Have you ever had a headphone that just immediately hit the spot?
Sep 20, 2006 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

pbirkett

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, I think I have for the first time here.

I've just got some DT990's - admittedly only the pre-2005 non-pro model, but woah!
basshead.gif

These really do sound absolutely amazing on this system. Bass is excellent, just right, and very fast and agile. Plenty of detail, nice warm sound. Lively but not fatiguing. They just make total sense straight away. Almost like I've just hit a perfect synergy.

The DT531's have, for the first time, been completely blown away
eek.gif

So, has anyone else had a headphone which has done it for them straight away, and if so, what is it?

I am surprised at this, because I have of late, become naturally cynical of new cans, thinking nothing could surpass my beloved DT531. Quite honestly, I dont quite believe what I am hearing! And this is coming from someone who has owned the DT990 before!

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 63
I had this happen with the Sennheiser HD595/120 ohm. I was just interested in trying something different. I like the senn house sound .... so why not. I was totally surprised how good this headphone sounds with rock and electric blues on my Singlepower tube amps. This headphone is the best of Grado and Sennheiser in one efficient package to my ears. Moreover, I continue to consider the 595 special after several months or very regular use.
rs1smile.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 63
My answer is a little unfair.

I bought my MS-1s because I was lead to believe that they would be much like the speakers I had worked for years to get just right. They were! The MS-1s were a perfect "Proof-of-Concept" set of cans.

I just got MS2i last week to further the cans-the-same-as-speakers concept.

The MS2i clicked, right-out-of-the-Pizza-Box!!

....works for me!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 63
PS-1 hands down... I got to hear the PS-1, RS-1, and DT880 the same day on my own rig and I could not put the PS-1 down. Shortly after I sold my HD650/Zu and ordered one from Todd.
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 63
Never owned a headphone that did it right off the bat, but I did hear one - the HE90. Of course, I don't forsee myself owning one within the next century, but it did hit the spot. Completely and totally what I'd want out of a headphone. I've been trying to recreate a similar sound within more affordable parameters, but thus far, no luck (then again I haven't been tryng too hard either).

I liked the HD600 right off the bat, but it wasn't spot on. It's still a special headphone for me in many ways, but it doesn't see much regular use anymore.

Pretty much everything else that I've owned has had it's +'s and -'s, though some gear I've come to really like over time (ES2).

[Edit: Am dum. Write bad.]

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 63
MS1 i just acquired via a purchase here in the used forums. Man they're awesome. Im sure they're burned in proper etc, but they sound so great. Perfect sound and synergy with my musical tastes. I have a DT990 2k5 edition coming and hopefully they're be just as great!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 63
every headphone i've ever bought had immediately hit the spot for me.

occasionally, later on, when i got something better, i would retract those earlier impressions. so the key is... never buy better headphones. wha??? lol
wink.gif

the AKG 501's were the 1st eureka headphones for me. just blew me away when i first tried them and to this day, i still use them and am amazed how well they keep up other headphones.

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Why did I expect to see a post about the DT990's when I read your thread title, Paul?
biggrin.gif

I'm having much the same reaction to the 2005 DT990's that just landed here. They're not going to replace my W5000, but they certainly seem to be everything I like about the 531, bumped up a notch or two.

biggrin.gif

Yep, that sums it up. Everything i liked about the 531, only better. Similarly forward and exciting, but with more detail, clarity and more importantly, BASS
basshead.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 63
very rarely actually. after my first few "WOWs" in hearing a Grado for the first time, or an Orpheus, it's been all tweaking from first listen. But there's a point where it goes "CLICK" and in come the eargasms!

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I had this happen with the Sennheiser HD595/120 ohm.

Makes sense since its frequency response tracks the Senn 600 so closely. Just differenent presentation of the same song and dance
wink.gif

For me its the Stax O2 and only the Stax O2. Only time will tell but its definitely the can I could walk away from Head-Fi with and never return
eek.gif

Well in the '06 definition of never anyway, think Azure set the bar at 2? weeks
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:14 PM Post #12 of 63
The only headphone which I fell in love with instantly, out of the box and onto the head was the Stax 2020 setup.

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #14 of 63
HD650s... to this day, my favorite cans.

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 63
AKG K340s. After reading about how they sound, they sounded like a good match for me. Boy was I correct. I liked them so much that I decided to spend more to have Larry do his magic on them. I get email from him today that they are in the mail back to me!
340smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back