HD 800 Cable dissection. What the hell am I lookin at?
Jun 12, 2009 at 3:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

johnwmclean

Aka: capone, bignurse.
Before I cut into my HD800 and destroy it, I’d like to know what this dissection of one channel means (I found this image on google). Why oh why are there 4 little wires, I was expecting 2 per channel. That would have made things alot easier. Now I am hopelessly lost.

Edit: I should explain that I’ll re-terminating to balanced.

Jun 12, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 54
I think it is safe to say that this cross-section is from the main body of the cable, not up close to the ear where the two channels have broken-out to their respective sides. So with that, my guess is that what you are seeing is the red (hot) and white (return) for the right channel and the black (hot) and white (return) for the left channel. One thing we can be sure of is that the white wire is the return for each channel. So just confirm that red is right and black is left before you button-up the job.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMac69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is safe to say that this cross-section is from the main body of the cable, not up close to the ear where the two channels have broken-out to their respective sides. So with that, my guess is that what you are seeing is the red (hot) and white (return) for the right channel and the black (hot) and white (return) for the left channel. One thing we can be sure of is that the white wire is the return for each channel. So just confirm that red is right and black is left before you button-up the job.

That would make total sense, I thought is was one channel. Getting really nervous about doing this now (balanced only amp). Having to hack a $1400 phone is not much fun.

Thanks JayMac69.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #5 of 54
The pic was posted on Head-fi a couple of months ago or more, I forget when exactly. I guess there are 2 wires per channel with shielding around them.

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 54
It's not uncommon to have 2 grounds either which may be what JayMac was getting at

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #8 of 54
The easiest way to do reterminations correctly is to test which wire is which using the tail end you just cut off--multimeter T/R/S to whatever wires you have inside. And for balanced, of course you want to check on the other end if the grounds are tied.

Jun 14, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #9 of 54
Thanks for all the responses, Heli from apuresound has been most helpful in providing information I needed, here are some tips for other people who are interested or need to terminate the stock HD800 cable over to (2) 3 pin XLRS:

As for tips in re-terminating I watched Alex do 2 pairs so far I would
say overall it is straight forward. Watch out for when you remove the
left and right rubber coverings since this cable is shielded you don't
want to cut all the way through the shield. The 2 wires behind the
shield are your +/- for each side. The red side is left + and green is
right +. The other wires are the return wires. You can wire up the
shield to pin 1 in the XLR connector so it works as an active shield as
long as your amp is setup for it. You may be able to remove the thin
insulation off of the wires either by a lighter or a very hot soldering
iron, but this isn't ideal since it melts and burns which will leave a
residue on the wires. The insulation is thin enough to where if you
score it on one or two sides you should just be able to peal it off with
enough force. The main thing you need to work out if how to make sure
you won't pull the cable out of the XLR connector since the wires will
not be of much help holding it in place. The process is not hard or very
especially if you have the proper tools. Just be careful and don't rush
it. If you mess up you will have to simply cut further back on the cable.

I’ve been really impressed with apuresounds responsiveness for the help I needed, considering there was nothing in it for them as a company. Goes to show you there are still companies around that have great work ethics.

So impressed am I that I’m in the process of ordering one of there V3 cables for the HD800, once the connectors are available should be around 2nd July
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #11 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a very impressive cable for a 1400 dollar headphone.

Not at all, 32 AWG
angry_face.gif
Most of the XLR plugs I know don’t come with strain relief either. I’m going to have to glue the ends to fasten the cable.

Jun 14, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 54
Thanks for passing that on jwm.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm tossing up the idea of braiding up some OCCC myself and getting connectors from APS for a re-cable.

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a very impressive cable for a 1400 dollar headphone.

I disagree, completely. It's the best looking (construction-wise and aesthetically) stock cable I can think of. Sure the conductors are small but they're perfectly adequate and exceptionally well protected.

And johnwmclean, what XLRs don't come with their own strain relief? Must be some boutique nonsense and I certainly wouldn't fault Sennheiser for not making their cable to accommodate that. I'd yell at teh XLR manufacturer for only making half a product if they expect the end user to deal with strain relief. I don't care how large your conductors are, you should always have a strain relief. It's one reason I no longer use Cardas 1/4" plugs.

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #14 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And johnwmclean, what XLRs don't come with their own strain relief?

The problem is the chuck within the XLR plug is clearly not going to be adequate with this gauge of the cable. Your right though they all have strain relief, if you’re referring to the chuck.

Quote:

Must be some boutique nonsense

Neutrix, hardly boutique nonsense.

Quote:

I certainly wouldn't fault Sennheiser for not making their cable to accommodate that.

Agree, got no argument from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back