HD515? Need some advice.
Sep 29, 2010 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jon41

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I used to be a gamer, but now I mostly listen to music and play only once in a while. I've read some positive reviews and decided to buy the Siberia V2, expecting it to be good all round headphones. Now that I've tried them, I think they sound really bad listening to music. I'm very disappointed. They seemed to have good specs (freq. response of 18 - 28.000 Hz and 50mm drivers) but I find the bass way too much for me and the mids and highs seem to be very far away and not clear at all. It improved a little after listening to them for two days, but still I think I prefer my old Sennheiser HD201, despite having almost no bass and very limited specs.

So I will get them back to the store and pick other cans (I can't get refund where I come from). At the store they have the HD448 and HD515 but no HD555 that everyone recommends. They do have the HD595 but it's double the price, I cannot afford them. No Audio Technica either. What do you think? I'm inclined to buy the HD515 but as they are open, I fear that other people in my house will hear them at night. I have other people living right across my room door.

I will use the headphones almost solely in my room, with my macbook pro. I listen mostly to rock and electronic music (but I don't like too much thumping bass) and I plan to watch some movies too. Also, I don't have any speakers right now, so the headphones will by my primary listening device, apart from my phone.

What do you guys think? The HD515 should be ok?

I'm looking forward to get some advice. Please don't mind if my english isn't accurate, it's not my first language.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #2 of 7
FWIR the 515s aren't a very popular model, maybe go for the 555s? Another thing, I doubt your macbook pro will be a good source for them. . . integrated sound is generally not good.

They won't leak sound bad enough to be heard in another room unless you listen to music really loud I think.

EDIT: oh sorry, I misread. . . no 555s. . .

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 7
I have never had a 515, Two weeks ago I just jumped into the decent headphones wagon with the  HD555.
I dont know much about the 515 but Sennheiser sells them as BASS headphones so tbh I woudnt go that way. I think the 515 have been ignored by the hi-fi comunity since the 555 is really affordable for most of folks and they  sound pretty much like the 595.

Maybe they dont have 555 in store because they have ran out of stock and they are waiting for the 558, which is the new models. Indeed the 515, 555 and 595 models are going to be replaced with the new . The first previews have been quite positive. 

The bad news is that being new models their prices are going to be around the retail official price, the 555 can (or could) be found a lot cheaper than what sennheiser states in their site.

I think Sennheiser is a good brand to start with because their (good) products seems to be balanced.

Satellite_6. The mac laptops and desktop have very good audio chips. Many laptop musicians use then because they dont really need external cards in their settings. They even have optical output.

Even my new Dell Studio has a pretty decent audio output and it works great with the Sennheiser 555.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a dell studio 17 w/ Creative sound and it's pretty bad - I'll take my Creative DAPs or my Cowon any day. . .

I find it hard to believe that any comps made my apple sound good, but I'll take your word for it b/c idk.

Sep 29, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the replies.

I should have known head-fi before... I totally screwed when I bought the Siberia's. The problem is I only have a few days to return the headphones. I still have other option though, I can try to sell the siberia's since they are very popular in the gaming scene and then buy the HD555 from another store.

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 7
sat now you put me in doubt. As I said I am pretty new into decent sound but I have always had good hearing.

Well I just wanted to say that I am quite happy with my dells performance, maybe it is not perfect but believe me it is WAY better than any of the desktop I have built. (well I mean the onboard sound of course)
My chipset is not creative though it is intel.

I am really enjoying my senns 555
smily_headphones1.gif
next year I hope to upgrade with a decent dac/amp, and maybe a new set of headphones and then Ill tell you about the quality of upgrade.

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
sat now you put me in doubt. As I said I am pretty new into decent sound but I have always had good hearing.

Well I just wanted to say that I am quite happy with my dells performance, maybe it is not perfect but believe me it is WAY better than any of the desktop I have built. (well I mean the onboard sound of course)
My chipset is not creative though it is intel.

I am really enjoying my senns 555
smily_headphones1.gif
next year I hope to upgrade with a decent dac/amp, and maybe a new set of headphones and then Ill tell you about the quality of upgrade.

Are you sure it doesn't have Creative sound?

I've actually been listening to my laptop for the past hour or so with my HD 485s and I'm really enjoying it actually. It's not amazing tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back