HD555 improvement?
Sep 18, 2010 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

TAF94

100+ Head-Fier
 Since the news of HD558 becoming available soon I'm considering buying one. However, a  few years ago I bought H555 and it was so laid back and undynamic I returned it the same day I bought it. The weirdest part was during musical crescendos it was just so plain flat. I much prefered HD485, HD580, K240s and many others over them. Now, a few years later, after reading so many reviews saying HD555 turns awesome after a lot of use, I was wondering if I should have given HD555 more time. Will letting it play 100+ hours make HD555 more dynamic and involving and less laid back? I mean everything else about HD555 was great from what I remember.

Sep 18, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 3
from my experience the hd555 after using it for 4-5 months cleared up the mids/highs considerably as well as added more bass.  i also did the soundstage mod which involved removing the inner grill and it really made it awesome.  when are the hd558 coming out, i thought it would be a few years yet.  anyways, i had the hd555 and i can't stand them anymore after using my new ad700.  the ad700 are so much more detailed than i remember the hd555 being after burning them in, but they come close.  but if the ad700 are this good out of the box, i can't imagine how good they will be down the road.  but to answer your question, yes, the hd555 really do get better with time, you can't judge a headphone until it has 200+ hours on it, that is my drawing line.  most if not all headphones don't sound their best out of the box.  it's like life, you mature and learn over time, same things with the headphone drivers.  they are like little babies, then teenagers, then adults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back