HD 598 or AKG q701?
Jan 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #31 of 58
By graphs, the D7000 shouldn't have any sort of sub bass either. Have you even listened to the D7000? It packs a tremendous amount of sub bass, something the graph completely disregards. I'm with Beagle, the HD598 has a distinct lack of bass for me.

In any case, I already said that the HD598 is close to neutral, but it tips slightly towards being bright for me, while the K701 is even brighter and more analytical. But they are NOT worlds apart.

Worlds apart is the HD598 and XB500. Give me a break.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #32 of 58

Quote:
i once thought about getting the hd598 but i keep hearing about the build quality of some of the sennheiser headphones.
hd555, hd595, hd558, hd598 and other senns with similar build tend to crack on the side.

Fixed in August.  They now use a more flexible material apparently, and if you get one from the old batch they'll swap them out for you.

Jan 9, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #33 of 58

Quote:

Fixed in August.  They now use a more flexible material apparently, and if you get one from the old batch they'll swap them out for you.

cool.gif
well this is good news. i need to try some sennheiser sounds.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:
By graphs, the D7000 shouldn't have any sort of sub bass either.

... Oh wow!

Please look at the graph below, taken from the same source you rely your knowledge on... Headphone.com

First look at the elevated bass. That's right, it's elevated (pronounced) from 33Hz. The PEAK is below 40Hz. I'm pretty sure that is sub-bass.

Then look at the dip at 1,1kHz. It's a local minimum. But are you trying to tell us that you can't hear ANYTHING at that frequency range?! It's not even recessed by 10dB - and if it were, they were at half volume but not mute! Now look where the line crosses the bass. Oh wow, if you can hear female vocals with the D7000 then you can also hear 19Hz!

Sorry for that, but you need to watch out what you post. You can have your opinion, but a lot you say makes absolutely no sense.

Jan 12, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #38 of 58
Oh, WOW! Lol. You're funny.

I was referring to how the graphs on the D7000 compare to the HD598...

By the graph, the HD598 should be quite comparable in bass (if not more so in almost all regions). In reality, that is VERY far from the truth. I dare you to find ANYONE who would find the HD598 more bassy than the D7000 ANYWHERE.

But ok there, guy.

Ironically, people call the D7000 harsh in the treble, yet you call the HD598 'smooth'. The graph shows that the HD598 is equally as treble oriented as the D7000 for the most part.

What that shows us, is that graphs can be quite inaccurate, making your previous point quite moot.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #39 of 58
I agree having owned both.  D7000 mega low bass, 598 decent bass.  I liked mostly everything about the D7000 except the mid-range(!).  Acoustic piano sounded artificial.  In contrast, the 598 is fairly neutral, just kind of muffled in that Sennheiser sort of way.

Need a graph that shows artificiallity.

So much for graphs.
smile.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #40 of 58
I wouldn't say the D7000s have mega low bass. It certainly has mid-bass quantity to burn but I didn't find the depth that impressive. IMO the T1s go deeper.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #41 of 58

Quote:
I wouldn't say the D7000s have mega low bass. It certainly has mid-bass quantity to burn but I didn't find the depth that impressive. IMO the T1s go deeper.

Don't know the T-1's but it's quite a price difference isn't it?

I thought the D7000 was competitive in the sub-bass with the LCD-2, owned both.

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #42 of 58
By low bass, I hope they mean low as in subterranean bass, because as many headphones as I've owned (esspecially basshead cans), the D7000 has one of the biggest bottom ends that I've heard. Mid bass isn't as pronounced, which is a blessing. I'm a sub bass man, and the D7000 has that in spades.

Speaking of, I just placed an order for the D7000 again. :D

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #43 of 58

Quote:
Oh, WOW! Lol. You're funny.

I was referring to how the graphs on the D7000 compare to the HD598...
By the graph, the HD598 should be quite comparable in bass (if not more so in almost all regions). In reality, that is VERY far from the truth. I dare you to find ANYONE who would find the HD598 more bassy than the D7000 ANYWHERE.
But ok there, guy.
Ironically, people call the D7000 harsh in the treble, yet you call the HD598 'smooth'. The graph shows that the HD598 is equally as treble oriented as the D7000 for the most part.
What that shows us, is that graphs can be quite inaccurate, making your previous point quite moot.

Actually, what the graph shows us is that the D7000 will have much more perceived subbass than the HD598. Notice how the D7000 has recessed mids when compared to the HD598? This means that the subbass of the D7000 will be much more noticeable.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #44 of 58

Quote:
i once thought about getting the hd598 but i keep hearing about the build quality of some of the sennheiser headphones.
hd555, hd595, hd558, hd598 and other senns with similar build tend to crack on the side.

Yep. My 515s are doing this. I will say it isn't something that can't be fixed with a little epoxy once a hairline starts to show. It's not really structural anyway.  

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #45 of 58
Come on guys, the op is looking for some advice and this argument is not helping him or her.

To the op, if you can possibly hear the headphones (or even change your choices to ones you can hear) that is by far the best approach. It is extremely difficult to work out from the descriptions of others if you will like any given headphone. By analogy, say your interested in buying a new brand of coffee and some people say it is delicious and others say it is a bit too bitter, the only way to know if you will like it is to try it. Of course, you might approximate a little from others descriptions (perhaps you like bitterness in general) but you still will not overcome the fact that people have radically different ideas of what bitter is and when it becomes too much. Descriptions in audio are much the same and hence they are extremely fallible (as evidenced by peoples constant bickering over what graphs mean in relation to what they hear).

I will say this however, I own k702 and am very pleased with them. I think they can really fit in to a decent rig and be very pleasing. BUT, even amongst those who like them, they are generally held to require a fairly good set up (source but especially amp wise) and if you are not already packing such gear or do not intend to acquire it in the near future, then perhaps consider giving these a miss.

Sorry that this.reply does not give you any kind of definitive answer but I am afraid that this is just the nature of audio. Recommendations may help to a point, but I really would strive to audition the gear, even if it means entertaining other options.

I hope this helps a bit and best of luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back