HD 800 Cable dissection. What the hell am I lookin at?
Jul 1, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #31 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ heah they have sent me the full catalogue of their stuff. man they do some pretty speccy stuff for robots etc. they sent me this massive high quality printed catalogue of their connectors in that range. not only did they send this huge package half way across the world for nothing; they sent it by DHL, so it was here in a matter of 3 days!! a massive catalogue with hundreds of high quality glossy prints in a big heavy duty ring binder.

Hmmmm.. you do know that its Part #: AXCLOC-PO2BCCO-0001 as others found out right?

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #32 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a very impressive cable for a 1400 dollar headphone.

^^ You can say that again, in fact it is downright depressing to see that in flagship model!

frown.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevesebastianb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ You can say that again, in fact it is downright depressing to see that in flagship model!

frown.gif

I don't get it...
Tell me what kind of cable you'd rather see?
confused.gif

From what I can see, sennheiser went to great lengths to minimize crosstalk, capacitance, interference, and microphonics, even into the theoretical realm where it might benefit the signal much beyond the audio frequencies or to several magnitudes below a detectable range, but short of entering cable voodoo.
They also managed to make, from what I can see a very durable(and I'm guessing flexible) cable, that minimizes fatigue, memory, and stress on the conductors from repeated bending/kinking, movement, and accidental pulling.

On the other hand, they could've layered techflex for a shiny, magical effect, quad-braided 18g wires for a spectacularly impractical cable, and/or claimed to use a new proprietary technology that increases clarity & detail, tightens up the bass, and widens the soundstage of your music.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #34 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm.. you do know that its Part #: AXCLOC-PO2BCCO-0001 as others found out right?

APureSound will be offering these connectors for DIY very soon - you'll have to ping Alex for specifics, but he will be one outlet where these are available.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #35 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
APureSound will be offering these connectors for DIY very soon - you'll have to ping Alex for specifics, but he will be one outlet where these are available.

Thanks good to know.. thought I have mine... You never mention if you got yours in parts or how you got a hand on them etc?

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #36 of 54
I ended up buying a v3 from Alex, and he used my stock cable as his proto for reterminating to 2x XLR. He placed a larger order, and I hitched a ride, while my HD800 was his guinea pig to make sure all was as expected.

Besides, I did not need the minimum quantities they demanded, nor were they offering engineering samples to individuals. Always a complication.

Jul 6, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #37 of 54
johnwmnclean,

How far back from the cut did you go in order to allow room to get the XLR connectors soldered in place? I'm figuring about six inches, which should give plenty of space to separate and connect them.

Jul 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #38 of 54
ServinginEcuador,

I matched my Stephan Art Equinox cable, from memory it was quite a bit longer than 6 inches. On my amp the jacks are either side of my volume knob, so I needed the y junction a fair way into the cable. Have a look at the apuresound site, there's great photos to reference. I'll measure it tonight and let you know.

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #39 of 54
John,

My amp has the two connectors about an inch apart, so I figure 6" of play should be enough.

I went to APureSound, and it only shows how to disassemble the 580/600/650, there's nothing about the HD800.

Either way, the surgery was a success, and I'm now sitting here typing while listening to a balanced cable running my HD800!! It's a bit ghetto, but works fine.

I hooked the red pin to pin 2 of one connector, and the green to pin 2 of the other. Whites both went to pin 3. It's weird because the red + Senn wire goes to the white XLR connector, while the green + Senn wire goes to the red XLR connector.

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #40 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John,

My amp has the two connectors about an inch apart, so I figure 6" of play should be enough.

I went to APureSound, and it only shows how to disassemble the 580/600/650, there's nothing about the HD800.

Either way, the surgery was a success, and I'm now sitting here typing while listening to a balanced cable running my HD800!! It's a bit ghetto, but works fine.

I hooked the red pin to pin 2 of one connector, and the green to pin 2 of the other. Whites both went to pin 3. It's weird because the red + Senn wire goes to the white XLR connector, while the green + Senn wire goes to the red XLR connector.

Congrats, I would love to hear the Phoenix/HD800’s, how is the bass?

Jul 7, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, I would love to hear the Phoenix/HD800’s, how is the bass?

John,

Since it's only running SE inputs it's not much of a change, if anything at all. The iPod DAC is likely the culprit for the sound in my system. Hopefully my Great Northern Sound Company modded Wadia 170i arrives in the next day or two. That'll cure whatever the iPod DAC is doing to my rig.

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #42 of 54
I'm wiring these up to a balanced XLR4. I know the XLR pins are wired like this:

1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

What do I do with the shield? It seems that the shield is connected to the "sleeve" portion of the TRS connector along with the two left and right white returns. They are also connected, each respectively,  to the metal plugs at the headphone end of the cable. This was verified with my DMM.

1. Don't connect the shields to anything?
2. Solder each shield to its respective white return (-), then solder those to the appropriate (-) XLR pin?
3. Twist both shields together and solder to the ground pin at the top of the XLR?

Just wanting to confirm this before I continue further.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #45 of 54
4 pin XLR

3 - Green - Right+
4 - White - Right-
1 - Red - Left+
2 - White - Left-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back