Havi B3 Pro1 : A Review by Baycode
Aug 24, 2014 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Baycode

Headphoneus Supremus
Havi B3 Pro1 (Price: 65 USD):   A Review by Baycode
CATEGORY: IEM

Intro to Baycode's Reviews with Graphs:
I always prefer to see "detailed but simple and easy to evaluate reviews" on head-fi. So I ended up using the graphs. Each factor you see in the graph is provided after extensive listening and A-B'ing with other iems. The higher the value, the better that factor gets. Anything less than 5 is below average, 5 is average, 10 is max. These numberings are not based on any other reviews. For better understanding the terminology and graph please see the notes section on the bottom of this page. To see the summary of the graph just look on the red and orange bars (red bar is average value of all while orange is the average value of only the sound quality). For the other factors you can find short notes under separate headlines. I want my reviews to be as fast an effectively understandable as possible which reflects only the TRUTH ( I am against "hype"). Some of the review products are free review samples sent to me while some of the others are purchased by me. Always feel free to ask any questions.

I compare and put the values for each category which is specifically evaluated (calculated) values for that "CATEGORY". So please do not attempt to compare an IEM CATEGORY with full sized HP's.

Each ranking on frequency ranges are "equated values" of the each fq response and its technicalities (quality + quantity). All these values should be taken as IMO. My probes are my ears and brain. So, YMMW.

Thanks for your visit and valuable contributions! 
regular_smile%20.gif

Please note: I have started the Havi B3 Pro1 impressions thread in 03/2014 so this review will be very short as I have covered many things in that thread.

Havi B3 Pro1 (aka: the GEM!)

Havi B3 Pro1 Graph:

Click to see it larger:

Summary:

Havi B3 Pro1 is a dual dynamic micro driver iem (each dynamic drivers are 6mm in diamater).

If you're looking for clarity, very wide sound-stage, excellent imaging, separation; natural and neutral (linear) sound in an iem that has above average isolation and very minor microphonics, B3 Pro1 is the iem that can make you smile
bigsmile_face.gif

B3 Pro1 reproduces the sound what's on the recording, it doesn't add anything to the sound from itself. So I can call it as a real Hi-Fi Audiophile iem. The bass has well layering, clarity and definition to it but doesn't have the bass-body of the bassy iems. In comparison, IE80 have the bass body but doesn't have the definition in other freq ranges that B3 Pro1 has. Also midbass never leaks in to the mids on B3 Pro1. If you need (and like) bass quality over the bass quantity this is it! That's because of this; bass graph bars are higher than normally it could get. Highs have very well definition and clarity but never gets sibilant. In comparison reference Tenore have smoother highs. B3 Pro1 highs never do get smooth like Tenore and never gets sibilant and/or fatiguing. So its on a territory where most of the iems fails to reach. You can listen for hours and hours... Despite being a large soundstaging iem, mids and vocals are produced excellent. I can say that vocals are even slightly up-front. Mids have great clarity and vocals sound natural. In comparison KC06 vocals are slightly metallic or unnatural.

KC06' soundstage width is sligtly wider, but B3 Pro1 is not far behind. The thing B3 Pro1 excels is the soundstage width, ss height and ss depth are near equal (although ss depth is tiny bit behind compared to its ss width and ss depth). KC06 lacks that ss depth and also on KC06 ss width, ss height and ss depth is not balanced (equal to each other). Therefore KC06 couldn't portray the real stage with real 3D whereas B3 Pro1 portrays the 3D image excellently!

Speaking only for imaging (positioning of instruments in a given soundstage) I have never heard an iem excels like B3 Pro1 before. B3 Pro1 is a unique iem for imaging. B3 Pro1's imaging is so perfect that it also competes some of the finest full sized headphones in their class like K550/551 and Fidelio X2.

Another important feature of the B3 Pro1 is the black background. You can't notice hissing with this iem.

The most important things to appreciate its sound is to find the best sounding eartips and source first. Then audio recording quality comes in to play. B3 Pro1 is one of the MOST ear-tip dependent to sound good iem I ever came across!

Genres Good for Listening with:
Classical, Jazz, New Age, Instrumental, Vocal, Chillout, Ambient, Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy-Metal, etc. Broad ranges of genres are suitable with this iem. Live, unplugged and binarual recordings sounds amazing!

