HD 800 S Anniversary Edition
Sep 15, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #61 of 309
Seriously. No.

The HD 800 is analytical, the Audeze are warm and impactful. Totally different kind of headphones for different purposes. All the EQ in the world is not going to change their essence.

I wouldn’t call the LCD-4 impactful. It was really lacking in dynamics next to a Focal Utopia. So the technical capabilities of the LCD-4 is not what I would call special.

I did get some great bass performance out of the HD 800 with high-quality EQ’s myself. So maybe try to play with more EQ settings.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #62 of 309
Yeah it’s a bit underwhelming.

The original HD800 packaging had a nice cloth wrap inside the box

Yeah but the box is still cardboad and I didn't even get a balanced cable with mine. The stock cable is good quality but at the price the expectation is a protective case that doesn't look horrible after a week of use. A better presentation and some useful accessories so you don't have to go buy another cable on day one would have been a lot more encouraging.

Ah I see. Bass impact like in the Amiron or anything else? Trying to have an idea.
This colorscheme is very nice, exactly as how I like it but I can't justify the purchase.

I haven't heard the Amiron. The 800 isn't about impact at all, it's about space, finesse, detail. For me it's superb for big room music like orchestras and big bands. It's also great for checking a recording. I don't find it an all around set of cans and for most music i don't find it nearly as enjoyable as the HD 600. If you listen to mostly classical I think the 800/800S will be very difficult to beat for the money. But you need a good amp. Otherwise, it's great to have in the stable but probably won't be the first headphone you pick for most music.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #63 of 309
Seriously. No.

The HD 800 is analytical, the Audeze are warm and impactful. Totally different kind of headphones for different purposes. All the EQ in the world is not going to change their essence.
It can though. HD600Series cant, because their drivers are not capable, but HD800Series have very good drivers and they dont have much impact, cause they are more open than majority of headphones and have very very thin earpads that dont create seal that is neccesary.
Add thin earpads to Abyss and it wont gonna have bass.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #65 of 309
Yeah it’s a bit underwhelming.

The original HD800 packaging had a nice cloth wrap inside the box
As does my HD800S box, which dates to the time when Sennheiser included the 4-pin XLR cable rather than the later pentaconn cable. I don't know whether they skimped out on the satin cloth covering in later releases of the HD800S.

Sep 15, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #68 of 309
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 15, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #72 of 309
This is great news. It means there will be hundreds of HD800s on the used market and I can snag one for what it's really worth.

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #73 of 309
Sep 15, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #74 of 309
Y9molw2.jpg

The Woo Audio Gold stand matches well with the HD800S Anniversary Edition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back