HD 650 vs. RS1 vs. HE-500 for Rock Music
Dec 1, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #16 of 40
Currently own the HD650 and HE500 and I do think the Hifiman is the better headphone.
As for Grado,I also have the HF2 which I prefer at the moment over the Sennheiser,Hifiman and even my LCD2.
But I guess it is just a phase!
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 40
Hi,
for me the HD650 is the most comfortable,more so when I switch from the HE500 or LCD2 back to the Sennheiser....then they are like a feather!
Overall they are all "wearable" as you are(should be) focused on the sound and not the headphone.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 40
Yeah, true enough. I'm just a little concerned about the comfort levels since at times I've worn headphones for 8+ hours with really no ear pain. So I guess I was wondering if a lot of audiophiles tend to listen to their music for long or short periods of time and how comfort comes into play with that.

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #20 of 40
I can only speak for myself and I hardly listen for longer than 2 hours without break.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #21 of 40
from these 3, i know the rs1/rs1i give u such an amazing experience with rock music, unmatched in the headphone world. however, the he-500 from what ive heard, are superior headphones that would also work better with other styles of music and might be a bit more comfortable

(more ppl can deal with the added weight than the natural uncomfortableness of the grados, which isn't always too bad since the RS1 are super light).

the HD-650 are great headphones, but aren't as good for rock as the other too. they dont have the energy or detail in the midrange needed for rock.

if your library collection is primarily rock/alternative/metal, and mostly that, you cannot go wrong with grado, you will love, love, love them, forever.

Dec 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #22 of 40
I've owned the RS-1, and have the Sennheiser HD-650 now. I've never owned the Hifi-man, so I can't comment.

I haven't owned the HD-650 for long (just a few days really), but I still like to maintain that neutrality is best for long listening sessions, even for rock music.

Indeed, with the RS-1, there was a certain quality to it that let you "rock out" to the music, but the forward, and brighter sound, to me, did get tiring after short periods of time.

With the HD-650, however, it feels like I'm constantly going back to it, just to listen to music. I think the easier tone has a lot to do with it.

So, with the RS-1's, you get greater impact, but for me, personally, I could only do it in short bursts. Whereas with the HD-650, I'm listening to music more consistently.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #23 of 40
the RS1, especially the i version is anything but bright. it can be a little harsh (especially the older rs1 which can be shouty at times), but i wouldn't consider them bright or fatiguing.

the hd-650s are however much smoother and more laid back. i wouldn't consider them neutral by any means. they are heavily colored.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #24 of 40
Really? I actually had a thread on the subject (here), and someone posted a review where professionals found the Sennheiser HD-650's good enough for studio monitoring. They wouldn't use them for studio monitoring if they weren't neutral.

Also... you say the RS-1's aren't bright, but they're harsh... where does the harshness come from? Of course, my memory could be wrong, since it's been over 10 years since I've listened to them, but I do remember them being bright.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #25 of 40
can't always trust all reviews. they can be used for monitoring, but it isn't recommended.

the hd 600s are neutral, and have been used in studios for their sound.. the hd 650s however aren't neutral. they are laid back, thick and smooth, with a slightly elevated bass and not much treble.
 they are also too forgiving of flaws, which kinda defeats the purpose.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #26 of 40
So, I shouldn't trust other peoples' reviews, but only yours?
tongue.gif
I mean... these are professional studio engineers. I think their experience carry some weight.

Neutral can be a relative term. The 650's may not be completely neutral, and I know the general consensus is the 600 is more neutral than the 650, but I think if professionals are okay with the 650's, then it seems to me, they are "neutral enough". Also, when you compare then 650 to the RS-1, then yes, indeed, the 650 is waaaaaaaaay more neutral than the RS-1.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #27 of 40
Any amp recommendations for the three? Also, how many ear pad variations are there from Grado? Thus far I've heard of flats and bowls. Are the Grado RS1s equipped with the bowls right out of packaging?

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:
I've owned the RS-1, and have the Sennheiser HD-650 now. I've never owned the Hifi-man, so I can't comment.

I haven't owned the HD-650 for long (just a few days really), but I still like to maintain that neutrality is best for long listening sessions, even for rock music.

Indeed, with the RS-1, there was a certain quality to it that let you "rock out" to the music, but the forward, and brighter sound, to me, did get tiring after short periods of time.

With the HD-650, however, it feels like I'm constantly going back to it, just to listen to music. I think the easier tone has a lot to do with it.

So, with the RS-1's, you get greater impact, but for me, personally, I could only do it in short bursts. Whereas with the HD-650, I'm listening to music more consistently.

I'm pretty much in agreement with this which is why I still have them both. In terms of comfort, I often forget I have them on so comfort is only a factor when I first put them on and position them. For sound, depends on the source/recording. My files are all HQ, but when browsing a site like youtube, that's when I favor the HD650 because it is so forgiving.

Dec 2, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

I'm pretty much in agreement with this which is why I still have them both. In terms of comfort, I often forget I have them on so comfort is only a factor when I first put them on and position them. For sound, depends on the source/recording. My files are all HQ, but when browsing a site like youtube, that's when I favor the HD650 because it is so forgiving.

Possible noob question here, but what do you mean when you say "forgiving?"

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:
Possible noob question here, but what do you mean when you say "forgiving?"

Good question. To clarify, a forgiving headphone refers to a sound signature that has relatively lower high-frequency energy/response. In poor recordings and source files, there could be all kinds of unwanted/unintended pops, clicks, 'swish' sounds and other compression artifacts introduced to the audio. There is less emphasis on these sounds when using HD650 compared to a headphone like Grado. However, some will consider this trait as a compromise because some instruments may sound too distant or attenuated. Interestingly enough, sibilance isn't inherent to headphones with strong HF response. My copy of the sr325is that has more HF energy actually exhibits less sibilance than most headphones I own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back