Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #886 of 4,032
I really dunno how to describe my feelings about this iem!

Used many high tier iems before but still I hear things or patterns or notes in music I have never heard before.

Source is macbook air. Must thanks Havi for their work.

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #887 of 4,032
I really dunno how to describe my feelings about this iem!

Used many high tier iems before but still I hear things or patterns or notes in music I have never heard before.

Source is macbook air. Must thanks Havi for their work.

Great to hear these impressions Tamirci. :)

Also matches mine :wink:

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #890 of 4,032
How do these compare to the Klipsch S3?

There is no comparison. It's like comparing Pioneer Speakers (B3) with Realistic (Klipsch S3). The Klipsch are commercially tuned, with boomy bass that never gets articulate no matter how many hours of burn in you do, have recessed mids, and hot treble that is sibilant and gives the impression of details, but really isn't. The B3, with completely opposite bass response, but realistic response, has buttery smooth mids and well defined and refined treble, with linear tuning that brings out all the details and nuances in your music realistically and with top notch timbre. There's a shoe horn comparison :)

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #891 of 4,032
There is no comparison. It's like comparing Pioneer Speakers (B3) with Realistic (Klipsch S3). The Klipsch are commercially tuned, with boomy bass that never gets articulate no matter how many hours of burn in you do, have recessed mids, and hot treble that is sibilant and gives the impression of details, but really isn't. The B3, with completely opposite bass response, but realistic response, has buttery smooth mids and well defined and refined treble, with linear tuning that brings out all the details and nuances in your music realistically and with top notch timbre. There's a shoe horn comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

That's good to know, since I've been using apple earbuds up till 2013ish when I used my friend's Klipsh S3 and thought they were pretty good earphones. However I couldn't justify paying $90 (That's how much they cost in stores here) so I went to search for some cheaper/hopefully better IEMS, and so I found Havi/Vsonic/many other not well known brands and they seem to be giving positive reviews at such a lower price. 

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #892 of 4,032
That's good to know, since I've been using apple earbuds up till 2013ish when I used my friend's Klipsh S3 and thought they were pretty good earphones. However I couldn't justify paying $90 (That's how much they cost in stores here) so I went to search for some cheaper/hopefully better IEMS, and so I found Havi/Vsonic/many other not well known brands and they seem to be giving positive reviews at such a lower price. 

I started out with Skullcandy Ink'd, then a pair of Sennheiser CX300II's for two years, then a pair of S3's, S4's and SOUL by Ludacris until I got my hands on some Ultimate Ears TF10's, which changed the trajectory of my earphone life forever after! lol I logged in here and got "the bug". :) Cheers!

Jul 7, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #893 of 4,032
I think you can't go wrong with a pair of VSonics of various models, or a pair of Ostry KC06A's as a starter IEM in the audiophile/high quality realm? My advice.

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #894 of 4,032
  Running the B3 through the Geek Out 450 (when the volume isn't going bonkers (i need to RMA)) is quite clearly the best IEM listening experience I have had so far.

Better than E07K -> B3 or Audinst HUD-MX1 -> B3
Better than VC1000, Rockit R50, VC1000 and KC06 even when nicely amped.

It scales up really well with a good and powerful source. I think bhazard has tried this combo as well and can attest to how good it is.

Have you found that the B3's perform well with the HUD-MX1 amp/dac, even though the 450 performs better? Thanks :)

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #895 of 4,032
I have been trying out various tips with the Havi B3 lately - because I wanted to get as flat and, beyond all, EXTENDED treble. Preferably well past 20 kHz - in order to be able to hear the difference in the same music in two files under ABX comparison. One being in original, "unlimited" beyond 20 kHz response, another limited by the redbook CD standard, which should have absolutely nothing beyond 22.05 kHz ( half of sampling ratew of 44.1 kHz as per Nyquist).

