Having comfort issues with 555's, would like some advice.
Oct 12, 2010 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

matmal

Head-Fier
i have been searching the forum, but wanted to make a post.

I currently have Senns hd555s and also hd202s, i have been using the 202s because of 2 reasons.

1) the 555s make the right side of my neck hurt after a day of use, like a headache/nerve pain that is very bad. (i am thinking it is the tightness but maybe the weight too)

2) I am in a small house with 3 other people, and the computer room is always occupied, so closed headphones are better for me.

I could try to stretch the 555s out with books or whatever, but i have had them for 2 years i don't think this will work.  And even then, if they didn't hurt me, I'm still using open headphones and being bugged by outside noises.

the hd202s don't cause neck pain, but kill the part of my ears touching the inside of the cans.

So my question is this, I love and enjoy bass, this is probably why I think the 202s sound just fine because the bass kicks ass.  I feel it is a waste to have the 555's sitting on my desk collecting dust.  I would like to just sell the 555s, and get a good pair of closed cans, like maybe the a700's?  But how much could i get for the 555s, maybe it isn't worth it to sell them?

I just want a pair of headphones that are as good or better than the 555s, closed, and don't hurt me after hours of use every day.  Any advice is appreciated.

(my source is my computer with an audigy 2 platinum sound card)

EDIT- also, i am a little scared to stretch out the 555s because they are a 1 cable headphone, so the band is not just plastic but carries a wire or whatever right?

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 17
well, it depends on what i can get for my 555s i guess, i am very disappointed cause i really haven't used my 555s much at all.. what a waste.

I guess my point is i am worried the next set will just have some other issues and ill end up letting them sit around too, but id spend over $100 to get a good pair of closed cans, with bass, that i could wear hours on end.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 17
I found the HD555 very comfy for extended use. You might want to consider even lighter weight headphones and making comfort a priority over sound. And so FWIR I suggest considering the Denon D1001.

Quote:
well, it depends on what i can get for my 555s i guess, i am very disappointed cause i really haven't used my 555s much at all.. what a waste.

I guess my point is i am worried the next set will just have some other issues and ill end up letting them sit around too, but id spend over $100 to get a good pair of closed cans, with bass, that i could wear hours on end.

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #5 of 17
ya, if someone asked me if the 555s would be comfortable i would say yes, because i think my issue is rare.

but i have tested it 4-5 times, every time i wear them after not using them for a month or so, my neck starts to hurt.

Its a smart suggestion to sell them, ill never use them as my main cans so its pointless.  I think ill just deal with the 202's for now and look around, maybe try some in a store idk.  thanks for the replies ill look into those Denons.

Edit- Besides being lighter, how do the Denon D1001's compare to the A700's? i have read the a700s are not tight at all, which is a better headphone?

Oct 13, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 17
hmm, mine are extended quite a bit, do you find the pads hit the bottom of your ears though?

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 17
Make sure you have them resting on your head, and not slightly above. I usually position the muff to right under my ear, and let my earlobe rest inside the mesh.

Also, I would suggest doing the foam mod to make the sound more accurate, and turning down the volume a notch might help too.

Oct 13, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 17
i have good hearing, and am bothered by loud sounds, so i listen quietly already.  I haven't heard of this foam mod ill search it.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 17
That looks very intriguing and i may try it, i have been wearing my 555s for a day and a half, my neck is so-so.

but they are still tight, i have babied them, i could easily stretch them out a shade i think without hurting them, my issue is this.

Like i said i have been using the hd202s, people have said they are overwhelming bass cans, and are very muffled, ect.

What I am not understanding, is that my 202s seem MORE clean than my 555s do... I am using no EQ and my source is my Sound Blaster Audigy 2 platinum, ever since i have had this sound card all my cheapo headphones sounded better on it. I think in other sources like mp3 players my 202 would sound way more muffled.

Yes, my 555s are fuller, but other than that i just cant hear a 140 dollar difference AT ALL.  my 555s seem muddy and way less detailed, i listen to acoustic stuff and adult alternative and i think the 202s have better highs as well...  also in games my 555s are less detailed, people running right by me sound SO FAR away compared to my 202s.

I love nice things, and want a really good pair of cans, maybe my ears suck, or my 555s aren't broken in after 1.5 years, but I'm thinking of selling them just cause i cant really enjoy them... any thoughts on why i am hearing what I'm  hearing? shouldn't my 202s be blown away by these 5 times more expensive 555s?

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 17
HD555 is known for being very laid back. They focus more on presenting the mids then the other two ends, this is why they are often seen as 'unimpressive' by most people. It really depends on your music preference, I usually listen to classical/orchestral music, so I like the dark sound. A lot of other headphones now sound too bright to me.

There's also no rule that says the more you spend = the more you'll like the headphones. If that's the case, bose and monster cans should be amazing. It's really depended on how much you like the sound signature of a pair of headphones, price has nothing to do with it.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 17
Those are excellent points thank you. 

I would really love to hear a $800 dollar pair of headphones with a great amp to see what the purpose is, i enjoy music and sounds and love nice speaker systems, i just haven't ever heard anything better than the 555s (or 202s, whatever you want to say) I would like to try out a whole bunch and find a pair i really love...

What makes headphones cost so much more than others? say in the sennheiser line, like hd800s compared to 555s?

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 17
I have them listed in the for sale forum, send me a PM and make me an offer, they are like new and come in original box with the adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back