HD 600 vs HD 650
Aug 21, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #196 of 441

Quote:
On the HD600, the older version isn't as sharp in the treble as the new version and I prefer the older model. 

popcorn.gif

Aug 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #197 of 441
Ahh, yeh I must've mixed up between bright and more treble presence.

Thanks! I'll judge by the price difference then, if I end up not being able to audition any

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #198 of 441
I'll revive this thread once again because I just bought a set of HD650s. You want to know what the real difference is? Well, in the old days, and I was around back then, the HD600s were sought after because they had hand picked, matched drivers. If you read the literature now, it's the HD650s that have the hand-picked drivers.

Sennheiser HD650
- Engineered for music
- Hand-selected, matched headphone systems with very tight 
tolerances (+/- 1 dB)

I've own matched speakers before (with match drivers) and that does wonders for imaging. For this reason alone, I went with the HD605.

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #199 of 441
i definitely have the 650s and based off what i've heard, i would rather have the 650s due to their better bass and their nice warm sound. i think the 600s would be more neutral (less "recessed" highs and more neutral bass response), i almost feel like the hd 600s are simply a cheaper version of the hd 800s (the 650s have a different sound all together to make that comparison). 

nevertheless, i would love to one day hear a pair of hd 600s or maybe buy some, personally i think they look cooler than the 650s. 

Sep 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #200 of 441
Quote:
i definitely have the 650s and based off what i've heard, i would rather have the 650s due to their better bass and their nice warm sound. i think the 600s would be more neutral (less "recessed" highs and more neutral bass response), i almost feel like the hd 600s are simply a cheaper version of the hd 800s (the 650s have a different sound all together to make that comparison). 

nevertheless, i would love to one day hear a pair of hd 600s or maybe buy some, personally i think they look cooler than the 650s. 

Other way around and inverted.  The HD600's actually began as a limited-edition run of the HD580's, Sennheiser's flagship headphone at the time.
The HD800 is a more expensive version of the HD600, which came first.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #201 of 441

Quote:
Quote:

Other way around and inverted.  The HD600's actually began as a limited-edition run of the HD580's, Sennheiser's flagship headphone at the time.
The HD800 is a more expensive version of the HD600, which came first.

This is correct. I almost forgot this bit of Sennheiser lore. What was the in-between model called. Didn't it have some special name. I can't remember it now.

I just got my new 650s today and I've been listening to them all day. Very pleased with my purchase. I've owned the 580, 600 and now the 650 and what they say (well, what some say) is true. The 650s are the king of that trio (580, 600, 650). I think the recessed and veiled quality is very overhyped. To hear some people talk, you'd think they'd sound like they're playing from the bottom of a barrel covered with wool bankets. Hogwash! What I hear a much more refined, sweetened treble. I fine the bass more natural that the 600 which I always found a little too impactful. But most of all, you can hear the quality of these cans right off the bat. The detail, the ambience of good records is all there. The sound is very smooth and accurate -- a great combination. I think they're are more of an audiophile headphone than the 600 because they are less forgiving of poor recordings. I'm finding MP3 of questionable quality unbearable. The 600s, because of their dash and impactfulness help you to overlook the failings in lesser recordings -- like a good dance number covering up mediocre singing. Whereas the 650 are like sitting in a small cafe paying attention to every aspect of the sound. Very black background and so nicely detailed and smooth. Love the 650s. The 800 are crazy money (I always thought they were) for the money now separating the 600s and 650s it no now question which I'd buy again. I bought my 650s from Razordogdeals on ebay. He's a very nice guy who gives you personalized service (good communication) and the warrantied Senns came oh so nicely factory-fresh. Ah, the smell... Yes, now that I've owned the great Sennheiser triumvirant, what Headroom was saying was right. The 650s are (or were) the best headphone in the world at one point and are still certainly ONE to hear!

Okay, here's a crazy audiophile example of how accurate these phones are. I'm listening to a vinyle rip of Fiddler on the roof and I can clearly hear the actor's voice echoing off the upper walls of the theater. Holy cow, ever notice that before. And perfectly placed acoustically! Wow, reference quality for sure.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #202 of 441

Quote:
 To hear some people talk, you'd think they'd sound like they're playing from the bottom of a barrel covered with wool bankets.

ouch harsh, who said that!?!??!?!!??

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #203 of 441
I understand how the HD650 can sound "veiled" but I don't agree when the term "laid back" is used, as I find my HD650 pretty damn intimate; any closer and it would become annoying and intrusive.

I think terms like "upfront" and "laid back" are way too vague, as they don't tell the whole story. I think "room filling" is far more apt a term for the HD650, as that reflects far more on their capabilities. Some headphones are upfront, but that's all they seem to be, as if there's no space for the music to breathe. Others are far too distant and lack intimacy. The HD650 is the best of both worlds -  a more natural position. You wouldn't sit right next a set of speakers or within a musical ensemble; why should headphones be any different?

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #204 of 441
Thinking of going for the 650's.   My purpose for them is to use in the studio for "neutral - ish" referencing hp's.

Hopefully they'd be the better choice over 600's ??

All this because I very sadly have to sell my LCD 2's due to cervical spine issues and there inherent weight.
Painful decision. :frowning2:

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #205 of 441
Can never sell my HD600....totally happy with the sound...bass is more than enough and HD650 really dont perform as well across different genres

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #207 of 441
When the 650s first came out I prefered the 600/Cardas combo.  I had the Zu Mobius with the 650s.  Fastforward after a break from Head-Fi.  Bought another set of 600s lighter color drivers?  Still sound great, but "less veiled". I hate that term.

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #208 of 441

Quote:
 What was the in-between model called. Didn't it have some special name. I can't remember it now.

I think you mean the limited edition (4000 units if memory serves) HD-580 Jubilee 50th Anniversary Edition.  It later morphed into the HD-600 :)

I enjoy reading the Senn HD600/650/800 threads.  Gives me a feel of what I might opt for if ever my tweaked HD-580s give up the ghost :)

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #209 of 441
I loved both and am saddened that I couldn't keep both :frowning2:

The HD650s have really textured bass and the mids are amazing. I definitely agree with the people above - the veil isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

The HD600s were so revealing and had me saying "WOW" the first day I got them because of all the details that I had never heard before.

Dec 2, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #210 of 441
^^ are FUN. HD 650's are sweet every once in awhile. If I had to keep one, it would be 600, but it was a tough choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back