HD 650 vs. RS1 vs. HE-500 for Rock Music
Dec 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
Where would you say the HE-400 stands in this comparison? Maybe it's expected that HE-400 < HE-500, but how about HE-400 compared to HD650?

Actually HE-400 (velour) was also tested in the same round. For me HE-400 > HD-650, no question about it. If I did not have access to HE-400 the HD-650 would be my next choice. HD-650 + sufficient amp > Denon, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado, Ultrasone, Audio-Technica (disclaimer: of course I have not heard everything available in the world and according to my taste)

For me the difficult choice is between HE-400 and HE-500 paired with the fundamental economical question is it really worth the money to get HE-500 + required amp over HE-400. I hope to answer this question for myself this week :)

Dec 2, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:
Actually HE-400 (velour) was also tested in the same round. For me HE-400 > HD-650, no question about it. If I did not have access to HE-400 the HD-650 would be my next choice. HD-650 + sufficient amp > Denon, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Grado, Ultrasone, Audio-Technica (disclaimer: of course I have not heard everything available in the world and according to my taste)

For me the difficult choice is between HE-400 and HE-500 paired with the fundamental economical question is it really worth the money to get HE-500 + required amp over HE-400. I hope to answer this question for myself this week :)

If you want a more refined and "full" sound, then HE500s are worth every penny of upgrade over HE400.

HE400s are intentionally coloured to have a more energetic and fun presentation though, you will not get nearly as much excitement in the HE500's voicing, which is close to neutral with a touch of warmness.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:
Are the ear pads that come on the RS1's known to be the most comfortable, or do most spend a little extra to get some other variation of pads?

They sound best with the stock bowl pads (L Cushions) - others just muddy their sound.  Though, you might try the stadium pads (G Cushions), which are stock on the GS1000's and PS1000's - to add a bit more soundstage and air... but... you'll likely have to play them a bit louder to bring up the mids.  The G Cushions work very well on the PS500's, which come stock with the L Cushions.  

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:
Bump, just curious if anyone has any suggestions for an amp to use with Grado RS1s.

MAD Ear+ HD is reportedly one of the best to drive them.  They do sound great with my WA6 SEm.  And... of course... the Grado RA-1 is designed for them... and... they do sound great with it.  

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

MAD Ear+ HD is reportedly one of the best to drive them.  They do sound great with my WA6 SEm.  And... of course... the Grado RA-1 is designed for them... and... they do sound great with it.  

another vote for the WA6-SE. worked great with my RS1, my RS1i, and my 325is,

isn't the RA-1 supposed to be a cmoy in a wooden box?

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #39 of 40
My HD650 doesn't sound very good with classic rock music (Rolling Stones & The Beatles), I wish it faster and more forward.
I listened to RS1 a few times with Bon Jovi music and I am quite pleased with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back