HD 600 or AKG K712 with the odac+o2?
May 30, 2014 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DivineCurrent

500+ Head-Fier
So, I got my ODAC+O2 combo the other day, and I was able to test various headphones with it: DT 880, K240, HD 580, and K612. The Senn HD 580s sound best to me with the combo, since the odac+o2 adds a bit more treble detail than other sources I have used. 

I want to stay within the price range of $300-400 and preferably not go any higher than $425. I love the sound signature of both the AKG K240 and Sennheiser HD 580. I'm thinking the HD 600 is perfect for me as it may be a slight improvement over the 580, but I also want to consider the AKG K712. I was able to give the K712 a listen a while ago, unfortunately I was using a crappy computer sound card as my source (before I knew I actually need an AMP to power headphones...) and didn't really give it a chance. Both are now priced pretty much the same at around $375 on amazon, and I want to pull the trigger on one of them. The K712s definitely have more bass which is always welcomed for me, but I don't remember how the mids and treble sounded. To me, the HD 580s mids and treble are right where they should be, maybe they could use a TAD more treble, but with the odac+o2 this is fixed a little. 

Who has listened to both, and which do you prefer with a neutral amp like the O2? I'm just asking for opinions, not asking to make decisions for me.

May 30, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 5
  So, I got my ODAC+O2 combo the other day, and I was able to test various headphones with it: DT 880, K240, HD 580, and K612. The Senn HD 580s sound best to me with the combo, since the odac+o2 adds a bit more treble detail than other sources I have used. 

I want to stay within the price range of $300-400 and preferably not go any higher than $425. I love the sound signature of both the AKG K240 and Sennheiser HD 580. I'm thinking the HD 600 is perfect for me as it may be a slight improvement over the 580, but I also want to consider the AKG K712. I was able to give the K712 a listen a while ago, unfortunately I was using a crappy computer sound card as my source (before I knew I actually need an AMP to power headphones...) and didn't really give it a chance. Both are now priced pretty much the same at around $375 on amazon, and I want to pull the trigger on one of them. The K712s definitely have more bass which is always welcomed for me, but I don't remember how the mids and treble sounded. To me, the HD 580s mids and treble are right where they should be, maybe they could use a TAD more treble, but with the odac+o2 this is fixed a little. 

Who has listened to both, and which do you prefer with a neutral amp like the O2? I'm just asking for opinions, not asking to make decisions for me.

I'm assuming the AKG K612 Pro was not something you would have considered?

May 30, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 5

I'm assuming the AKG K612 Pro was not something you would have considered?

Yeah, I listened to it, did not like it really. Not enough bass and too much upper mids, made everything sound unnatural to me.

May 30, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 5
Also, I forgot to mention that I was interested in the Beyerdynamic T1 for a while, but the cheapest I can find that is $750, kind of out of my budget, but perhaps I can sell some of my other headphones. Would it be worth the extra $300 for a T1?

Aug 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 5
Alright, UPDATE after a few months...
I listened to the Beyerdynamic T1 with multiple sources, but I actually prefer the sound of the DT 880 over it for some reason... the T1 had a bit too hot treble for my tastes, and not really enough low end impact. So, the T1 is a no go for me.
I am a huge fan of the AKG K240 Monitor sound signature. These are different from the popular Studio version, and they are a lot better IMO.
I'm thinking since I like the K240s so much, I should at least try the K712s before I try the HD 600s. Who has owned both the HD 600 and AKG K712, can you guys comment on the differences or similarities (and which amp you use?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back