HD 600 vs HD 650
Feb 11, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #136 of 441
Quote:

I found the HD600 stock cable to have a fuller and richer sound than the HD650 cable

Now this really goes to show we all have different ears! I have tried many different sources and amps and I found the Cardas cable to be one of the best upgrades I could find for the money. Granted I didn't pay full price, but still if you have even a decent amp I would get a better cable. If you wheel and deal a little you can end up with a great cable for a good price.
wink.gif

This is really a first for me about the stock 600 sounding "fuller" than the stock 650
confused_face_2.gif
talk about a wrench in the mix! oh well...to each his own!

(Even Sennheiser says the 650 cable is better; it just makes common sense that a thicker cable using the same type of copper wire would offer less resistance, even over ten feet. But hey, whaddo I know?)

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #137 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now this really goes to show we all have different ears! I have tried many different sources and amps and I found the Cardas cable to be one of the best upgrades I could find for the money. Granted I didn't pay full price, but still if you have even a decent amp I would get a better cable. If you wheel and deal a little you can end up with a great cable for a good price.
wink.gif

This is really a first for me about the stock 600 sounding "fuller" than the stock 650
confused_face_2.gif
talk about a wrench in the mix! oh well...to each his own!

(Even Sennheiser says the 650 cable is better; it just makes common sense that a thicker cable using the same type of copper wire would offer less resistance, even over ten feet. But hey, whaddo I know?)

The 600 cable does seem to veil the higher frequency range a bit IMO, so perhaps that gives the perception of a "fuller" sound? It was really the details that seemed to change for me; when A/B'ing against each other (600 vs 650) I thought the 600 cable was fuller too. But every time I went back to the 650 cable, I realized there was still the same of amount of bass, just more treble, and therefore the overall emphasis changed.

But to each his own; at the end of the day it's what sounds best to you that matters.
atsmile.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #138 of 441
Quote:

The 600 cable does seem to veil the higher frequency range a bit IMO, so perhaps that gives the perception of a "fuller" sound? It was really the details that seemed to change for me; when A/B'ing against each other (600 vs 650) I thought the 600 cable was fuller too. But every time I went back to the 650 cable, I realized there was still the same of amount of bass, just more treble, and therefore the overall emphasis changed.

But to each his own; at the end of the day it's what sounds best to you that matters.
atsmile.gif

I think this is very much akin to the sound of the 600s seeming more detailed to some. Because the 650s reproduce the entire spectrum a little better it can seem that they are less detailed in the upper end. After several weeks of comparison, my ears became accustomed to listening to the 650s. I found that because they reproduce the bottom end a little better than the 600s it can seem they lack the detail until you have become accustomed to listening through them. There are times when I might prefer the 600s (with the Cardas cable) with certain music, but as I listen to a wide range of genres I found I reached for the 650s most often. My only real claim has ever been that I hear the 650s to be the better "all round" headphone. As always, another person's ears may prefer either one.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #139 of 441
Quote:

I think this is very much akin to the sound of the 600s seeming more detailed to some. Because the 650s reproduce the entire spectrum a little better it can seem that they are less detailed in the upper end. After several weeks of comparison, my ears became accustomed to listening to the 650s. I found that because they reproduce the bottom end a little better than the 600s it can seem they lack the detail until you have become accustomed to listening through them. There are times when I might prefer the 600s (with the Cardas cable) with certain music, but as I listen to a wide range of genres I found I reached for the 650s most often. My only real claim has ever been that I hear the 650s to be the better "all round" headphone. As always, another person's ears may prefer either one.

I'm curious which cable you are using with the 650s? Stock? If so, have you ever tried the Cardas with the 650s? I've always heard the Cardas gels best with the 600s, but I never hear much about use with the 650s. Curious for my future endeavors...

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #140 of 441
I initially bought the 600s with a Cardas cable. I then bought the 650s and had the two sets of cans for several weeks. They both came with their respective stock cables, so I had plenty of time to do comparisons with the different cables and headphones.
I ultimately decided that I liked the sound of the 650s with the Cardas the best and sold the 600s with their stock cable. I have always described the sound as more "muscular" for lack of a better term. I am not all that comfortable using other people's terminology, as it can mean different things to different people. (I suppose muscular can too, but it was the word that came to mind when I tried to describe the sound to a friend when comparing them to the 600s "leaner" sound.) I have read and heard from others that a silver or silver/copper alloy cable brings out the best in the 650s and the Cardas brings out the best in the 600s. That said, I have been very happy using the Cardas with the 650s since deciding to keep the 650s.
A couple of weeks ago at a meet, I finally heard my 650s with an Enigma Audio silver/copper alloy cable. Although meets aren't the best place to audition anything, I was very impressed with what I heard. As the owner was selling it I was tempted to buy the Enigma cable there and then. I'm not one to spend money impulsively so I said I'd think about it.
I recently bought a new Headstage Arrow portable amp and am in the process of buying a portable player. I had used this amp to audition the cable. As it was a 4ft. "shorty" cable at a good price, I figured what the hell and ended up buying it after all. I will be receiving it in the next couple of days and will report back what I hear once I have some time to listen properly.
Kind of a long answer to a short question
redface.gif
so if all you are asking is if I like the 650s with the Cardas, the answer is yes.

