HD 600 vs HD 650
Mar 21, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #166 of 441

Quote:
Don't borrow trouble, Timbeh. If the sound of your HD600 has developed to the point you're really digging it there is almost zero chance that an HD650 will knock your socks off and seem hugely better. Sure, you might like the '650 better than the '600 but you just as easily might think it's a step backward. But in my opinion you've got a good thing going and there's no need to wonder if you woudla, coulda, shoulda bought something different. The HD600 is a very nice headphone that a lot of folks prefer to the HD650.

On the other hand..... 
evil_smiley.gif

But seriously, Timbeh, the difference between the two is basically what shows on the graphs, which is that the 600 is more forward in the upper mid/lower treble area and thus more incisive, more detailed. Personally I don't care for it for that reason as to my ears it makes strings (I listen to classical) a bit harsh and wiry, but other people feel it has the perfect balance. The 650 is a bit more laid back and lush, with more bass--a bit more forgiving. Hope that helps.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #167 of 441
BTW, my headphone is an HD650 which i love to death and I wouldn't even consider switching to an HD600...or anything else. Man that is a smooth, warm listening experience.

But I'm sure the '600 is fine too!:D

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #168 of 441

Quote:

It can in fact chip off, and it is paint. The pair I bought have some chipping, but it's barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. It's just more obvious on the hd650s I think because of their lighter colour and non-speckled finish. 

I'm curious as to what the 650s would sound like. The hd600s have slightly less bass then I like, but the clarity is amazing and makes up for it. Waiting to see how the bottlehead crack sounds (compared to my MSSH) with them before I decide to try a pair of 650s.   

Really? My bad then. I have tried the 650 a couple of times and it always seemed like I had to be careful with its headband, I never get that feeling with the 600s. What color is it below the coating? I was always under the impression that the 600 headband was molded plastic with a bit of carbon fiber, while the 650 was painted metal.

As far as the sound goes, I thought that the 650 had more of a mid-bass punch but the 600 may have more lower bass clarity and extension. I've always heard that the Crack sounds amazing with both, but most listeners seem to prefer one headphone over the other.

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #170 of 441
Most of the paint chipping on the rims of headbands looks like it comes from people trying to improperly stretch the phones to relax the lateral grip.

For anyone interested there is a thread somewhere deep down that does in-depth, but basically what you should do is flex the metal bands that attach the drivers to the head band. It's made of spring steel and it'll bend so you need to be gentle, but firm. 

Mar 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #171 of 441

Quote:
BTW, my headphone is an HD650 which i love to death and I wouldn't even consider switching to an HD600...or anything else. Man that is a smooth, warm listening experience.

Absolutely, but without lacking bite. With classical I find the 650 losses nothing of the rasp and blare of brass instruments, and that's perhaps the severest test. Nor does it sound more bassy or lush than I hear in the concert hall. It's not perfect (what is?), but I believe the balance is close to perfect, and those who find it too warm and smooth have perhaps got used to over-bright phones. I would just like the teensiest-weeniest bit more sparkle at the very top. If Sennheiser could add that to their next model without changing anything else I'd be a happy man--but I'm a happy man anyway. Here's a smiley to prove it.
mad.gif

Oops, wrong one....
etysmile.gif

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #173 of 441
Thanks for the input. I will keep the HD 600´s, i´m happy with the sound (i upgraded from 555´s), and changing them would just jinx it i suppose 
redface.gif

And for future HD800 / LCD-2 could be an option.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #174 of 441

Quote:
Absolutely, but without lacking bite. With classical I find the 650 losses nothing of the rasp and blare of brass instruments, and that's perhaps the severest test. Nor does it sound more bassy or lush than I hear in the concert hall. It's not perfect (what is?), but I believe the balance is close to perfect, and those who find it too warm and smooth have perhaps got used to over-bright phones. I would just like the teensiest-weeniest bit more sparkle at the very top. If Sennheiser could add that to their next model without changing anything else I'd be a happy man--but I'm a happy man anyway. Here's a smiley to prove it.
mad.gif

Oops, wrong one....
etysmile.gif

For some recordings I completely agree with you.......

So why not just EQ it a little bit and accentuate the sparkle....  it's there already!....
beyersmile.png

Mar 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #175 of 441
Does anyone who has had both feel that the HD-600 is slightly more grainy or less clear? I'm trying to remember if my old HD-600 was the white screened version or the old one. My pair always had a slightly muffled sound to it, like a thin cloth was covering the driver. With my HD-650 I never felt this way.

When I got the white screened HD-650 recently the level of detail and how clear the sound was, was a HUGE improvement. It was actually BRIGHTER! I'm not sure how that's possible. Even female vocals sound better and more clear.

As it is right now I'm not a fan of the HD-650's bass at all. It's not that it's too bass heavy, but I just don't like it. Well I guess it does have 10% more than I'd like and too much mid-bass.

I'm tempted to return it and hope to get a white screened HD-600.

Don't hate me, but I prefer my DT-880 because I prefer a thinner sounding and more neutral headphone. HD-650 sure is one good headphone though. They do make a good pair.

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #177 of 441

Quote:
For some recordings I completely agree with you.......

So why not just EQ it a little bit and accentuate the sparkle....  it's there already!....
beyersmile.png

I do. Not EQ, which I happen not to believe in because it invites interminable fiddling, but a slight boost from the treble control on my Onkyo integrated. 1:30 does the trick just fine.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #178 of 441
A lot of people think the HD650 has muddier bass, I used to think that too back when I used to have tube amps - ever since I got a high quality SS amp (headroom max) the bass really tightens up and I can see why the HD650 was Senn's flagship for almost 10 years after replacing the HD600.

- FW

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #179 of 441
Just a few minutes ago I was listening to a couple tracks off the Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac album on my HD650/Asgard combination. I'd also thought it was at least a borderline muddy mix every other time I've listened to that album. Nope, it's tight as a drum in the mid-bass. Not really what I associate with their album sound but it's apparently always been an artifact of my listening setups over the years.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #180 of 441
I really want to try a solid state source. . . starting to think tubes are silly. I wouldn't call the bass muddy on my setup, but it's not as clear as the mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back