Havis are notorious for fitting/sealing problems - due to their size/shape. They are not impossible to get right - just much more difficult than usual. If you have read my previous posts, I noticed that I usually use them under mufflers ( Peltor Optime III ). This further excerbates the tip selection/suitability/repeatability of the result - as mufflers do touch the Havi ever so slightly, disrupting the seal and/or positioning of the Havi, leading to "funny" results, which are of course the last thing desired.
Due to this interference with mufflers, I settled on using medium eartips which came with XKDUN CK-M700 ( small bore ) or those mediums that came with XKDUN CK-820 ( and turned out were the same ( but for the colour ) - as also supplied with Superlux HD381F and Philips SHE3581 (larger bore ). Both would stay in place and seal well under mufflers. Both of these mediums fit/seal - but only JUST when used normally, without the mufflers. Opening a mouth, even far less than a normal yawn, results in loosing the seal.

However, I did notice that treble was not so great; nothing annoying, certainly no sibilance issues ( please note my Havis are well burnt in by now, taken together probably exceeding 1000 hours of use mark by now, so sibilance from new out of the box is NOT an issue ) - but "air/extension" in the treble was missing. For the life, I could not hear any difference between files with unlimited and limited response beyond 20 kHz using ABX comparator in Foobar2000. Either Stax Lambda or AKG K1000 made this differentiation possible - but not the Havi using mentioned tips.

I tried then each and every tip in my possesion - and got the treble result I was after by using large bore tips from Xiaomi Piston 2. Funny thing - although I usually end up using medium size tips, this time it was the L size that did the trick. For those not familiar with the Xiaomi tips - they are EXTREMELY thin/supple, they are far more fragile than any tips I am aware of, yet used properly ( you have to insert them REAL gentle - or else they wrinkle instead of keeping the form in order to seal properly - pushing them into the ear produces exactly the opposite result than desired ) they are super comfortable over long periods of time and offer great SQ.
But unfortunately they proved to be too much hassle with mufflers - whatever tiny interference there remains with mufflers, it is enough to throw the Xiaomi tips out of balance. Without the mufflers, large Xiaomi tips provide the most secure AND comfortable fit for my ears - while allowing most/all? of the treble to come trough. Since most of the people do not use mufflers , this is a non issue. 

Xiaomi bore is VERY similar to the bore used in JVC Spiral Dots ( but without spiral dots, of course ) . I am going to order Spiral Dots in M and L size ( hard to tell which one would fit - does anybody have the EXACT measurements of JVC tips L/M/S ?) - and will update after I receive them.
 These should sound even better while hopefully being man enough to alow the use of mufflers while still sealing properly.

Jul 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #896 of 4,032
  I have been trying out various tips with the Havi B3 lately - because I wanted to get as flat and, beyond all, EXTENDED treble. Preferably well past 20 kHz - in order to be able to hear the difference in the same music in two files under ABX comparison. One being in original, "unlimited" beyond 20 kHz response, another limited by the redbook CD standard, which should have absolutely nothing beyond 22.05 kHz ( half of sampling ratew of 44.1 kHz as per Nyquist).

Havis are notorious for fitting/sealing problems - due to their size/shape. They are not impossible to get right - just much more difficult than usual. If you have read my previous posts, I noticed that I usually use them under mufflers ( Peltor Optime III ). This further excerbates the tip selection/suitability/repeatability of the result - as mufflers do touch the Havi ever so slightly, disrupting the seal and/or positioning of the Havi, leading to "funny" results, which are of course the last thing desired.
Due to this interference with mufflers, I settled on using medium eartips which came with XKDUN CK-M700 ( small bore ) or those mediums that came with XKDUN CK-820 ( and turned out were the same ( but for the colour ) - as also supplied with Superlux HD381F and Philips SHE3581 (larger bore ). Both would stay in place and seal well under mufflers. Both of these mediums fit/seal - but only JUST when used normally, without the mufflers. Opening a mouth, even far less than a normal yawn, results in loosing the seal.

However, I did notice that treble was not so great; nothing annoying, certainly no sibilance issues ( please note my Havis are well burnt in by now, taken together probably exceeding 1000 hours of use mark by now, so sibilance from new out of the box is NOT an issue ) - but "air/extension" in the treble was missing. For the life, I could not hear any difference between files with unlimited and limited response beyond 20 kHz using ABX comparator in Foobar2000. Either Stax Lambda or AKG K1000 made this differentiation possible - but not the Havi using mentioned tips.

