HD 600's or WH-1000XM3 / QC35's?
Apr 16, 2020 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DucksEverywhere

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, beginner here.

I'm looking for multipurpose headphones with emphasis on sound quality (music, listening to my guitar plugged in and gaming). I listen to rock / metal and would like something with good bass.

I currently use my HyperX Cloud II gaming headset for all of the above. I'm looking for a new pair of headphones which will blow me away with sound quality in comparison to my current setup.

Wires do not bother me, but I must be able to listen plugged into a smartphone / unamplified source.

I'm considering the Sennheiser HD 600, yet I hear it requires amplification for proper usage. Perhaps the Sennheiser HD 598's may be a better option in this respect, but since I can afford the HD 600's I feel I'm compromising sound quality slightly.

I'm also looking at more versatile headphones - Sony WH-1000XM3 and Bose QuietComfort 35 series ii's. Would I see any significant improvement in sound quality over my Cloud II's? My guess is that coming from a £60 gaming headset to even just the Bose or Sony would have a huge difference in sound quality but I'm unsure.

Regardless, I'm sure many of you will recommend a Hi-Fi headset as opposed to the consumer headphones. As a beginner it would be great for recommendations of headsets under £300.

All input is welcome, thanks in advance :)

Apr 16, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 10
You may be disappointed with the bass impact on an HD600. You're also comparing very different headphones here. Noise cancelling headphones are not gonna offer equal sound quality to normal headphones, but do you need to block outside noise? Because if so you're definitely not gonna want open headphones like the HD600s. I'm not much of a gamer but I know people who swear by the 2nd gen beyerdynamic MMX 300 as being great for gaming and having great sound quality. If you want open headphones the Philips Fidelio X2s are a good choice with pretty good bass

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 10
I have the Sony's. They are damn good for travel and closing out outside noise, but they are not nearly as good sound quality wise as my Hifiman 400s that were $100 less.

The HD600's are a high impedance headphone (300 ohms, if I recall correctly), and you will most likely want/need to get a headphone amplifier to get the most out of them.

The MMX300's seem to be well regarded on the internet for gaming.

Apr 16, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked into the Philip Fidelio X2's and they look promising since they're very affordable.
I'm not a huge fan of the MMX300's because of the non-detachable microphone I'd be stuck with.
Are there any particularly popular / highly rated closed back headphones with a lower sound signature you could recommend?

Apr 16, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the suggestions, I've looked into the Philip Fidelio X2's and they look promising since they're very affordable.
I'm not a huge fan of the MMX300's because of the non-detachable microphone I'd be stuck with.
Are there any particularly popular / highly rated closed back headphones with a lower sound signature you could recommend?

Beyerdynamic DT770s might be worth a look

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Awesome, now it's just a toss up between the DT 770 and X2.

Since I need to drive these from my phone, I assume I'd have to get the 32 ohm edition? Or since Beyerdynamics are known to be easy to drive, could I get away with the 80 ohm model?

Is there any notable difference between the Philips X2 and X2HR? I believe I shouldn't have any problem driving these with a phone.

I can get the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's for £94.00, which opens the possibility of buying an amplifier, although I still want to play through phone when I'm not at my computer.

Alternatively, the Philips X2HR I can get for £155, in which case I may not buy an amplifier.

Thanks again.

Apr 16, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 10
The X2 and X2HR are essentially the same headphone. There was a revision with the pads at some point, I think that's the only difference. You will probably want the 32 ohm DT 770 if you want to use your phone. The 80 ohm might be a bit of a stretch for most phones. The Fidelios will be fine without an amp

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Just looking at reviews of my current HyperX Cloud II's and the Beyerdynamic DT 770's, and feeling very discouraged. It seems they are very similar sounding headphones according to a few places. Anyone able to add to this?

Apr 21, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #10 of 10
I have both the Sony WH1000xm2 (very similar sounding to the XM3's) and the Sennheiser HD598 Sr full sized headphones. Whilst I consider both of them to be excellent headphones, they are also very much chalk and cheese. If I had to choose just one out of them both, it would be the Sony's. I find their sound quality really quite nice and they're definitely more useful than the Sennheiser's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back