hd 650s!
Jan 7, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #16 of 106
Waiting is the best part...when the actual result comes its fun too...but waiting is still the best IMO, you get to fantasize about how awesome it will be, how many things you want to listen to with it...

Jan 7, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #17 of 106
Wait till you hear them balanced. I really don't like these headphones single-ended but balanced they're one of the best headphones you can get at any price. They really do keep scaling and scaling as your associated components go up in quality.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #18 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait till you hear them balanced. I really don't like these headphones single-ended but balanced they're one of the best headphones you can get at any price. They really do keep scaling and scaling as your associated components go up in quality.

OMG. This is why I'm going to delete the bookmark and block the head-fi site forever and ever. I get my HD650s and LittleDot in a few days. Don't tell me there is more. I can't afford more...unless I sell a kidney. Hmm ...nope. Delete and block it is.
tongue.gif

3 days and counting.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #19 of 106
wow, i havent even plugged in my amp yet, and they are already faring so well. all in a matter for 3 hours. the "booming" voice effect in ventrilo servers is slowly going away. the bass seems like its more mellow instead of the doof doof sound out of a poor subwoofer. they have also started to loosen up (fit wise) around my head. didnt bend the metal or anything. i wear rubber gloves just when i touch these...too expensive to even look at the wrong way. so no bending of the metal will be going on
smily_headphones1.gif
i couldnt really distinguish the notes in beethovens 9th symphony. it seemed as if they were getting muddier and muddier as i lowered the volume but now theres better separation of instruments. i can isolate the violins in my mind. the soundstage isnt as wide as my 595s YET. hopefully that will improve as the burn in goes on. as of right now (after 3 hours of burn in) i think i prefer my 595s. but the exponential rate at which these 650s are improving i dont know how long that opinion will stay.

ps. still trying to find a camera =/ will post more sometime tomo.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:37 AM Post #20 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG. This is why I'm going to delete the bookmark and block the head-fi site forever and ever. I get my HD650s and LittleDot in a few days. Don't tell me there is more. I can't afford more...unless I sell a kidney. Hmm ...nope. Delete and block it is.
tongue.gif

3 days and counting.

i say sell the damn kidney...you only need one. besides who needs a kidney when you got good toones
biggrin.gif
hope you enjoy your 650 as much as i am right now. it truly is a treat.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #21 of 106
Congratulations on your new pair of HD650s. I couldn't wait for my pair when they arrived in November last year. What I liked most was the packaging, as you can use the case for storage. They are a bit bass heavy, but it does help with listening at higher than normal volume. Listen to some well recorded music, especially choral music, and you'll be amazed at how smooth these cans are.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #22 of 106
You haven't plugged in the amp and you're preferring the 595s to the 650s?!? That's like saying a Ford is just as fast as a Ferrari when both aren't moving!

I just packaged up my Heed for return, and for giggles, plugged in my 650s into the headphone out of my 0404 USB. It was AWFUL -- and there's an amp in there! It sounded like the 650s had a head cold and a sinus infection and smokers' lung.

I can't begin to imagine what they would sound like directly out of my iPod or iPhone.

Plug in the amp. Run music through it and the 650s. In between burn-in, sneak a few listens. They're headphones not glass figurines! DO IT NOW!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #23 of 106
i think the bass has a little ways to go. its there but its a different kind of bass. i dont know how to explain it considering my short introduction to this lovely hobby but im sure you understand. its more abrupt and not as smooth as my 595s.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #24 of 106
I gotta say.

I have been an active audiophile for 20 years (sweet jesus, has it been that long?). I have built many, many pairs of speakers from transmission line to rear horn loaded. I have built single ended vacuum tube amps and preamps.

I have managed to turn off the voices in my head with the HD650 and DarkVoice 336i combo. It is a balm to my weary soul.

And I haven't even gone balanced yet!

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #25 of 106
I just re-read the thread and you said you didn't have an line out. Ain't there a Rat Shack nearby? This calls for a buy-listen-and-return maneuver with cable and adapter.

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #26 of 106
i already ordered a pair of belkin audio outs from newegg as per penchums suggestion. they were supposed to come in today but they didnt >< and i just could stop listening to the cans to even bother going to radio shack even if it was just for a day. so i will plug in the amp when i get the cable tomo.