I tried then each and every tip in my possesion - and got the treble result I was after by using large bore tips from Xiaomi Piston 2. Funny thing - although I usually end up using medium size tips, this time it was the L size that did the trick. For those not familiar with the Xiaomi tips - they are EXTREMELY thin/supple, they are far more fragile than any tips I am aware of, yet used properly ( you have to insert them REAL gentle - or else they wrinkle instead of keeping the form in order to seal properly - pushing them into the ear produces exactly the opposite result than desired ) they are super comfortable over long periods of time and offer great SQ.
But unfortunately they proved to be too much hassle with mufflers - whatever tiny interference there remains with mufflers, it is enough to throw the Xiaomi tips out of balance. Without the mufflers, large Xiaomi tips provide the most secure AND comfortable fit for my ears - while allowing most/all? of the treble to come trough. Since most of the people do not use mufflers , this is a non issue. 

Xiaomi bore is VERY similar to the bore used in JVC Spiral Dots ( but without spiral dots, of course ) . I am going to order Spiral Dots in M and L size ( hard to tell which one would fit - does anybody have the EXACT measurements of JVC tips L/M/S ?) - and will update after I receive them.
 These should sound even better while hopefully being man enough to alow the use of mufflers while still sealing properly.

Thanks for the input. Did you ever try senn double flange large bore tips?

The only person I know who used spiral dot tips on B3's is the @Lorspeaker  and as far as I remember @Lorspeaker preferred another tip from another brand in the end. But that's the right person to ask before order
wink_face.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #897 of 4,032

Thanks for the input. Did you ever try senn double flange large bore tips?

The only person I know who used spiral dot tips on B3's is the @Lorspeaker  and as far as I remember @Lorspeaker preferred another tip from another brand in the end. But that's the right person to ask before order
wink_face.gif

Thank you for the response. I have yet to try senn double flnge large bore tips.

I will ask Lorspeaker about the JVC Spiral Dots - but tips for IEMs are perhaps more personal thing than anything else... including ( heavily self-censored ) 
size]
 !

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #898 of 4,032
  Thank you for the response. I have yet to try senn double flnge large bore tips.

I will ask Lorspeaker about the JVC Spiral Dots - but tips for IEMs are perhaps more personal thing than anything else... including ( heavily self-censored ) 
size]
 !

That's right 
ksc75smile.gif

I highly recommend you try senn doubles first. They're dirt cheap and easy to find on ebay. And most importantly, their some characteristics matches the xaomi tips you mentioned (thin wall, large bore). But since they are double flange, they fit well
wink_face.gif

Jul 8, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #899 of 4,032
I m back to the jvc medium spirals...
The large spiral is surrendered to the 850, to hold the heavier iem in place.
The FAD heaven 4 tips hv Been gifted away...:)

Double flanges dun sit well in my canal...never had.:p

Soundwise , the spirals give a less edgy midhighs...
And a more expansive bass..from memory
after 10mins of suffering on STOCKtips.
:)

Jul 8, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #900 of 4,032

That's right 
ksc75smile.gif

I highly recommend you try senn doubles first. They're dirt cheap and easy to find on ebay. And most importantly, their some characteristics matches the xaomi tips you mentioned (thin wall, large bore). But since they are double flange, they fit well
wink_face.gif

I happen NOT to have good experience with more than one flange tips - but I will try these http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Replacement-DOUBLE-FLANGE-Earbud-Tips-for-Most-In-Ear-Headphone-MEDIUM-/261414370743?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3cdd82bdb7

I have seen you are using senn double flange tips pushed as far onto the nozzle of Havi, past the intended notch; I found that increasing the distance from the actual driver to the opening in the tip has detrimental effect with Havi. This is most likely cause for you to push the senn all the way as far as they would go, as otherwise the height of the double/triple flange becomes too great,  increasing the distance between the actual driver and "exhaust". I curse the day I lost one of the single flange large bore senn tips - that could also be worth investigating. I have seen them in your comprehensive survey - how do they stack against the double flanges ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back