HD 650 - My thoughts and dilemmas
Dec 1, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #16 of 20
I wouldn't really agree with the M-Stage to go with the HD-650. I wasn't very impressed when I had that setup.

That being said, I kept the M-Stage and sold the HD-650.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #17 of 20

Quote:
I wouldn't really agree with the M-Stage to go with the HD-650. I wasn't very impressed when I had that setup.

Maybe it was that you just didn't like the HD650s? I wasn't a huge fan either.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #18 of 20
I think a lot of the problem that I have is that I don't have the proper knowledge of audio terms to correctly articulate what I really want..all I can say without a shadow of a doubt is that I don't like the Hi-Fi sound of my current setup, being 650 from STX with electronica music..but I do like it with the EQ I posted a screenshot of earlier..I am not sure if any amount of hardware would change the sound of the cans to what I want them to be, which I guess was my initial question.

Quote:
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525551/headamp-gilmore-lite

Is this the G-Lite you were talking about?  You think this is the best budget amp for the 650?  Does it matter that I prefer a lot of treble and a warmish sound, as shown by the Dance preference  on the EQ?  I am not sure if amps provide specific sound signatures or not, which is why I ask.

Quote:
Quote:
Welp for me it's more about quality..if I need an amp that is going to take up my max budget then I have no problem getting that and a DAC later..based on your recommendation I can assume that you think an amp is a bigger upgrade than a new DAC right now?

Yes, an amp will make more of an impact with your HD650s. I recommend maximizing that purchase first and worry about a better DAC down the road.

Yes, that's the amp. It's quite balanced and should help with the recessed treble on the HD650s and tighten up the bass a bit too.

If you like really warm and lush, then a tube amp would be ideal.

Dec 1, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 20
I find this to be fully plausible and that is part of the reason why I created this thread..I am having a tough time to tell if I simply don't like the 650's, or if I am not driving them properly so I have no clue if I truly like them or not, for example.  Unfortunately, I have slim pickens to choose from to do A/B comparisons, but I did enjoy the Audio Technica AD700's while I had them, and I could probably still get a hold of a pair for a comparison but it's not really apples to apples..

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe it was that you just didn't like the HD650s? I wasn't a huge fan either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back