Suitable to Use for:
General listening; suitable for noisy environments like bus, train, airplane; can be used while walking or daily works; not very advisable for sports, not suitable for water sports. Good partner while in bed
wink.gif

Also may be suitable for Audio Professionals. Reported to be suitable for audio mixing and monitoring purposes (from some head-fiers) due to its neutral character, accurate sound reproduction capability, excellent sound-stage, separation and imaging as well as other sound quality aspects and isolation!

Iem native wearing position:
It's intended to be weared as cable up position. Can be worn cable down as well (but I can't advise).

Fit and Comfort:
As said above, native fitting position is over the ears (cable up) position. It can be worn cable-down position but I prefer over the ears because of the less microphonics and more secure fitting.

There is a chin slider on the Y cord and I always use it. It makes the fitting more secure. If the wire falls out from the top of your ears I will advise you to use chin slider and secure the wire by pulling the chin slider up after fitting the iem. As the wire softens over time fitting becomes more secure (wire tends to fall out less, although I never had this problem but there are some reports).

B3 Pro1 is very comfortable once you are able to find good isolating and fitting eartips. Doesn't cause any problems when listened for a long time in cable-up position with sennheiser double flange tips (at least for me). But, for the first time (or first trials) it is really difficult to find the best fitting/comfortable and best sounding eartips. Also insertion of the iem can be bothersome... Once you get used to it, it fits securely and comfortably.

The 4 parallel structure of the ceable under the Y splitter makes it a little bit heavy and slightly bulky. Thanks to over the ear design, iem doesn't fall out easily because of the cable weight.

Cable is slightly on the rigid side "out of the box" but it becomes softer and very pleasant to touch over time.

Looks on a medium sized ear. Housing is slightly larger compared to GR07 and ie80.

Isolation:
Above average isolation. It will not completely block the sound but isolation is fairly good (better than GR07). There is a little vent hole on the inner side (under the Gorilla glass) of the iem. This vent hole reaches the surface through a tiny groove under the glass.

Source-IEM Matches/Mismatches:
B3 Pro1 is rated at 32 ohm and sensitivty at 95dB. Not only because of this but also serial wiring of the drivers makes B3 Pro1 a unique iem to drive properly. It becomes a mediocre and weak sounding iem if connected to a weak source like "some of the cell phones" or "weak DAP's" like Sansa Fuze. B3 Pro1 needs good power and quality sources to shine. It's a special iem that has the ability to upscale with better and powerful sources (DAPs, AMPs, etc). Anyway put a good quality amp in your wishlist if you think that your source is weak. B3 Pro1 matches very well with tube amps. I advise any B3 Pro1 user to experiment with different eartips and insertion strategies. Even if you're not satisfied enough from the source you power them I advise you to keep them for future because after upgrading your DAP and/or AMP you'll notice that your B3 sounds just better, and better... This makes B3 Pro1 a keeper iem for a long time (IMO).

Brain and Driver Burn-in Period:
It needs at least 15 hours of burn-in for the biggest settlement. Especially bass earns more body and definition at this period and iem opens up (becomes slightly more clear sounding). Will completely settle after 200+ hours (reported by me and some other users). Some grittiness on high freq ranges "may appear" between 10-100 hours and this grittiness will completely disappear after 200+ hours.

Quality and Durability:
Its a very very good quality iem! Thick and hardened plastic housing, cables, L shaped jack and strain reliefs all seems excellent quality and durable. Gorilla glass on the faceplate are nice to touch and seems excellent to my eyes. Cable relief strains are nice and seems to protect the cables on the joint points. Included accessories are also good quality.

The red dot sticker and Pro1 letter shows you that you have received the right version.
Pro2 is not a special sounding item so I don't advise you to order it unless you need slightly more
midbass and bass with narrower but taller soundstage with laid back presentation.
Clarity is also not as good as it's on the Pro1 version and Pro2 lacks sub-subbass region.

Hard and soft carrying cases, eartips, microfiber cloth, very good accessories.
My only wish is there could be more eartip selections as this iem's sound changes greatly with eartip selection.
Clam shaped Carry Case is very good quality.

The sticker on the sides shows you that you're the first person to open the case.
Havi should rework for the "total case" design (IMO) as all these things comes inside a plain cardboard box.

Specs under the crystal clear case.

Inside the case -underside-.

Sexy looking iem's.