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #141 of 441
Quote:

I initially bought the 600s with a Cardas cable. I then bought the 650s and had the two sets of cans for several weeks. They both came with their respective stock cables, so I had plenty of time to do comparisons with the different cables and headphones.
I ultimately decided that I liked the sound of the 650s with the Cardas the best and sold the 600s with their stock cable. I have always described the sound as more "muscular" for lack of a better term. I am not all that comfortable using other people's terminology, as it can mean different things to different people. (I suppose muscular can too, but it was the word that came to mind when I tried to describe the sound to a friend when comparing them to the 600s "leaner" sound.) I have read and heard from others that a silver or silver/copper alloy cable brings out the best in the 650s and the Cardas brings out the best in the 600s. That said, I have been very happy using the Cardas with the 650s since deciding to keep the 650s.
A couple of weeks ago at a meet, I finally heard my 650s with an Enigma Audio silver/copper alloy cable. Although meets aren't the best place to audition anything, I was very impressed with what I heard. As the owner was selling it I was tempted to buy the Enigma cable there and then. I'm not one to spend money impulsively so I said I'd think about it.
I recently bought a new Headstage Arrow portable amp and am in the process of buying a portable player. I had used this amp to audition the cable. As it was a 4ft. "shorty" cable at a good price, I figured what the hell and ended up buying it after all. I will be receiving it in the next couple of days and will report back what I hear once I have some time to listen properly.
Kind of a long answer to a short question
redface.gif
so if all you are asking is if I like the 650s with the Cardas, the answer is yes.

Back when I owned HD650, I mostly used them with Enigma Audio cable (the older one). I did own like four different cables for them and ultimately decided to stick with Enigma Audio. Cardas was easily the worst aftermarket cable for HD650. HD600 which I now own is perfect match for Cardas cable. Cardas brings up the bass and makes the sound more balanced. As we all know, HD650 doesn't need that bump for basses so that's the main reason why Cardas doesn't work that well with them.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #142 of 441
Cables, Headphones and ears; ears, headphones and cables. It's interesting how we all seem to agree on basic principles, but we all hear things very differently!

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #143 of 441
Quote:

HD600 which I now own is perfect match for Cardas cable

I would probably rather say that the Cardas cable is a perfect match for the 600s as I try to "tweak" or coax the most from the particular can whose basic sound signature I prefer (for the majority of my music). IMO the Cardas makes the 600 sound more like the 650 without quite as much bass/depth whereas the Enigma (from what I have heard so far) sharpens things up and defines them a little better for the 650s smoother/deeper sound.
I thought we were primarily discussing stock headphones initially. Things have gone a little off course from there with the discussion turning more towards accessories & upgrades than the headphones themselves.
The Cardas cable might not be the perfect match for the 650s but it certainly improves their sound enough for what it cost me. I'm not sure it "bumps" anything as opposed to offering less resistance because of it's construction.
The Enigma being at least partially silver offers a brighter sound, as I have heard/learned silver does with any headphone (I don't know why it does). So, to put things as succinctly as possible (after a fair bit of rambling
redface.gif
)
Stock headphones with even a good amp: I prefer the 650s
Either headphone with Cardas: too close to call really but I prefer the 650s because of their "across the spectrum"" deeper sound. (I think it's hard to argue against the "signature" of the headphones regardless of your ears, but I'm pretty sure some still will
wink.gif
.)
Either headphone with the most complimentary cable/amplification: I prefer the 650s. (I have heard them both on $5-$6000 set-ups at different meets.)
If I had to pay full price for an aftermarket cable I'm not sure I would, as I don't have a lot of disposable income. Both stock headphones are excellent value in the current market and spending an extra $100 or so to pull the most from either doesn't change this. Regardless of my own choice, I can certainly understand and appreciate why someone would prefer the 600's.
Not much more to say really....(I think their is a "voting" thread on this somewhere, if people really want/need to make their decision based on others' sound perception/preference (not so succinct after all, but I tried).

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #144 of 441
Quote:

I would probably rather say that the Cardas cable is a perfect match for the 600s as I try to "tweak" or coax the most from the particular can whose basic sound signature I prefer (for the majority of my music).

Anyway you want to put it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways for HD650 there are plenty of better cables than Cardas.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #145 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway you want to put it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways for HD650 there are plenty of better cables than Cardas.

My point was that although there may be "better", the Cardas is still quite an improvement over the stock cable and a worthwhile upgrade if you can find one for a good price. I ended up with mine by default and have not found a better replacement at a decent price until recently. Good, better, best....all come at a price. Some feel the improvement gained by aftermarket cables isn't worth it, period. I believe it can be if you are patient and wait for a deal (or money is no object). If money were no object, I'd own both cans and likely a few more!

Jan 24, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #147 of 441
I have the HD 595 now and am finding it too bright and forward for some rock tracks.  Is the HD 600 similar?  

If the "muddier" 650 means less forward, and has more bass, I"m wondering if this is more for me.  However, reading Headphoneaddict's reviews of HD600 and ability of UDAC2 to push this adequately at first pushes me towards HD600 to start.

My starting point is MS1i (harsh for me as all-arounder) and klipsh S4 (very non-fatiguing to me).  liking the S4 has me thinking maybe i'm a basshead!

Jan 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #148 of 441
I'm sort of wondering the same thing, my only experience with Senn's was the pair of HD595's that I sent back because I just really didn't like the sound they offered, but I'm curious if the HD600/HD650 are worth a try in the future.
Quote:
I have the HD 595 now and am finding it too bright and forward for some rock tracks.  Is the HD 600 similar?  

If the "muddier" 650 means less forward, and has more bass, I"m wondering if this is more for me.  However, reading Headphoneaddict's reviews of HD600 and ability of UDAC2 to push this adequately at first pushes me towards HD600 to start.

My starting point is MS1i (harsh for me as all-arounder) and klipsh S4 (very non-fatiguing to me).  liking the S4 has me thinking maybe i'm a basshead!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back