HD 600 vs HD 650
Feb 6, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #106 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerwoodkhorns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK Larry, you sold me on the HD600's and NuForce uDAC. I really like the combo with my laptop and the detail is great, but they break up when the music gets complex.

What amp do I need to get? Everyone seems to like the Woo Audio WA6. I'd rather avoid tubes because of the warmup time, but then again, SS needs some warmup time too. Anyway, how about some suggestions in a few price ranges, say $250 or $300, $400 and $650.

And am I going to have to get a different DAC? Remember, my source is MP3's from my server (of varying bitrates).

Well, there are small steps up from uDAC if you spend less, and bigger steps if you spend more (We'll assume you feed the uDAC RCA into these amps). Still, most of my choices are tube amps.

For $169 an EF2 or Qinpu A-3 will add power and soundstage over the uDAC, but they wont be your final amp.

In the $250-300 range for HD600, for an audible upgrade over the uDAC headphone out I would look for a used Cavalli CTH, head-direct EF1 or Dark Voice 336i with upgraded tubes. Or a Travagans Red with AD743 or OPA627 opamps for an SS amp (Cute Beyond with upgraded opamps might substitute, but I haven't tried one with upgraded opamps). These are all on a similar or very slightly better level than the Apogee mini-DAC built in headphone amp.

In the $400 range I would consider a Grahm Slee Novo, but plan to add the PSU1 upgrade at some point. Next step up is in the $620 - $690 range would be a Woo WA6 or Grahm Slee Solo SRG II. Any of these could be your last amp for a while, and they all represent a nice step up in power, detail, soundstage and refinement. I am evaluating the prototype Nuforce HDP DAC/amp and for $449 it may be a real contender too, but the headphone amp burn-in is only about 1/2 - 2/3 of the way done. With the HDP you'd be able to sell the uDAC to recoup some of the cost.

Feb 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #107 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
T Are the HD600 a significant improvement over the HD650's as far as guitars?

Can't say about the HD650 but I had HD580(upgraded ) & HD595 at the same time for a couple of months & I felt that HD595 outshone the HD580 as far as electric guitars are concerned.

Feb 6, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #109 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't say about the HD650 but I had HD580(upgraded ) & HD595 at the same time for a couple of months & I felt that HD595 outshone the HD580 as far as electric guitars are concerned.

I had the HD595's but never liked the guitar sound, I think I'm just not a Senn guy. There were moments with the HD650 , some music they were just right, unfortunately not enough for me to justify to keep them.

Feb 6, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #110 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in terms of sound quality, the 650 is clearly better, in terms of versatillity, the 600 is better. It can play any genre nicely, the 650 lacks on some

I would concur with this. What sealed it for me was how the HD650 reproduces voices with such emotion. I do sometimes wonder if the HD600 might have been better on some songs though. I find its positioning also somewhat cleaner and more precise.

But I have my HD555s for that which are surprisingly good headphones.

Feb 7, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #111 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. In my view the 555s are the bargain of the century, especially if you're prepared to do the foam mod and turn them into a 595. Who'd have guessed it: a 595, a headphone good enough to satisfy 95% of listeners (at least outside Head-Fi) for as little as $80!

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #112 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would concur with this. What sealed it for me was how the HD650 reproduces voices with such emotion. I do sometimes wonder if the HD600 might have been better on some songs though. I find its positioning also somewhat cleaner and more precise.

I actually prefer the warmess of my HD 485s most, including anything i own! lol, they are the discontinued cheapest senns I own, their sound is VERY ME! I still prefer them over most for casual listening.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #113 of 441
God, same topic back for 4 years.....

600 vs 650 is dealt to death in this site, and only answer is getting both of them.

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #114 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
God, same topic back for 4 years.....

600 vs 650 is dealt to death in this site

why don't you report the thread to mods and let's see what they say?

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #116 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
650 is smooth with a deep, resonant sound. 600 sounds a bit thin and bright by comparison.

x2

I recently heard my 650s with an Enigma Audio cable (at a meet) and found it to be bring out the attributes of the 600 without losing any of the 650's depth. It was FS for a decent price so I ended up buying it and am awaiting delivery.
I've owned both and without any cable upgrade would stick with the 650s.
It seems to be a matter of preference (as with most cans) but IMO the 650s are a better "all round" headphone.
Short of owning both (as someone in this thread suggested) the cable upgrade (if found for a good price) IMO solves the dilemma as to which to choose.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #118 of 441
Quote:

...600 sounds a bit thin and bright by comparison.

I personally don't consider this a good thing. IMO people who learn to listen to the 650s will hear all the detail of the 600s. It's just that all the frequencies sound fuller with the 650s, so in comparison the 600s might seem bright.
I've described the 650 sound before as very much like the 600s with more "muscle" for lack of a better description. I don't like exceptionally bright sounding cans so it could just be my preference. Although some claim to hear no difference with a Cardas cable on the 600s IMO it is quite a pronounced enhancement that tames the brightness (harshness?) of the 600s.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #119 of 441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellenback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Short of owning both (as someone in this thread suggested) the cable upgrade (if found for a good price) IMO solves the dilemma as to which to choose.

It can certainly help. I got the Headphile Blacksilver for my 650. I couldn't really decide if it made any real difference so last night I swapped the original cable back in. I was expecting not to hear a difference so was surprised to find that I definitely preferred the Blacksilver. The original seems bloated and out-of-focus by comparison, and I felt there was some increase in listener fatigue. It's a subtle thing, hard to pick in a/b, but significant long-term. As has already been noted, however, it won't cause you to love headphones you otherwise hate. And it doesn't miraculously cure the Senn veil either; it just helps in that direction.

With regard to that veil, I use a Yamaha stereo receiver and have not been above using the treble control to brighten up the sound. However, I recently discovered that the Yamaha variable loudness control is much more effective. Fixed loudness controls are generally anathema, and theory suggests this shouldn't work anyway as it adds bass, which the Senns don't need. But somehow it does work, and having the control at about 9.30 (12.00 O'Clock being flat--it goes in reverse) has solved the "veil" problem; the sound is slightly leaner and brighter and generally more balanced. This will horrify the purists, but I have to trust my ears, which tell me I'm getting a truer sound, and each CD I play only confirms that. Anyone using a Yamaha amp/receiver (stereo--don't think the AVs have the variable loudness) should definitely give it a try.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #120 of 441
Quote:

650 is smooth with a deep, resonant sound. 600 sounds a bit thin and bright by comparison.

x3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back