Havi b3 pro 1 thread 2.0
Nov 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #61 of 2,486
zapx629 do u agree with my comparison on page 1 or 2?

I am having the same problem.

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #62 of 2,486
I'd agree with a lot of it, other than that I much prefer the treble of the VSonic to the Havi. My B3s have a rather harsh upper treble (10-13k region) and my GR07 has more of a peak at the 5-6k range. The GR07 has a more natural sounding treble where the Havi sounds more thin and artificial. I think you may be getting a more peaky GR07 by amping it. Everything I've read says it has almost no benefit from an amp, let alone EQ. Overall I feel the GR07 is warmer and fuller (still lean though) and the Havi is more clinical and thin. That's not to say one is better than the other, just that that's how I hear them when A/Bing.

As of now, I'm more leaning GR07, but again, it's a tough choice. The GR07 gives me better layering, cleaner fast passages, and more natural textures and timbres. The havi is clear as a bell and what would call analytical sound. Live Jazz and Classical sound excellent on it and the stage is huge. For classic rock and such, I'd take the GR07. It's a really tough call and they're in the same league. It's like trying to say a certain breed of dog or model of car is better. They're both equally capable, but different people want different things. If you care about soundstage and clinical clarity over layering and texture with warm yet clear neutrality, the Havi are for you. If you put natural layering and texture over staging and image that sounds more clinical, the GR07 is your guy. 

One note about the soundstage is that the GR07 (it's almost as wide, but more 2D and with less height) lacks in space and overall stage depth, but is better in terms of depths of layers. The Havi is more of a wall of sound with better placement and 3D size if that makes sense. One is an onion with many layers and the other like a band in a room where all the sounds kind of hit you at once.

This song I've been listening to is a great test of both. It features a clean acoustic beginning then gets more electrified. It's a great display of what each headphone does best. The havi is clean, clear, beautifully detailed and spacious as all hell. The GR07 is warm, natural and well textured with layers of sound. (Yes, I know it's YouTube, but you can still hear it all).

Lastly, and to comment on this whole situation about the GR07 vs the B3, I'm not saying one is better or clearly a winner, it's all about what YOU like, and that's all that matters. I'll defend the GR07 against anyone who says the Havi clearly beats it. On the other hand I'll tell anyone who says the GR07 is clearly better that they're dead wrong too. These are two amazing IEMs and anyone who wants to argue over which is the king isn't looking at it the right way. This isn't some line in the sand type of thing where you're either with one camp or against them. It's a testament to the amazing things that can come out of the sub $100 market. The fact that the Havi can compete with and best the GR07 in some areas isn't a cause to hate on it. The Havi's losses against the GR07 isn't a reason to rub it in and say "Ha! I told you it couldn't keep up." I've always thought of Head-fi as a way to help and inform people rather than to have these kind of camp wars that got the B3 thread locked. Just because something doesn't measure well doesn't mean it isn't nice sounding or worth exploring. A Corvette doesn't have the efficiency of a Honda Civic, and the Civic doesn't have the power of a Corvette, but it's something that two different people love and use for different reasons. And the thing is, a lot of people love both. Because they're both great, and do their job well. 

Sorry if this came off as a little rambly, but I think I've gotten most of my thoughts out on the two. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #63 of 2,486
So after spending the day deliberating between the two, I decided to put the Havis up for sale so that someone who will get more use than me will give them the love and attention they deserve. I have so many headphones right now and I don't want them to go to waste. Check out the link in my sig if interested. I did record all my impressions of the basics so that I can help people compare them to other things in the future. Thanks a lot to Baycode, peter123, and all the others who let me know about these awesome IEMs. I highly recommend them, in spite of them not being just right for me. 

Funny story: I let my GF listen to them tonight and she said the Havi was her choice over the GR07. Her reasoning? The Havi are better separated and THE GR07 IS TOO BASSY. I asked if she wanted to use them, but she didn't like the idea of using an amp and said she'll just keep her Ostrys. If I ever needed proof that everyone hears differently that was it. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #64 of 2,486
Lots of good impressions Zap!

Quote:

Funny story: I let my GF listen to them tonight and she said the Havi was her choice over the GR07. Her reasoning? The Havi are better separated and THE GR07 IS TOO BASSY. I asked if she wanted to use them, but she didn't like the idea of using an amp and said she'll just keep her Ostrys. If I ever needed proof that everyone hears differently that was it. 
biggrin.gif

Your GF has good taste in audio gear!
beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #65 of 2,486
  My B3s have a rather harsh upper treble (10-13k region) . 

You might want to try foam tips like Comply TS500 to mitigate this. My Havi sound great after I switched to foams. The yellow ones I put on are some no brand tips bought from Taobao but they should be similar to Comply TS500.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #66 of 2,486
I stay away from comply,its a compromise on sq for comfort.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #68 of 2,486
I meant all foam tips,its a fact u are losing lot of highs with foam,no doubt they smoothen out the treble.

But well consider it a mechanical eq,lol

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #70 of 2,486
yeah,do whatever u like.
diff people.diff tastes.

diff options!

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #71 of 2,486
anyone tried the JVC spiral tips yet? oooopens up the HAVI nicely. 

read the last few pages of the "original" thread, it is a shame to close it down.  
where is @BAYCODE...
i apologize to u on behalf of all the great bunch of guys here for your superbwork on the HAVI review.
huggs... get your butt in here...
and dig your face into another review !!!!  :p

Nov 8, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #72 of 2,486
I have the Havi also. Pro I version. Great set for the price paid. Work very well with fado and jazz that doesnt have a lot of metals. Also does not match my ipod and matches very well my amped colorfly.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #73 of 2,486
My Havi B3 pro 1 IEMs arrived up 2 days ago.

First thing......get the ear tips wrong on these and they are just not going to perform for you, get them totally right and these are terrific IEMS.

Thankfully no balance issues with mine (tested with pink noise as soon as I got them out of the packaging).

None of the inlcluded Ear Tips  fitted satsifactorily with the closest being the black foam tips (with tthe circular cut outs in the side). All the silicon tips were no use to me at all.

I use Westone True Fit non silicon tips on my Ety ER-4s (slightly larger than Havi Black foams) and have adpated a pair of these for use with the Havis by removing stems and replacing with shrunk heat shrink to the right diamater for Havis.......terrific results.

Tight low frequency , a wider soundstage/depth than Er-4s, overall clarity and detailed high frequency.

One more thing, I fitted a red heat shrunk ring at the bass of the right ear piece stem so it is much easier to get the right way round.

Good purchase

Tested with DX-50 running DX50_NEW_DOC`S_FAVORITE_FIRMWARE

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #74 of 2,486
My havi if unamped are no good. Amped are very good.

Regarding the tips I dont really find diferences sound wise when I change them. Whats your opinion?

Nov 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #75 of 2,486
Imo..

Unamped: very good.
Amped: excellent.
Tips: huge differences (fit, seal, bore size).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back