HD 595s $115 on Amazon right now.
Dec 30, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #16 of 34
Why would anyone order the 595 for $115 when you could save $21 and get the 555? Its the same headphone! This has been documented over and over on this site. Same driver, same cable, same housing, same pads. Different headband, but not better and a cheesy desk headphone clamp.

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #17 of 34
True, but not everyone wants to disassemble their new headphones and start pulling parts out. Also there's the prestige factor of owning the dearer model. Plus you get the headphone holder--which isn't all that cheesy (I like it).

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #18 of 34
No parts to pull out, just a piece of foam. I understand some people are not DIY types, but taking out a couple of screws is something anyone can do. There is no prestige in overpaying. And some people actually like the sound of the 555 over the 595, so buying the 555 gets you both.

Quote:
True, but not everyone wants to disassemble their new headphones and start pulling parts out. Also there's the prestige factor of owning the dearer model. Plus you get the headphone holder--which isn't all that cheesy (I like it).

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #19 of 34
     Quote:
No parts to pull out, just a piece of foam. I understand some people are not DIY types, but taking out a couple of screws is something anyone can do. There is no prestige in overpaying. And some people actually like the sound of the 555 over the 595, so buying the 555 gets you both. 

So if they're the same headphone, why do they sound different?

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #20 of 34
They dont if you remove the foam from the 555. You can order all the parts from Sennheiser and they all say 555/595.

Quote:
     Quote:

So if they're the same headphone, why do they sound different?

Dec 30, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #21 of 34
Thanks OP.  I picked up a pair.  I've been lurking on HeadFi for quite a while now in search for suggestions on a set of new phones.  I purchased some ATH-M50's yesterday, and couldn't resist on the nice price on the 595's.  I should be receiving both by next week.  I've been really happy using a cheap pair of Sennheiser HD203, but I severed the cord.  I hope I'll be happy with my two new sets.  Thanks to HeadFi and all of it's users.

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #24 of 34

Quote:
Price increase to $117. Amazon knows whats up.

Nope. Look at the right side-shipped from J&R for 114.99. $117 is Amazon's price, thus they're advertising it above the lowest price provider.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #25 of 34
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get my first set of good headphones and I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Audio Technica M50, but I came across this thread and am giving some consideration to the HD595. I know the HD595 are open and the M50 are closed, but which has better sound quality? I will mainly use them for listening at home or while studying. Sound leakage isn't a problem as long as it doesn't sound like I'm playing through speakers. But I would like a pair that blocks as much external noise as possible. But of course if the HD595 are better then I can stick with my cheap noise isolating ear buds and headphones for other times. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #26 of 34

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm looking to get my first set of good headphones and I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Audio Technica M50, but I came across this thread and am giving some consideration to the HD595. I know the HD595 are open and the M50 are closed, but which has better sound quality? I will mainly use them for listening at home or while studying. Sound leakage isn't a problem as long as it doesn't sound like I'm playing through speakers. But I would like a pair that blocks as much external noise as possible. But of course if the HD595 are better then I can stick with my cheap noise isolating ear buds and headphones for other times. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Do you listen to bass-heavy music? The M50's will do much better with bass than the HD595's will, if that's an issue.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #27 of 34

Quote:
Quote:

Do you listen to bass-heavy music? The M50's will do much better with bass than the HD595's will, if that's an issue.

I listen to almost everything except country. Mostly hip-hop, rap, and pop though.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I listen to almost everything except country. Mostly hip-hop, rap, and pop though.

Get the m50's or even a set of es7's

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #29 of 34

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Get the m50's or even a set of es7's then.  Much better bass capability 

Dec 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #30 of 34

Quote:
Price increase to $117. Amazon knows whats up.

.....and now a price increase back up to $150. I had checked Amazon after I got home from work this morning at around 5am as I've been considering getting them, especially since the price driopped, but was tired, and just went to bed, planning to order them when I got up. Surprise surprise, when I got up and checked Amazon for the HD595 at 2pm, they had gone back up to $150. Oh well, I think I'll probably pass on them for that price, although the HD555's dropped by a dollar down to $92, so I may go ahead and get those and do the mods instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back