Havi B6 !
Dec 22, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #496 of 1,184
They better up the qc because I got channel imbalance on my second pair of Pro 1s. This is getting ridiculous, at this rate I will be spending more time shipping to exchange than listening :frowning2: 

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #497 of 1,184
  They better up the qc because I got channel imbalance on my second pair of Pro 1s. This is getting ridiculous, at this rate I will be spending more time shipping to exchange than listening :frowning2: 

Aww, I fell sorry for you. Did you also have channel imbalance on your first pair? And where did you order from?

Fingers crossed you will get a nice replacement!

(I also hope that the pair I ordered will not have this issue....)

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #499 of 1,184
  Aww, I fell sorry for you. Did you also have channel imbalance on your first pair? And where did you order from?

Fingers crossed you will get a nice replacement!

(I also hope that the pair I ordered will not have this issue....)

It's more a Havi thing rather than the retailer, it develops after some time. I honest didn't notice it before jut gradually developed. Yeah I developed it on my first pair

You're not going to get that with the B3. That imbalance and crosstalk is what gives it it's soundstage. 

What's cross talk? There was no imbalance when I first got it, it developed recently. Is the sound stage related to the imbalance?

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #500 of 1,184
I should also add that I love my Pro 1s and definitely my favorite IEM and honestly I haven't heard anything else the matches the sound signature that I get from them. I am willing to put up with whatever issues because they are WORTH it. I might pick up a backup pair if I decide to RMA this one. Maybe the imbalance might go away with more burn in. It is possible so I will try to burn them in. I don't make it a habit to burn in headphones but I will try it now. 

I recently had an opportunity to try some other very expensive IEMs and I think the Havis have really spoiled me that I cannot enjoy IEMs that I had lusted after before. Once you go Havi you can't go back. I am getting B6 day one fo sho. Also thinking of investing in a good amp just for my havis. Since they scale so well, they only get better with time :)

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #501 of 1,184
Maybe the imbalance might go away with more burn in. It is possible so I will try to burn them in. I don't make it a habit to burn in headphones but I will try it now. 

The imbalance could be due to moisture. You should try to keep them in a dry environment when you are not using them. You could use a airtight box and add silica gel beads to it. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #504 of 1,184
......or just put them in a box with enough uncooked rice to cover them for some time.

Dec 22, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #505 of 1,184
......or just put them in a box with enough uncooked rice to cover them for some time.

Good idea 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #506 of 1,184

It's more a Havi thing rather than the retailer, it develops after some time. I honest didn't notice it before jut gradually developed. Yeah I developed it on my first pair

What's cross talk? There was no imbalance when I first got it, it developed recently. Is the sound stage related to the imbalance?

Cross talk is signal passing from one channel to another. In headphones it can make the soundstage seem more 3d and realistic, since headphones don't have a true soundstage like speakers. In speakers you hear both channels in each ear and get a pseudo binaural experience. In headphones, the channels should be balanced and separate, giving you soundstage as space, but not as true soundstage like speakers (unless you're listening to binaural recordings). The imbalances and crosstalk in the B3 are part of what gives it its uniqueness and appealing sound, but it won't measure well or be technically accurate. 

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #507 of 1,184
Channel imbalance will just push the soundstage over to one side, or, when it varies with frequency, cause instruments to wander around as they play different pitches. The Havi's 4-wire cord is designed to reduce crosstalk by keeping the signal returns separate. Cross-fading does make the soundstage appear wider, but to do that you need to mix in some of the other channel out of phase, which is the opposite of crosstalk.

My best guess is that the Havi's excellent soundstage may be related to some sort of Haas effect produced by the serial-wired drivers at different distances from the ear canal, though any timing discrepancies will be very very small.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #509 of 1,184
Welp. So much for my wallet.

Seriously though, totally loving the sound! And it isn't even burned in yet. 

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #510 of 1,184
  Channel imbalance will just push the soundstage over to one side, or, when it varies with frequency, cause instruments to wander around as they play different pitches. The Havi's 4-wire cord is designed to reduce crosstalk by keeping the signal returns separate. Cross-fading does make the soundstage appear wider, but to do that you need to mix in some of the other channel out of phase, which is the opposite of crosstalk.

My best guess is that the Havi's excellent soundstage may be related to some sort of Haas effect produced by the serial-wired drivers at different distances from the ear canal, though any timing discrepancies will be very very small.

This is my guess along similar lines too. Havi B3 Pro 1 simply DO NOT measure well - my pair has measurements going in all directions ( there are large discrepancies in the frequency response between the channels, similar to published measurements ) - yet  it can sound subjectively very good. 

Now - if it was deliberate, if it is sample to sample consistent, therefore repeatable, within some prescribed performance envelope - is another matter. Hope it is not entirely at random. An in ear monitor should by default be not capable of the soundstage Havi are famous for; it by default excludes any pinna information that we use to help localize sound with. A binaural recording should not come nearly as good across with an IEM as does with Havi - it is the territory for large open air headphones, bettered by Jecklin Float, bettered again by AKG K 1000. 

It seems there is no other way than to "cheat" with IEMs for the soundstage - with irregular response different in each channel; Stax SRM001MK2, for example, produces FAR less of soundstage, yet it can play mono with aplomb - something Havi is poor at. Similar can be said by well equalized Xiaomi Pistons 2 . It is either/or - but AKG K 1000, the most open "earspeaker" of them all, can do both exemplary. I know this comparison is totally out of line in financial terms - but despite all the love shown for Havi so far, it is not the most precise and reliable instrument available. This was a tough pill to swallow ...

I did not open them up yet to see if they really use different positioning of the drivers for each channel - but I highly doubt it, considering the symmetrical outward appearance of the driver housings. My guess is that they use different frequency response for each driver- and that is hopefully modelled according  to some studies of HRTF etc - and not entirely at random, which would "fabricate" some random soundstage unrelated to whatever was in the original signal; and that would be fake of the first degree. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back