HD 600 vs HD 650
Jan 25, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #151 of 441
 Has anyone here used the HD600 or HD650 with the Audio-GD Sparrow / FUN / Compass? I have a Sparrow, but I'm wondering if it would be enough to really let these headphones open up, particularly in terms of soundstage. From what I've read, they tend require higher end amplification in order to move the soundstage away from being "claustrophobic." Any thoughts?

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #154 of 441
Hey guys. I just wanted some input and this seemed like the most recent thread. I just yesterday got a pair of HD650s. I've used them to listen to music for about, eh, 10 hours since then, and I played pink noise while I slept last night, about 6 hours. I have a DAC/AMP combo NuForce Icon-2.

I find that there is like anemic, totally underwhelming bass. Bass guitars are audible, but not present. I can hear notes but not, you know, say that it has any presence. (I'm not expecting the bass oomph of speakers.)

OTOH, drums are insanely detailed. Holy crap. I wish I were a drummer, because I feel like I'm learning a lot about songs I used to think I knew. Instrument separation is great, in general, but when music gets busy/loud it gets a little muddy. (I'm listening to a bunch of ALACs of MSFL recordings.)

Listening to the HD650s from my iPhone 4, they sound about the same as through the Icon-2. The Icon-2 may round out/expand the sound a bit, but the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to drive them poorly. My only point of reference is an old pair of Alessandro MS1s, which don't seem to gain from the amp, but I think the DAC aspect makes separation a little more pronounced. 

My question is this: Did I totally flub this DAC/amp purchase? Is the Icon-2 not capable of "properly driving" the HD650?

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #155 of 441
I don't have any experience with the Icon-2 but anemic bass and hd650s should not be in the same sentence.  Your iphone 4 (ask anyone around here) will not drive your hd650s properly.  If you find your icon-2 similar in output to your iphone 4 then I'd be inclined to point the finger at that.  I've heard the Nuforce HD drives the 650s well (same price as your icon-2) - if you still can send it back and get the HD.

Edit: Oh while I'm at it I'd heartily recommend the Audio GD Fun I use too.  Same price too.

Jan 25, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #156 of 441

Quote:
Hey guys. I just wanted some input and this seemed like the most recent thread. I just yesterday got a pair of HD650s. I've used them to listen to music for about, eh, 10 hours since then, and I played pink noise while I slept last night, about 6 hours. I have a DAC/AMP combo NuForce Icon-2.

I find that there is like anemic, totally underwhelming bass. Bass guitars are audible, but not present. I can hear notes but not, you know, say that it has any presence. (I'm not expecting the bass oomph of speakers.)

OTOH, drums are insanely detailed. Holy crap. I wish I were a drummer, because I feel like I'm learning a lot about songs I used to think I knew. Instrument separation is great, in general, but when music gets busy/loud it gets a little muddy. (I'm listening to a bunch of ALACs of MSFL recordings.)

Listening to the HD650s from my iPhone 4, they sound about the same as through the Icon-2. The Icon-2 may round out/expand the sound a bit, but the iPhone 4 doesn't seem to drive them poorly. My only point of reference is an old pair of Alessandro MS1s, which don't seem to gain from the amp, but I think the DAC aspect makes separation a little more pronounced. 

My question is this: Did I totally flub this DAC/amp purchase? Is the Icon-2 not capable of "properly driving" the HD650?

Perhaps you're just used to the flabby and exaggerated bass that many on Head-Fi seem to love. Give your ears time to adjust and try to hear the HD650 on a setup that does some justice to it before passing judgement.

Jan 25, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #158 of 441

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. I don't suppose that you could compare the soundstage to the HD555/595s?

Strangely, I haven't been had a chance to spend quality time with the HD555/595, despite being very popular models. I have to say they are similar in soundstage (IIRC), but the fuller sound of the HD600/650 make them less airy.

Perfect, that's just what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #159 of 441
I'm a bit concerned with the durability of the HD600/HD650, especially with the headband. Do both headphones use the same headband, or are they different? It seems like all the posts I've read about broken bands have been about the HD650, but they appear to be pretty much the same headphone in terms of the basic construction. 

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #160 of 441

Quote:
I'm a bit concerned with the durability of the HD600/HD650, especially with the headband. Do both headphones use the same headband, or are they different? It seems like all the posts I've read about broken bands have been about the HD650, but they appear to be pretty much the same headphone in terms of the basic construction. 

Same headband. Unless you have an unprecedentedly large head I don't see the headband BREAKING, but the paint chips on each over time for most people. I have a used HD600 (was in kinda dirty condition overall, but I repainted the grills and cleaned all the parts, looks great now) that has a little bit of chipping. I just received an HD650 with zero chipping, I was very pleasantly surprised.

Jan 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #161 of 441
IDK if people are still interested in this thread, but... After letting my new HD650s burn in to pink noise for a few evenings, the bass and everything has really opened up. Sounds great.

The biggest downside is that they've turned unlistenable one of my favorite, top-5 albums of all-time: Kanye's MBDTF. I knew the album was poorly made (too compressed, clipping) but with the HD650s, it's pretty bad. A converse upside is that I notice all sorts of cool things happening in other songs that seem like they should have been audible before, but were not.

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #162 of 441
Heya. I received my HD 600 last week, and i´ve been listening to them pretty much over the week, and while they are burning in (trebles were pretty awful when i first listened them, it couldn´t have been just my imagination) i´m starting to really like the sound of them. 

My setup is PC optical - CA Dacmagic - Lehmann Rhinelander -HD 600.  Now i would perhaps have opportunity to switch them to HD 650´s, but i´m not sure is there any point? I´ve never heard HD 650´s, but imo the bass on 600´s is very close to comfortable limit to me atm.

Is it such a big difference with 600 vs 650? My usage is gaming 45%, movies 15% and music 40%, about.

Thanks in advance

Mar 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #163 of 441

Quote:
Same headband. Unless you have an unprecedentedly large head I don't see the headband BREAKING, but the paint chips on each over time for most people. I have a used HD600 (was in kinda dirty condition overall, but I repainted the grills and cleaned all the parts, looks great now) that has a little bit of chipping. I just received an HD650 with zero chipping, I was very pleasantly surprised.

confused_face_2.gif
 The paint can't chip off the headband of the HD600 because it's a molded carbon fiber polymer and not painted like the HD650 headband, which is prone to chipping issues. The grilles are a different story though.

Mar 21, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #164 of 441
Don't borrow trouble, Timbeh. If the sound of your HD600 has developed to the point you're really digging it there is almost zero chance that an HD650 will knock your socks off and seem hugely better. Sure, you might like the '650 better than the '600 but you just as easily might think it's a step backward. But in my opinion you've got a good thing going and there's no need to wonder if you woudla, coulda, shoulda bought something different. The HD600 is a very nice headphone that a lot of folks prefer to the HD650.

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #165 of 441

Quote:
 The paint can't chip off the headband of the HD600 because it's a molded carbon fiber polymer and not painted like the HD650 headband, which is prone to chipping issues. The grilles are a different story though.

It can in fact chip off, and it is paint. The pair I bought have some chipping, but it's barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. It's just more obvious on the hd650s I think because of their lighter colour and non-speckled finish. 

I'm curious as to what the 650s would sound like. The hd600s have slightly less bass then I like, but the clarity is amazing and makes up for it. Waiting to see how the bottlehead crack sounds (compared to my MSSH) with them before I decide to try a pair of 650s.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back