Whom should avoid Havi B3 Pro1:
Bass-heads, fun seekers, who likes very colored iem's, who likes a laid back presentation, who doesn't have a good/powerful source (DAP, Phone, etc) should avoid B3 Pro1.
It's bass can have more body with bass boost and the iem responds to eq'ing very well but I don't prefer to use it that way. Bass is a quality bass but doesn't have the body of a bass iem. But if you prefer a refined, well layered, linear and not a hard hitting bass you will like its default bass sound (without eq) very well. After eq'ing or bass boosting through an amp, bass level reaches to a degree that -I am sure- even some bass heads can enjoy.

Value for Money:
Since the 60 USD iems are crowded with very good competitors these days its a good fight with other iem's like KC06 and Tenore. But, B3 Pro1 exceeds them in sound quality!

It exceeds Tenore for sound and build quality.

It exceeds KC06 in sound quality and isolation.

Build quality, 12 months guarantee, accessories, excellent sound quality, excellent cable (in terms of technicalities not looks), all these makes the B3 Pro1 the top "value for money" iem in my book!

Love Factor:
This term is new in head-fi (I prefer to use it). "Love factor" is very "personal taste" dependent and one should take care of this factor as a grain of salt (but if you ask me it's one of the most important factor). This factor summarizes my liking of sound quality, fit-comfort, durability,  isolation, microphonics, aesthetics, etc. So joining of all these factors makes me want to listen to a given iem/hp for a long time or not.

From the first listen about 5 months ago, and until today, nothing could exceed it for me. I love it!!!
bigsmile_face.gif
   (check the graph for numbering :wink:

Sum-up:
An excellent sounding iem which is also capable to be used as a professional tool. It needs good, powerful sources to shine. It needs to be fitted with large bore opening, shallow bore depth silicone eartips like Sennheiser Double Flanges. But you have to experiment with all your eartip collection to find the best one for you. Also a weak fitting or shallow insertion may result in the loss of bass and degradation in other sound quality aspects.

If good and large soundstage is one of your priorities, if you like neutral and accurate iems, if you are seeking for clarity, if you are a binaural recording lover, do not think twice, just grab the B3 Pro1. Soundstage will float you in the space (don't forget to attach a large bore size shallow bore depth and good isolating/fitting eartip).

This iem is the "best iem" I have ever heard!

Availability: Penonaudio (Authorised Havi seller)

Guarantee: Yes, provided by Havi, 12 months (If you buy the item from a Havi authorized dealer like Penonaudio.com). I always appreciate the guarantee on the audio equipments. So big applause for Havi here!

Specs:
  1. Drivers: Dual Micro-Dynamic (each driver 6mm diameters)
  2. Rated Impedance:  32 Ω
  3. Frequency Range: 10Hz ˜ 20kHz
  4. Sensitivity: 95 dB @ 1 mW  (This information is not written this way on the packages, I have informed that the information on the packages will be corrected)
  5. THD: < 0.1% (1khz/100db SPL)
  6. Cable: 1.3m, Y-Cord, OFC Copper, 4 parallel cables up to Y splitter, 30 braided OFC wires in each, cable is balanced down to 3.5mm jack, then loses the balanced character because of the 3.5mm stereo jack. Kevlar reinforced outer jacket
  7. Plug: 3.5mm Gold Plated, L shaped
  8. Fitting: Over Ear Style

Contents & Accessories:
  1. Foam Tips (Comply Like Foam)  M (1 pair)
  2. Red Core Silicone Tips S,M,L (1 pair for each)
  3. Sennheiser Double Flange Black Silicone Tips S,M,L (1 pair for each)
  4. White Silicone Havi Tips S,M,L (1 pair for each)
  5. Zippered Round Hard Case x1
  6. Soft Carrying Pouch x1
  7. Havi Microfiber Cleaning Cloth x1

Detachable Cables: No

Microphone: No

Acknowledgements:
I have to thank to my wallet. Bought from Penonaudio (aka: bigbargainonline store in e-bay), 65 USD including international shipping.

But I have to acknowledge Penonaudio for their excellent service, communication, reliability, guarantee and fast shipment.

And last but not least I have to acknowledge and thank @bhazard and @peter123 to help me find this GEM 6-7 months earlier.

Notes:
1- Most of the terminology used in this review is depending on this excellent write-up by multiple headfiers:http://http//www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary] [/URL] http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary
2- Specifications and/or color of the equipments covered by this review may change in the future by the producer. And these changes may not be reflected inside the review in the future (although I prefer to update).
3- The bar-graph review technique is a new one and its my way to show readers to understand an equipment at first look. It’s easier to understand IMO rather than reading dozens of pages. But I also advise any reader to look for the other reviewers pages and other contributors ideas. There is no single way to reach the truth.
4- The values in the graphs may change “slightly” over time. This is because my equipment collection is growing and comparative evaluations will always be in the process (even after review). So please feel free to come back and check the graph in the future (for example 2 months later). But usually these values are created after extensive burn-in and listening/comparing periods. So will mostly be stable.

