Have $300 to spend... Almost sold on the AKG701s. Should i order? Or is there a better can?
Jan 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DaggothReborn

Head-Fier
My Schiit Valhalla will be here friday... I have 300 bucks im ready to spend now on a new set of headphones to pair with the amp. Jason @ Schiit said the 701s work amazing with the Valhalla. 

Other then the 701s, is there another headphone thats "better" for around the same price?

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 11
I don't know if you checked out the K701 appreciation thread yet...but it seems as if they can do little wrong. I am almost sold on a pair myself. Only thing holding me back at the moment is the amp. I don't have the funds to buy a new amp and headphones (either really :p) so I will be holding off on my next audio purchase until the tax refund rolls in.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 11
yeah... i read the forum and i was drooling :p

but like i said, im open to other options. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #4 of 11
I have found these headphones play music well and can keep up with modern symphonic music, which I play a lot of.  They are fast enough, well balanced and neutral, but they are not the last word in bass.  If you cater to gut-shaking bass, these may not be ideal for you.  I love them.

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 11
well i love bass, dont get me wrong. i listen to mostly rap, but i love rock, and im starting to "expand" into some blues/electronica, stuff like that... i heard that new audiophiles crave bass, and im just forcing myself to bypass that. i currently have some audiotechnicia a700 running out of my x-fi titanium hd sound card, and its bass is fine for me. so im sure these have more bass.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I am almost sold on a pair myself.

I try not to be a K701 basher, but if you enjoy the SR325 and the DT-770, the K701 may not be you cup of tea. The K701 is not terrible, but it certainly is stronger in some genres (classical) than others (anything that requires a deep, punchy bass).

I'm not saying that no one should buy it, but do take the criticisms seriously. A lot of new head-fiers (myself included) jump at the K701 as their first serious headphone because it's so inexpensive for a top-of-the-line can. Many of those people would have been happier with a DT880 or an HD600. I take my K701 out of the box a couple of times a year to see if my opinion has changed. So far, it always goes back in the box after an hour.

Maybe the Schitt would correct all the K701 weaknesses. I don't know. There are other headphones in that price range, however, that are far less controversial.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 11
That's fair...I think my interest is peaked because I read some reviews saying that the K701 was like a Grado done right. Now IMO nothing does Grado better than Grado, but I think that those comments are made because the 701 has nicer highs, still has the great mids and all this with a good sound stage, something that any Grado owner knows is one of their weak points, at least if you have the Prestige Series. I figure the K701 can be had cheap enough used to give it a try at some point and my local Grado deal is also a AKG dealer as well as Sennheiser. So most likely before I do jump on anything I'll A/B/C the K701 and the HD600/650 against my SR325 and see what happens.

Oh...and on the bass...yeah...I enjoyed the bass I had with the 770 Pro 80's...it was fun...but now I'm over it. I prefer something a little more natural, more akin to the Grado bass (after venting the drivers). Still has some impact but is not over powering at all. I think the K701 bass would be fine by me, even if I had to EQ it just a bit.

Quote:

I am almost sold on a pair myself.

I try not to be a K701 basher, but if you enjoy the SR325 and the DT-770, the K701 may not be you cup of tea. The K701 is not terrible, but it certainly is stronger in some genres (classical) than others (anything that requires a deep, punchy bass).

I'm not saying that no one should buy it, but do take the criticisms seriously. A lot of new head-fiers (myself included) jump at the K701 as their first serious headphone because it's so inexpensive for a top-of-the-line can. Many of those people would have been happier with a DT880 or an HD600. I take my K701 out of the box a couple of times a year to see if my opinion has changed. So far, it always goes back in the box after an hour.

Maybe the Schitt would correct all the K701 weaknesses. I don't know. There are other headphones in that price range, however, that are far less controversial.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 11
Do you all think the HD650s are a superior headphone? Because heck, i can wait two weeks...

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Do you all think the HD650s are a superior headphone? Because heck, i can wait two weeks...

Technically NO.
Clarity, detail, dynamics, speed and soundstaging are all much better with the K701's
The HD650's are smoother, softer, fuller sounding and more laid back.

Go with whichever character you prefer but to claim that the HD650's are better phones, technically, no way.

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 11
For what it's worth: I listened to a pair of K701 on some Chinese tube amp (Spark?). Anyway, the sound was nicely transparent and there was bass, so what the heck, I got myself a pair - temporarily driven only by my laptop's soundcard - yeah, I know, actuall a no-go. Anyway, after I while I noticed that those cans weren't as comfy as I had thought - they began putting pressure on my head so I returned them.
Went to a local dealer and listened to a fec cans on his Lehman headphone amp - liked the DT 990 (250 ohm) and was about to purchase when I came across the Denon AH-D2000. Yes, those are for me - the DT990 in comparison was veiled and the K701 kind of blodless.....because the Denon's do have bass and struck me also better on timbres of voices and instruments. So I'd certainly consider the Denon.....plus they are really comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back