HD25-1 OFC cable!
Feb 20, 2005 at 10:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
After reading about how the stock cable of the HD-25-1 degraded the sound because it was made of steel instead of copper I started wondering if I should replace mine with a copper cable.
But I thought to myself: "What difference can it make? Probably some minor improvements".

So my first thoughts were that I rather get a new CD or two. But eventually curiosity got the better of me and I ordered the HD25-13 replacement cable #74532. A 3,5 meter cable with a nickel plated 1/4th plug from thomann.de

162626.jpg

The cable was surprisingly cheap (A lot cheaper than the HD580 replacement cable or the standard steel cable and way cheaper than what my local senn dealer asked for it = €52 !
eek.gif
) at €15,90.
I had to order for at least €25 and I ordered two pairs of HD414 pads along to mod, dye black and sell later in the for sale forums to get my €10 back
smily_headphones1.gif

Now to the sound differences!
Much much bigger than I expected. The easiest way to explain it is that the steel cable sounds like steel. You got the feeling that the music had trouble getting trough. It got there eventually but had to leave a lot behind.

The soundstage never got through the steel but it does through the copper. Was the music before just on two places nexts to your ears, now it's wider. If you heard the sound only in the cups before you would now think that the cups have grown to be five times their size.

The sound is much fuller. The music sounds more rounded. And smoother. A more relaxed sound.
Where the music felt strained, like it had trouble reaching the driver it now flows straight into your ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

The soundsignature of the HD25-1 doesn't really change much.

For ones I'm happy I let curiosity get the better of me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 52
Great to hear you like it ! I'm still waiting for the plugs to make such OFC experiment. I once tried a shorter copper cable but it was crappy one, so I can't really hear much difference. 52 euro is scaringly expensive price for stock hd580 cables, getting close to the Oehlbach one, if not mistaken.

Btw what's the length of your steel cable ? I'm looking for a 1.5m cable, if the original steel is that long you can recover some of your cost here.
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 52
Sounds fine. The HD25-1 is a good can that deserves a good cable.

For the sake of ...'what, I don't know' though, tha original cable mustn't be made of steel entirely. As far as I know, steel is a bad 'electric conductor', all the more reason totally unappropriate for audio purposes. It must be steel plated copper or something.

So how do you regard the HD25-1 now, compared to the MS-1 ?

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
tha original cable mustn't be made of steel entirely. As far as I know, steel is a bad 'electric conductor', all the more reason totally unappropriate for audio purposes. It must be steel plated copper or something.

Don't know how to look if there's any copper beneath the steel surface, but senn chose steel for its strength, good for strangling ... um, never mind.
biggrin.gif

All vintage senns that I have use this steel cable. They're not actually bad sounding - but I just can't get the 'steely' thing out off my mind. The bad part is that they're very microphonic - you can hear it on your phones (especially with closed cups) when you tap the cables.
mad.gif

Edit - Insomniac, I'm sure you can get them from Senn usa. There's a thread not long (3-6 months =) ago.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Edit - Insomniac, I'm sure you can get them from Senn usa. There's a thread not long (3-6 months =) ago.

I though the problem was that you couldn't.
frown.gif

I would do a froogle search for Sennheiser and the part number I mentioned and see what results you get. Otherwise I'd e-mail Thomann and see if they'll ship to the US. If you can find someone else in the US who wants this cable you can order two (or more) to cut back on the shipping and go over that €25 minimum you have to order. At any other place I've looked this cable is almost twice the price, or more than what I've got it for.

Nak Man,
Just a footnote.
My local dealer asked €52 for the HD25-13 cable, not the stock HD580.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
I though the problem was that you couldn't.
frown.gif

I would do a froogle search for Sennheiser and the part number I mentioned and see what results you get. Otherwise I'd e-mail Thomann and see if they'll ship to the US. If you can find someone else in the US who wants this cable you can order two (or more) to cut back on the shipping and go over that €25 minimum you have to order. At any other place I've looked this cable is almost twice the price, or more than what I've got it for.

Nak Man,
Just a footnote.
My local dealer asked €52 for the HD25-13 cable, not the stock HD580.

Thanks, Lisa. But the Senn USA site seems to only carry the replacement stock cable.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
So how do you regard the HD25-1 now, compared to the MS-1 ?

Only a quick hint if you will, it just sounds interesting.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Thanks, Lisa. But the Senn USA site seems to only carry the replacement stock cable.

Yes, that's what I said.
It looks like it doesn't get sold in the US.
frown.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac

Have you tried calling and mention the part number #74532 instead of asking for OFC cable ? No offense but I'm not sure the rep would be up to task to differentiate between OFC and replacement cable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa
Just a footnote.
My local dealer asked €52 for the HD25-13 cable, not the stock HD580

::fainted::

Btw this site has it for UKP 20 - less expensive than steel version, but still above 16 euro.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 52
I also had the 74532 cable (1/4 headphone plug as Lisa said) but sold it along with the HD 25 I sold. For my current HD 25 I ordered the 81435 replacement cable for the Hd 580 (1/8 headphone plug; better for portable players), also from Thomann, for 23,10 Euros. The only downside is the increased cable length and the additional costs obviously. However, since the Hd 25 doesn't neccessarily need portable amplification, the money could just as well be spent on a better cable and 15 / 23 Euros won't break the bank.
Glad you're enjoying the new cable!

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:08 PM Post #13 of 52
I was just thinking the same thing SP. Replacing the cable makes just as much, if not more, of a difference then an amp (MINT). So you're better of replacing the cable then spending $50-100 on an amp which you also have carry around.

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Don't know how to look if there's any copper beneath the steel surface, but senn chose steel for its strength, good for strangling ... um, never mind.
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, I am uncertain. Maybe with a chemical analysis ...suspect traces of copper may stand out.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:27 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Yes, steel cable works best...it never snaps..since I'm a KGB assassin
icon10.gif
whilst doing my milkrounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back