hd 598
Jun 26, 2012 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nirki98

New Head-Fier
hi, i am new hear.....
i want to ask u guys if you know if i can use the sennheiser hd 598 for hearing music in ipod with an adapter.
the adaptar will damage the sound of the headphones? does it will destroy my ipod plug in? 
i am looking for good over ear headphones for a long time' in price of 250$... after al lot of thinking i decided that the studio beats do not worth their price so i look a lot of time for another headphones and i found those sennheiser.
so.... can someone help me with my decision? if i should buy the hd 598 or look for another headphones? what the adapter will do to the sound of the headphones and the plug in of the ipod? please help me :)

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 11
thank you for taking your time to ask, you made the right choice to not choose beats.

so about the hd598, the adapter can be rather bulky, so excessive sidewards force onto the massive plug might damage the ipod motherboard inside, also if you have a thick protective casing you might have some trouble fitting them in, but the adepter will not affect the sound in anyway 

also what are your music preferences?for example, do you like loud thumping bass, or a very wide soundstage, a very natural sound for vocalist and instruments, or a very analytical sound with high emphesis on details? what genres do you normally listen to as well? 
because the hd598 has a neutral sound with good vocals and a wide soundstage, the bass is not that powerful, and the details are not very prominent either although crisp

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 11
The short answer is that, yes, you can use the HD598 with your iPod.  The challenge is that the 1/4" plug + 1/8" adapter is VERY long and not well suited to portability.  The good news is that Sennheiser have said they are coming out with a 1/8" replacement cable.  Not sure the timing however.

The other thing to consider is volume.  I have not used my 598s (nominal 50 ohm) with an iPod, but when I use them straight from my laptop line out, the max volume is just acceptable - no headroom.  Since I normally listen at my desktop with an amp, this is not a problem, but if you like your music loud, you may want to consider a portable amp.

The 598s are a great all-around headphone and $250 is a good price point for someone looking to upgrade from cheap phones to reasonably priced audiophile.  

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 11
Jun 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 11
thx for the replies :) 
first of all, to street dragon, i love the loud thumping bass, and the music i hear usually is rock (all the kinds), a little metal and jazz and sometimes al little of 60' pop... i need the headphones to be very comfotable and to do not destroy my ipod, if their sound is good and they are not destroying my ipod, ill think ill buy em. thx for helping me!!! if u have a better idea for better headphones that can be good for me with prices of 210$-260$ it will be welcome. thx ((:)

to jisora, i think that in front of your replay i will buy em. how do u know about the quality of the sennheiser hd 598 anyway? 

to mattTCG, ill try to gey this this adapter. thx for helping me. i would like to know whta the mining and how it is damaging the jack?

thx guys for helping :)

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #6 of 11
hmm... well unfortunately you will not get thumping bass with the HD598, for it is quite bass light and gentle, i hered some utrasones have very good bass, but for over the top bass i would suggest the Sony XB-700, XB-500 or the XB-1000 but the soundstage will likely be much less than the HD598

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
to jisora, i think that in front of your replay i will buy em. how do u know about the quality of the sennheiser hd 598 anyway?

I own a pair of 598s and would say that, while they are plastic construction, they are solid build quality and hold up very well under normal use.

Quote:
unfortunately you will not get thumping bass with the HD598, for it is quite bass light and gentle

I would not personally characterize the 598s as "quite bass light".  For me they have plenty of bass - certainly heavier than the AKG K550, which I also own and which are considered a pretty neutral phone.  That said, someone who likes their bass "over the top" might want to look elsewhere.  Of course, the definition of "over the top" is pretty subjective, so listening first is always a good idea.  Failing that, buy from someplace with a no hassle return policy.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I own a pair of 598s and would say that, while they are plastic construction, they are solid build quality and hold up very well under normal use.

I would not personally characterize the 598s as "quite bass light".  For me they have plenty of bass - certainly heavier than the AKG K550, which I also own and which are considered a pretty neutral phone.  That said, someone who likes their bass "over the top" might want to look elsewhere.  Of course, the definition of "over the top" is pretty subjective, so listening first is always a good idea.  Failing that, buy from someplace with a no hassle return policy.

Really? I've heard both at Best Buy with my own source and think the K550 has more low end... 
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2931&graphID[]=3571&graphID[]=2851&graphID[]=3251

I'm currently debating between the HD598 and K550

Jun 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #10 of 11
agreed,
how is the soundstage for both of them too?

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
Hi, i am new hear.....
I want to ask u guys if you know if i can use the Sennheiser HD 598 for hearing music in iPod with an adapter.
the adapter will damage the sound of the headphones? does it will destroy my iPod plug in? 
I am looking for good over ear headphones for a long time' in price of 250$... after all lot of thinking i decided that the studio beats do not worth their price so i look a lot of time for another headphones and i found those Sennheiser.
so.... can someone help me with my decision? if i should buy the HD 598 or look for another headphones? what the adapter will do to the sound of the headphones and the plug in of the iPod? please help me :)

Sennheiser HD 598 headphones come with a (solid) 2" long 3.5mm male to 6.35mm female adapter.
There are 1/8" (3.5mm, mini-jack) male to 1/4"(6.35mm) female adapter cables that are around 5" to 6" long.
They sell them on eBay and Grado makes one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back