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #27 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

3 days and counting.

There is more. The thing is, you shouldn't be in a rush to get there unless you're not satisfied with what you have right now. $3-5k on a rig may seem like a lot, but after 2-3 years on head-fi, you tend to accumulate a ton of peripheral stuff you don't need, until one day you sell all of it off and get a serious rig that you never thought you could afford. Then, you accumulate more peripherals you don't need (more expensive ones this time) and the cycle continues.

Besides, upgrading components is fun. The trick is to not get addicted to discovering newer and better sound and not lose sight of the music. In the end, your enjoyment of the music is the only thing that matters. If your current rig is not letting you enjoy the music, then it's time to move on.

Personally, I've liked the sound of my portable (X5L and ES2) for a long time and don't really feel the need to change anything, but it took a lot of trial and error to get there. I haven't had a main rig that I was happy with for all of my 3+ years on head-fi until a few weeks ago when I plugged in the HD650 into my Dareds, purely on a whim.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #28 of 106
9:18am

14 hours into burn in...wow. everything i said earlier i take back. they are about the same level as 595s but are now getting increasingly annoying with lower quality music i have. even with 256kbps music, i can hear hisses in the back ground in certain passages. i know its not noise because its only certain passages. the echo effect for higher frequencies is starting to go away. the bass is smoothing out even more. less doof doof more bass that kinda goes deep in your head and lingers there for a few milliseconds.

ps. if someone can translate that to head fi speak i would greatly appreciate it, would help me learn the terminology as well since i dont know what the name is for the things im experiencing hehe.

Jan 8, 2008 at 2:29 PM Post #29 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9:18am

14 hours into burn in...wow. everything i said earlier i take back. they are about the same level as 595s but are now getting increasingly annoying with lower quality music i have. even with 256kbps music, i can hear hisses in the back ground in certain passages. i know its not noise because its only certain passages. the echo effect for higher frequencies is starting to go away. the bass is smoothing out even more. less doof doof more bass that kinda goes deep in your head and lingers there for a few milliseconds.

ps. if someone can translate that to head fi speak i would greatly appreciate it, would help me learn the terminology as well since i dont know what the name is for the things im experiencing hehe.

That's you adjusting to the HD650s
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #30 of 106
this might sound a tad lame but when i was growing up my dad used to listen to a lot of metallica and i didnt particularly enjoy it then. now i think they are the greatest ever but thats a different story. also, i used to read a lot when i was a kid and had this odd habit of listening to a cassette (yes i grew up in india on a sony walkman and cassettes, cd's didnt hit us until a few years ago) over and over again while reading a book. once the book was finished i would pick up another one and yet another cassette and the process went on for quite a long time. i truly enjoyed reading and the music just accentuated the effect. id say a good robert ludlum novel had the same effect on me that music does on vaughn
biggrin.gif

soooo, i think it was the summer after i had finished 4th grade (why is it always the summer in these stories?) and was reading congo by micheal crichton and listening to kill em all by metallica just to see what the fuss was all about and why my dad enjoyed their music so much. *back in present day* i woke up around 9:30 am, still groggy, put on my headphones and found this flac recording of kill em all. and i dont think anyone can imagine this but try to if you can. i was literally picked up from my chair and slammed against the wall. i have heard the same recording a buncha times on other headphones (including the 595s) and NEVER EVER was i instantly taken back to that summer after my 4th grade. i could almost feel myself lying there in bed late at night listening to motorbreath, reading my novel and telling my annoying sister that i would read one more page and then turn off the lights...hehe yeah right. but anyhow, it took me back to the exact moment one of those nights. it was raining outside so it was kind of humid in the house and the curtains were moving because of a slight breeze. if i werent such a manly man i would break down and cry right now because very seldom do you get to experience your past in such vivid clarity. especially a memory that you cherish so deeply.

music may not be able to cure cancer but it sure as hell has the power of time travel thanks to these hd 650s. i dont know if theres better sound out there and im quite certain there MIGHT be but i think its safe to say im in love. not the kind of love that you say you have fallen in just because its new but the kind that really makes you grin ear to ear and lasts for a really really long time.
biggrin.gif

thank you my new 650s. heres to many more countless nights that i hope to spend with you.
biggrin.gif
now if only i could do something about my pesky gf ><

hope everyone has a lovely day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back