HD 800 Cable dissection. What the hell am I lookin at?
Jun 14, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is the chuck within the XLR plug is clearly not going to be adequate with this gauge of the cable. Your right though they all have strain relief, if you’re referring to the chuck.

I use heatshrink with glue to make the cable that is going to fit in the strain relief thicker. Its will hold up nicely, at least it works for me.

Jun 14, 2009 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neutrix, hardly boutique nonsense.

You just need to adapt and overcome then. I've made the neutrik strain relief work with cables of all sorts of diameters. Hint: try trimming the chuck to reduce the amount of clamping force it tries to apply.
wink.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #18 of 54
if you use plenty of flux with a solder pot or the tip trick I told you about and reasonably high heat, there should not be any residue left on the wire, the flux will carry it away. I agree that the cable is well designed for stock and one of the best i've seen as far as shielding etc, but 32AWG is still pretty piss-weak if you ask me.

yes the connector has been found, in the process of talking with the company about it. not cheap though

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:58 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone really going to be getting anywhere close to running 500mA of current through the stock cable?
rolleyes.gif

No but I think guys need more skin effect. Smooth highs, etc.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #22 of 54
also if a thin silver (but still larger than this) solid-core wire (perhaps even rectangular or foil based) is used, there will be in fact LESS skin effect than a thin stranded wire

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also if a thin silver (but still larger than this) solid-core wire (perhaps even rectangular or foil based) is used, there will be in fact LESS skin effect than a thin stranded wire

244023_9.png

Jun 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #24 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is anyone really going to be getting anywhere close to running 500mA of current through the stock cable?
rolleyes.gif

Are we counting Kevin Gilmore or are "crazy people" excluded?
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #25 of 54
Exclude the crazy people, and there will be none left.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #26 of 54
I'm with Nate. That's one of the more better designed/constructed cables I've seen.
I'd prefer a thicker conductor for any kind of DIY work, but I suppose that's irrelevant when they're being factory-terminated. It does a lot of things right that most after-market 'boutique' cables fall short in, and I like the round construction much better than those hd650-style zip cables, even if it adds some unnecessary bulk.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #27 of 54
emphasis on rectangular, but I get your drift ED. the main thing for me is being able to choose the conductor and termination to a better quality connection. not that i'm even that tempted as yet to get these. the best construction of course to get rid of skin effect is many very thin individually insulated wires rather than regular stranded. but you are correct that my statement/wording there left me with my pants down to a degree
tongue.gif
note to self; do not post matter of fact statements when tired as buggery. stupid thing is, my head is spinning on all the R&D on skin effect ive been doing lately for digital cables. so many different opinions on it. I do like foil wires though.

as I stated earlier in the thread; it does appear to be a very well constructed cable for a stock cable; one of the best ive seen, so to improve on it, there is more required than just using better wire.

I do still feel its too thin though LOL, but thats just me

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #28 of 54
Wooo thats my picture up front on the OP's original post (cheese -cheese I know=) and is from when I togtherwith some local Sennheiser guys stripped the cable we where going to study and use for my balanced set (still no 'phone yet thought
frown.gif
) anywho... Its really as people said thought there seems to be different cable colors depending on what you strip down and which goes for which speaker. But the most white is always the return and the rest is easily mesured out with a multimeter. I solved the problem with the neutrik strain relief not catching on by using heatshrink tubes with glue to add an extra layer untop of the 4 wirepackeges. The 2 other wires of pure rubber are for structural design BTW - think of them like strain reliefs and such in the wire. Its due to the QA concept of Sennheiser where everthing has to be several times normal duability standards if possible - one of the reason Sennheiser doesn't do low-end products: simply impossible to make duable enough within the price segment.

Edit: connects was found to be ODU stuff btw at ca. 9 USD a peice but they are pretty strict about who and how many they want to sell and as far as I know there is quit some delay getting them.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #29 of 54
^^ heah they have sent me the full catalogue of their stuff. man they do some pretty speccy stuff for robots etc. they sent me this massive high quality printed catalogue of their connectors in that range. not only did they send this huge package half way across the world for nothing; they sent it by DHL, so it was here in a matter of 3 days!! a massive catalogue with hundreds of high quality glossy prints in a big heavy duty ring binder.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #30 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use heatshrink with glue to make the cable that is going to fit in the strain relief thicker. Its will hold up nicely, at least it works for me.

That was what I meant...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back