HD-600 repair
Feb 1, 2006 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

half

New Head-Fier
I just purchased a dedicated amp for my 600's and they now seem to be quieter in one ear. I must've gotten used to it; I thought I heard something but couldn't bear the thought of having to spend more money, but my suspicions grew when I accidentally put them on backwards and heard the imbalance reversed. I plugged my SR-60's into the amp and they sound perfectly balanced, so now I'm worried. What a shame; this amp sounds so great, yet it brings out all the glaring flaws of my rig. :O Has anyone done similar damage to their phones and/or have any experience with having them repaired? I'd hate to have to replace them completely.. my upgrade-itis is bad enough as is. Ahh well, I can't say I'm surprised. These cans have been through some serious abuse in the past year or so.

Feb 1, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by half
I just purchased a dedicated amp for my 600's and they now seem to be quieter in one ear. I must've gotten used to it; I thought I heard something but couldn't bear the thought of having to spend more money, but my suspicions grew when I accidentally put them on backwards and heard the imbalance reversed. I plugged my SR-60's into the amp and they sound perfectly balanced, so now I'm worried. What a shame; this amp sounds so great, yet it brings out all the glaring flaws of my rig. :O Has anyone done similar damage to their phones and/or have any experience with having them repaired? I'd hate to have to replace them completely.. my upgrade-itis is bad enough as is. Ahh well, I can't say I'm surprised. These cans have been through some serious abuse in the past year or so.

Hrm, have you checked the wires that go into the phones? tried changing the L to R and vice versa to see if the quieter phone changes? Something stuck in the driver?

Feb 1, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 3
After a thorough cleaning, repeated tests switching the channels, flipping the cans around and comparing to my SR-60's, I'm pretty convinced that there is a slight volume difference between drivers. It's not terribly noticeable, but it's there, and that's noticeable enough. I recall hearing it some time ago, but I probably just ignored it, not wanting to accept the fact that I may have damaged my nice cans.
tongue.gif
I plan on having some friends listen to see if they detect the same imbalance. In the worst case, will I need to have the drivers replaced, or can Sennheiser repair them individually? Apparently it costs 35$ for the initial alone, so I wonder if it'll be worth trouble. I'm hoping I don't need to replace them outright; I'd be forced to go for 650's and my college kid bank account would not be happy
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back