LINKS  LINKS  LINKS

B3 Pro1 Impressions Thread started by me:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread

B3 Pro1 REVIEW by @bhazard :
http://www.head-fi.org/products/havi-b3-pro-1/reviews/11482

B3 Pro1 REVIEW by @Audiophile1811 :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/1785#post_10817878

For fit/comfort/look of B3 on the ear, please follow this link:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/180#post_10475371

For ear-tip suggestions please follow this link (best ear-tips for B3):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/105#post_10459342
Updates to the eartip selection part:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/915#post_10698086

Taking Care of Havi B3 (keeping, maintenance and opening (for repair) instructions):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/240#post_10503275

Fully Disassembling the B3 Pro1:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/1020#post_10735994

Are you having sound imbalance problem with B3? Do you think that it's not sounding as clear as once it was ? Well visit these links:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/240#post_10503275

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/495#post_10593656

Why You Should Choose B3 Pro1 over the Tenore:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-impressions-thread/1035#post_10736622

ENJOY HAVI'NG B3 PRO1'S,

ENJOY HAVI'NG MUSİC,

ENJOY HAVI'NG LIFE,

ENJOY SPREADING THE HAVI LOVE !!!

Subscribe: Baycode's Upcoming and Completed Reviews Newsfeed Page

http://www.head-fi.org/t/728731/baycodes-upcoming-and-completed-reviews-newsfeed-page

Aug 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 39
Great work @Baycode, nice pictures as always and I love your graph style.

Only thing I can never forgive is the 9,9 on love factor, seems a bit low for me :wink:

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #3 of 39
Great work @Baycode, nice pictures as always and I love your graph style.

Only thing I can never forgive is the 9,9 on love factor, seems a bit low for me
wink.gif

Haha, thanks Peter!
beerchug.gif

There is a Turkish saying: "Every beauty has an imperfection" or "There is no beauty without imperfection!".  So I cut the 0.1 points to make it more "BEAUTIFUL!" 
wink_face.gif

Aug 24, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 39
Haha, thanks Peter! :beerchug:  

There is a Turkish saying: "Every beauty has an imperfection" or "There is no beauty without imperfection!".  So I cut the 0.1 points to make it more "BEAUTIFUL!"  :wink_face:  

Lol! Ok, that I can accept :)

Aug 24, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #7 of 39
Great review.. Absolutely stunning sounding iem! :etysmile:  

Thanks Arvan :) Certainly a great iem and fairly hidden, should be exposed to the audience more...

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 39
Nice review (again) Baycode!

Damn I want my B3's!

Aug 25, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #11 of 39
I'm really impressed with this review!
Great work!

Thanks @joaoalbertofn 
beerchug.gif

Great job! The scoring you chose for the graph is excellent and reflect my opinions of the B3 closely.  

Thanks @Audiophile1811 , most of us really do understand and hear the same (I believe) no matter race or culture.

Nice review (again) Baycode!

Damn I want my B3's!

Thanks for your support @waynes world !  We are also waiting for "some more" headfiers to receive their B3's. Hope you like them
wink_face.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #12 of 39
i was going to buy these headphones after reading all the reviews. but in the lendmenurears FB page they said that VSD5S will be released nxt month and it will cost around $60. So waiting for these..

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #14 of 39
you have mentioned that it's not that good with Sansa fuze, how about playing it with fiio e11?

E11 is not a good amp in my book. I sold it after some testing with B3. I also connect it between the Sansa Fuze and B3. E11 is not clear as an Topping NX1 amp. Also less spacious. I really don't like its sound. I prefer and advise NX1 instead. Also E11K is reported to be very good.

I'll be getting my Brainwavz AP001 amp in 2 weeks and inform the thread about the sound. But @H20Fidelity already reported that it sounds very good with B3. Just check the last posts at the B3 Pro1 impressions thread.

Sansa Fuze can sound better (on an acceptably good level) if its paired with a good amp. But I prefer the sound from an iPod Touch 4th -gen connected with NX1 over it.

Cheers.

Nov 14, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 39
New package and accessories of B3 Pro1 have leaked........................
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back