Have turtlebeaches and M50s? Try it!
Mar 11, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #16 of 30
I was afraid of that. Well, I went ahead and ordered the DT250 pads. Hopefully they'll be good.

Mar 11, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:
I didn't get the X11 by mistake I got a couple others, the X41 and X31 pads and I'm not sure which is which but I got one of them to fit though it is tight.

Maybe the X11 pads work better though.

According to the Turtle Beach site, the X11 and X31 use the same pads...so you actually did get an X11 pad (presumably it's the one that fits your M50). Pity it doesn't do the sound any favors, though.

Mar 13, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #20 of 30
It took the DT250 pads months to arrive when I ordered them. To be honest I don't like them, with them on the bass stops being controlled and becomes bloated. It overpowers just about every other frequency the M50s produce. All you'll hear is a mind-numbing blurred bass, and everything else gets lost.

There are some mods some head-fi'ers applied to these pads to control the bass, I have not tried those though.

Quote:
I was afraid of that. Well, I went ahead and ordered the DT250 pads. Hopefully they'll be good.

Mar 13, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #22 of 30
Whereas the dt250 pads improved the sound along with the comfort of the Sony mdr-7506, I experienced only the comfort boost when I put them on the m50.

"the bass stops being controlled and becomes bloated. It overpowers just about every other frequency the M50s produce."

Ditto. Everything sounds veiled, and detail gets the boot. Tried the taped holes, and it's still not to my liking. Here's to hoping the x11 pads might be the velour solution.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
It took the DT250 pads months to arrive when I ordered them. To be honest I don't like them, with them on the bass stops being controlled and becomes bloated. It overpowers just about every other frequency the M50s produce. All you'll hear is a mind-numbing blurred bass, and everything else gets lost.

There are some mods some head-fi'ers applied to these pads to control the bass, I have not tried those though.

Mar 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #23 of 30

Quote:

I ordered mine from B&H and they've always been good with shipping. The tracking says that they're already here in California. Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say that about the DT250 pads, but i don't always agree with what people say here.My M50's are always recommended to people who want a lot of bass. I actually find my M50's to be more or less neutral with its bass and more enhanced in the highs. I actually find them to be piercing half the time.

I actually like the sound signature of my PX100-II more. Yeah it's bass is less controlled and can be a tiny bloated at times, but I'd take sound signature over resolution if the cost of resolution is fatigue. So I am looking for a darker sound. I just hope the DT250 pads won't give me too much of what I want.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #29 of 30
Yeah Audio Technica nailed the audiological and (to some degree) comfort aspects with their pad, but ignored the durability aspect. It's a devious but genius strategy IMO, makes it so you gotta shell out lots of dosh for their stock pads every few months/a year.

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #30 of 30
It's not really anything special about the M50.  People don't realize how big a role pads play in the sound of a headphone.  If you put different pads on a phone, they will sound drastically different as you are changing the seal against your head, the amount of airflow in/out of the pad and also the size of the inner chamber.  Since people often want to change pads for comfort rather than for sound, they are looking to change many or all of these above things (velour is less sweaty because it lets more air in/out, breathes more) which changes the sound drastically.  DT770 pads are drastically different in all of these ways.  Unless you also change the tuning of the drivers, or the enclosure behind the driver or adjust the damping behind the driver to account for the pad change, it will not sound the same.  If you want the sound to change, then it could be a good thing, but the M50 is fairly well balanced already so to keep that sound a new pad would have to be very similar in size/material/shape and that wouldn't really help with comfort.  The only thing I could see working well for comfort and sound is a pad of the same size but wrapped in leather instead of pleather, because they both probably seal about the same.  But it would wouldn't sound exactly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back