HD 800 Cable dissection. What the hell am I lookin at?
Oct 14, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #50 of 54
[size=medium][size=13.0px]Balanced headphones do not require this connection, the only reason would be if the amp were to drive the XLR input of another device, such as a power amplifier, through a male-to-male XLR interconnect cable.

Info is from AMB’s site.
[/size]
[/size]

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #51 of 54
This is an old thread, but in case anyone is looking, I just got an HD800 and am thinking of how to get it balanced.  Reterminating the stock cable is of course the cheapest solution. Any thoughts on how stock balanced compares to say an Apuresound v3 cable? 

Thanks in advance for any tips,
 Paolo

May 27, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #52 of 54
Before I cut into my HD800 and destroy it, I’d like to know what this dissection of one channel means (I found this image on google). Why oh why are there 4 little wires, I was expecting 2 per channel. That would have made things alot easier. Now I am hopelessly lost.

Edit: I should explain that I’ll re-terminating to balanced.

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #54 of 54
I am recabling a standard HD800 cable to XLR-4 pin balanced.

Besides the 4 thin wires [red, green and 2 whites] what is the consensus on  connecting the 2 earth shields as well to pin 2 and 4 of the XLR Neutrik or should I leave them floating?

At the moment I have the left the 2 shields floating at the XLR-4-pin side but they are connected by the factory to the 2 mini Sennheiser connector shells at the headphone side...and the cable sounds pretty darned good....so do I leave it as is??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back