HD25-1 OFC cable!
Feb 20, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
Yes, steel cable works best...it never snaps..since I'm a KGB assassin
icon10.gif
whilst doing my milkrounds

Milkman ... 5x halcro ... now I understand where they came from !

600smile.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 52
Steel for the headphone cables, that’s the first time I have ever heard of one.

Edit: it seems to be true

Technical Description

Frequency response: 16 - 22,000 Hz

Nominal impedance: 70 ohms

Characteristic SPL: 120 dB

THD: < 0.3 %

Weight: approx. 140 g

Connection cable: detachable 1.5 m single-sided steel cable

Connector: 1/8 in. plug with 1/4 in. adapter

Feb 20, 2005 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 52
After replacing the steel cable with the 3m OFC cable, I found similar sound differences. The steel cable is somewhat harsh in comparison and after replacing it I realized that it was really holding the HD 25-1s back. I had mine shipped to the US from canford.co.uk, and I think it ended up costing me ~$50 including shipping. Pretty steep but definitely a worthwile upgrade to my primary DJ cans. Now if everyone could just bother SennheiserUSA enough so they start carrying this cable stateside!

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:47 PM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa
...I'd e-mail Thomann and see if they'll ship to the US. If you can find someone else in the US who wants this cable you can order two (or more) to cut back on the shipping and go over that €25 minimum you have to order. At any other place I've looked this cable is almost twice the price, or more than what I've got it for.

I want to get one, too, if insomniac, or anybody else, wants to go in on a "mini-group buy". I live in New York, not far from the city, incidently.

Feb 20, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
Sounds fine. The HD25-1 is a good can that deserves a good cable.

Depends on what you use it for. My use for the HD25-1 is entirely portable, where it can get unintentional abuse. I'm sticking with the standard cable unless I can get a strong OFC cable in the same configuration (including length)

Feb 20, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #23 of 52
[size=small]
I use the HD-25-1's with a Headphile 99.99% silver cable enhancement with the Sennheiser V2 connectors. I can easily detach the cable from the phones to minimize stress on the links and carry them both to work in my padded camera shoulder bag. What I love about Larry's silver cable is that there was never any real sibilance to deal with even when they were being broken in, even though he warn me beforehand that I might experience sibilance.

The HD-25-1's rugged construction makes it a terrific knockabout phone for portable usage. The silver cable enhancement lends it great detail which rivals my open air Grado SR-80's in sheer resolution. I think it handles the treble extremes better than the SR-80's, and it sounds more neutral across the entire frequency range.

I want (need!) to add a portable amp and DAC to my camera bag to have home quality sound on the go. I am leaning toward AOS' Flute, a portable amp and DAC, although I admit I was a bit intrigued about the past Coda/Overture HeadRoom special which was over before I even heard about it! I currently use the Sony D-EJ2000 as a portable source.
cool.gif

[/size]

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #24 of 52
Does the HD 25-1 use the same connectors as the HD 600 or the HD 650? Just wondering since I might be interested in purchasing the phones and don't want to ship the stock cables to Larry for the upgrade process.

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #25 of 52
I'm with bangraman on this one. I only use this headphone for portable use. I would need the same length cord with a 1/8" plug inorder for the OFC cable to be useful.

I wish one existed for a decent price.... :frowning2:

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #26 of 52
What's the problem about that ? 1/4" is a standard used in studios and is what the HD25-1 and HD25-13 was thought and designed for.
Cut the cable in your prefered length and solder on a 1/8" jack of choice, easy as that.

Yes, the HD25-1 plugs fit on the HD600/HD650 and the other way around too. Now you have a new problem: The additional cable length to the right headphone part
smily_headphones1.gif

Glad you like your cable purchase, Lisa. Was the cable in stock by Thomann - or did they have to order the part by Sennheiser (which took a week or two to even produce) ?
cool.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
I want to get one, too, if insomniac, or anybody else, wants to go in on a "mini-group buy". I live in New York, not far from the city, incidently.

I'd be happy to organize a mini-group buy. I'll put up a post to gauge interest. I've found 2 or 3 UK websites that are selling this cable. I'll find out about group discount/shipping discount.

EDIT: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=107572

Feb 21, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
I've found 2 or 3 UK websites that are selling this cable.

Have you tried calling them ? I think this is closer to your area.

Sennheiser Electronic Corporation

1 Enterprise Drive
Old Lyme, CT 06371

Phone: (860) 434-9190 | Fax: (860) 434-1759
Toll-Free: 877 736-6434
Hours: 8:30 AM - 8:00 PM (EST)
Monday - Friday

From New York: Take I95 North to Exit 71, Four Mile River Road. At end of ramp turn right, then take a fast left onto Hatchetts Hill Road (if you go over the highway, you've gone too far). Go 1/2 mile up the road. Sennheiser is on the left just after the pond.

Feb 21, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #29 of 52
I think I need something clarified? Are any of the Sennheiser HD25 replacement cables appropriately measured so that one plug goes into the headband?

Feb 21, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #30 of 52
Thanks for pointing out. The 74532 cable is single-sided and goes into the headband since it was designed for the Hd 25-1 / Hd 25-13 after all. The 81435 cable does not because it is not single-sided. For using the 81435 cable, the Hd 25 cups need to be inverted and the cable is attached to the headphone from both sides on the bottom just like a HD 580 replacement cable.

In this regard, the 74532 cable might be more convenient due to the single-sidedness but the 81435 has the 3.5mm headphone plug, which I think is more important. Unfortunately, you can't have both therefore for portability alone, the HD 25-1 stock cable is still the best bet: short, single-sided, 3.5mm plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back