HD25-1 OFC cable!
Feb 21, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #31 of 52
I prefer to have the cable in the headband as designed. It's easy enough to get a 1/4" to 1/8" converter.

Feb 21, 2005 at 8:32 AM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
Glad you like your cable purchase, Lisa. Was the cable in stock by Thomann - or did they have to order the part by Sennheiser (which took a week or two to even produce) ?
cool.gif

It was in stock. Got it in just over a week after I placed the order.
smily_headphones1.gif

About portability, well I can understand where you're comming from. A three meter cable with a plugadapter can be annoying. I think saint.panda's solution is a nice compromise.
I use these headphones as my home closed phones. I have comfort issues with circumaural. So making the best of the HD25s makes perfect sence to me. But I think that if I were to use it portable I'd still replace the cable. Seeing that this €16 cable does more to improve the sound than a $100 amp!
And I like the one sided a lot, because for ones, it's on the good side!
cool.gif

insomniac,
Like saint.panda said. The cable that I got (#74532) is made for the HD25-13. And fits in the headband like the stock HD25-1 cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
Like saint.panda said. The cable that I got (#74532) is made for the HD25-13.

Just got a reply that EU is the only place to get replacement cable for HD25-13.

Quote:

We do not carry this cable at Sennheiser USA. You might want to contact the German headquarters or your local distributor to see if they can have it ordered for you. This is not something which we carry though. I apologize for any inconvenience that this might cause.

eu.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #34 of 52
I finally got around to swapping my cables. The difference is night and day. Unless you're on a really tight budget or don't care about your portable sound (which would baffle me, considering you have $150-$180 portable phones), you realy should upgrade this cable. The difference is not at all small. It really opens up another level of depth; it sort of kicks the hd-25's up a notch. It's like the bass was always there, but once you upgrade it you can finally hear the detail in the bass. I like what was previously said. It's like all the parts of the music are attempted to be crammed through this steel cable, but not all of it gets through. I think this is probably the most cost effective upgrade there is.

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #35 of 52
...and which cable did you upgrade to, cyrillic?

Feb 23, 2005 at 6:16 AM Post #36 of 52
I just tried the HD650 cable on it. I'll make a custom cable with a pair of the Senn connectors I got from the group buy.

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #37 of 52
I actually tried a HD650 Moon Audio Silver Dragon replacement cable on it and it sounded great. I'm just not going to spend $175 on a replacement cable for a headphone I paid about $150 for. Also, I'm looking for something that allows the headphone to operate as designed. That's why I thought the HD 25-13 was the best bet.

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrillic
I finally got around to swapping my cables. The difference is night and day. Unless you're on a really tight budget or don't care about your portable sound (which would baffle me, considering you have $150-$180 portable phones), you realy should upgrade this cable. The difference is not at all small. It really opens up another level of depth; it sort of kicks the hd-25's up a notch. It's like the bass was always there, but once you upgrade it you can finally hear the detail in the bass. I like what was previously said. It's like all the parts of the music are attempted to be crammed through this steel cable, but not all of it gets through. I think this is probably the most cost effective upgrade there is.

You are right. The difference isn't small.
This cable passed the "mother test" with flying colors.
That's when I put headphones on my mother, preferably her ears, and start switching switches, or connect to different amps etc. And just have my mother comment. She comments on everything so this is the easy part. The hard part is to keep her quiet while she listens.

Some results were:
The Headsave Classic was liked over the MINT instantly. But the MINT was fine too.
Later on she liked the NAD integrated amp too. She like the darker representation of the NAD. I like brighter sound than she does. Although she heard the things I pointed out to her about the classic that are superior. But I had to point it out.

Now the HD25 and its cables!
I let her listen to the OFC cable first. Told her to stop eating her apple for a moment.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Then changed the plugs and connected the steel cable (Stop eating that apple for a second!). Played the same music again and her reaction was, and I translate freely:

"Oh no no no, this is wrong. You only hear it here." pointing at the cups.
"That other sounded much fuller. You should do that other again. That what you let me listen to before! No this is no good. Is that other what you let me listen to the new cable? "
Me:"Yes"
Her:"Well, that was money well spent!"

I need to add that my mother is by no means an audiophile. As long as she recognises the song it's good enough for her. And she also a true Dutch woman. i.e. a bit cheap with money.

The mother test tells me if I'm in audiophile territory or whether there are differences everybody can hear clearly and consideres to be better.

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #39 of 52
"The mother test is the new frontier in the world of audiophiles"
redface.gif

Seriously, about all of us need to decontaminate ourselves a little, and return to the candid origins... It's the myth of the "good savage" from Rousseau reappearing at the window? That's for good...
600smile.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #40 of 52
Wow, how can I resist the cable upgrade after reading about the results of the Dutch mother test. Thanks Lisa! I have the HD-25s, and use them strictly for portable use, with my porta corda, and if there's such an apparent sonic diff with the OFC cable, then it's off to fellow NYCyers Insomniac's thread about the group buy. Thanks for all of the input!

- walkman666

Oct 27, 2005 at 4:54 PM Post #43 of 52
I just received my HD25-13 replacement cable,and a bunch of pads for various senns from Sennheiser Canada. The cable makes an immediate difference. The slight sibilance and grittiness in the treble seems smoother and hopefully with burn in this will get better. The cable is also much more pliant than the original, which is very stiff and with colder weather becomes extremely stiff.

I also put the velour pads on the 25-1's and this helps alot with comfort and heat retention. Not sure if there is any audible difference in the pads, but they sure are a b**ch to put on. Kind of like changing a bike tire.

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife

I also put the velour pads on the 25-1's and this helps alot with comfort and heat retention. Not sure if there is any audible difference in the pads, but they sure are a b**ch to put on. Kind of like changing a bike tire.

Not if you know how
biggrin.gif

Basically you turn the pad inside out and put it against the hd25 earcup, then simply flick the edges back and hey presto it's done. Easier to do than put into words.

Oct 27, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd
Not if you know how
biggrin.gif

Basically you turn the pad inside out and put it against the hd25 earcup, then simply flick the edges back and hey presto it's done. Easier to do than put into words.

Hmmm...does that work with bicycle tires as well?
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back