HD555 - Should I do foam mod? (with CmoyBB)
Jan 14, 2011 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

trip221

New Head-Fier
So I have my HD555's and my first nearly completed cmoy amp.  This was my first venture into DIY electronics and I already want to build a CmoyBB with the separate bass control.

I don't have enough money to upgrade my phones at the moment so am thinking of doing the foam removal mod.  I've done a lot of searching and it seems like most people thought it was a good improvement, although I found a couple people who didn't like it and put the foam back in. 

So for any of you who have been using your modded ones for a while - was it worth it?  Any downsides?  Have you listened to them with a cmoy or cmoybb?  I'm definitely not going to do the soundstage mod and cut out the grills.

Thanks!

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Did it last night.  The bass does sound a little bit tighter, but I think that's about it.  Pulled a little too hard on one of the ear pads and it started separating, but just a little, no issues.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 8
It was a piece of cake to do, as long as you have small phillips screwdriver.  Jut be careful taking off the ear pads.  I ripped one a little, but you can't see it and it doesn't affect anything.

After further listening I notice the tighter bass, but nothing more.  I'd say it's worth doing, but don't expect any drastic changes.  If this really is what the HD595 sounds like I'm glad I didn't buy those instead.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
It was a piece of cake to do, as long as you have small phillips screwdriver.  Jut be careful taking off the ear pads.  I ripped one a little, but you can't see it and it doesn't affect anything.

After further listening I notice the tighter bass, but nothing more.  I'd say it's worth doing, but don't expect any drastic changes.  If this really is what the HD595 sounds like I'm glad I didn't buy those instead.

I think there's a video of this?  Is that how you learned how to do it?  Have the link by any chance? 
smile_phones.gif
  I don't have 555's yet, but I want to get them with the idea of specifically trying them stock and w/ the foam mod.

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back