Have you ever had a headphone that just immediately hit the spot?
Sep 22, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #46 of 63
Yes - the biggest one was with the K-1000. Every time I put them on (especially with a stellar recording), I feel like I'm at a performance. No other headphone makes me feel that way.

I was listening to http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...sku=CASVSA9117 last night and was in a state of disbelief at the imaging and how I could draw a picture of the musicians in a 3D soundstage playing. It was so real, it was actually kind of scary, but it a good way
gs1000.gif

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #47 of 63
It funny that all the headphones which are held in high esteem never impressed me straight off the lead off hit.

Even headphones like the R-10's, he90's, omega 2's, ps-1's, hp-series etc all took a considerable amount of time for me to appreciate even though it was apparent what they did apparently well.

A lot of headfiers can immediately stick on a pair of headphones and get wowed straight away but for me it takes a while to determine whether I like them or not. Whether it is due to system limitation or limited experience hearing wise or maybe even both.

Sep 22, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #49 of 63
The most recent, and strongest reaction to date, would be the Lambda Pros. So much so they have me pondering selling my K1000 to help fund a serious Electrostatic rig.

Others on the list of big WOWS right off the bat:

PS-1
HE90
K1000
Lambda Pro
HD600 (early on in my journey)
W100 (early on in my journey)

Had to warm up to:

L3000
R10

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #50 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
It funny that all the headphones which are held in high esteem never impressed me straight off the lead off hit.

Even headphones like the R-10's, he90's, omega 2's, ps-1's, hp-series etc all took a considerable amount of time for me to appreciate even though it was apparent what they did apparently well.

A lot of headfiers can immediately stick on a pair of headphones and get wowed straight away but for me it takes a while to determine whether I like them or not. Whether it is due to system limitation or limited experience hearing wise or maybe even both.

I had an interesting experience with MS-1 and MS2i.

MS-1s were my first set of reasonably good phones, and they sounded strange at first. It took a bit of time to warm up to them. They sounded much like my speakers, so they weren't exactly foreign, but the way music was presented was. The soundstaging in particular.

After having the MS-1s for about six months, the quite similar MS2i came into our home and immediatly felt right at home.

Sep 22, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #52 of 63
Naim CD5i Oh wait, that's not a headphone...

Early on:

Stax SR Lambda - bought the demo pair on the spot
HD600 - still very worthy and utterly reliable

More recently:

AKG701 - Maybe burn in is real, maybe not but these sounded good from the get-go.
Shure E4c and E500 - Loved both right away

SR Lambda Pro, HD595 and HD650 took time to appreciate but appreciated they are.

Sep 22, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #53 of 63
The ones i put on a half hour ago seem to be beating that spot nicely: TKam's old GS 1000.
rs1smile.gif

My old SR60s were good but these, I reckon I could spend the rest of my life not leaving the house.
When can I join Team Grado?

Sep 23, 2006 at 11:14 AM Post #55 of 63
When my (almost new) AKG K-501 arrived, I fired up my CDP and LDII+, unplugged my Sennheiser HD595, plugged in the K-501 and threw some Eric Bibb on.

It was incredible! The clarity of Eric's voice and the beautifully natural tone and decay of the guitar notes just blew me away. 'This is as good as it gets' I thought to myself.

I plugged my HD595 back in to compare, and thought 'I've been listening to this?' Compared to my K-501 the sound was boomy, muffled, dark and distant.

It was funny, in isolation I absolutely loved my HD595 and thought it couldn't possible get much better than this, at least not for anything less than a whole lot of cash. I was blown away when my $165 AU K-501 from a headphone afficionado on eBay proved to be an unexpectedly huge upgrade.

Anyway, my HD595 just can't compete, and is now on eBay.

Sep 23, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #57 of 63
I was litenning to a Diana Krall cd on my speakers, then switched the speakers off, plugged in my K501 to the speaker amp headphone jack --> Amazing, special feel, deep base, great vocal, etc.... I enjoyed the cd till the end. I even wonder why i have my other phones around. Then I discovered my subwoofer was left on : ) Such a good experience.

Sep 23, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #59 of 63
edit

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #60 of 63
Senn HD595's were that way for me. Granted they were my first pair of audiophile cans, and I got them used so they were fully burned in. but woah! when I got them I didn't take them off for hours
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back