Hate to open the Beresford can of worms, but...
Sep 30, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #91 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It strikes me as a bit forward in the mids. I call that a good thing.
Tim

It's the dynamic range of your system that is finally getting some well needed action
wink_face.gif
. The singer is now 'up, close, and personal' as one customer once commented. Try some Mary J Blige, Diana Krall, or even some Patricia Barber. Then feel the hairs stand up on your skin
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #92 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which version was it, and how long did you burn it in? The pre-MK6 versions had a different PCB design and resistor/caps combination that sounded to 'mechanical' to me. The MK6 PCB sounds a lot warmer, but the Hermei electrolytic caps that I use need a 150+ hours burn in according to the manufacturer. After that the DAC will sound far more analogue.
One test I let customers visiting me experience is to listen to a DAC that has had a month or so of burn in, and one that is brand new out of the box.
For those with a cold amp and speakers, my 2nd stage anti-aliasing filter bypass mod brings more warmth and soundstage depth to the sound.

It was at least a year ago I think.... and I used it for a week.

Hey in that case maybe I should try out your newest version. But, first, I have A LOT to read up on........ Ah Head-Fi here I stay

Sep 30, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #93 of 111
Quote:

It's the dynamic range of your system that is finally getting some well needed action
wink_face.gif
. The singer is now 'up, close, and personal' as one customer once commented. Try some Mary J Blige, Diana Krall, or even some Patricia Barber. Then feel the hairs stand up on your skin
wink.gif

I tried some Shelby Lynn, Shawn Colvin and Joni Mitchell. Unfortunately, the vocals on Turbulent Indigo are still recessed and dull. But I can't expect equipment to rescue a bad mix or master. Pity. The material on that album is great, but it is quite dull in the mids.

Tim

Oct 4, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #96 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey, Stanley, even at £1,250 your DAC is a bargain.
biggrin.gif

Hyperbole (/wave Herandu) is what created all of the suspicion surrounding the beresford in the first place. You might want to avoid making comments along these lines, comparing the beresford to $2000+ dacs, if you truly have Stanley's best interests at heart.

That said, hats off to Stanley for keeping up with the thread and engaging with the head-fi'ers in an upfront way. It's the same kind of discourse I (and many others I'm sure) have really appreciated from Maniac in the various Keces threads.

Also, thanks to Mrarroyo for the 9/28 response to my comment a couple of weeks ago. I had missed your comparison to the CDP, so thanks for the clarification. Just curiously, do you recall enough about your prior modded lite-dac and ori dac that you could make any qualitative comparisons with respect to their sound signatures as compared to the beresford?

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #97 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hyperbole (/wave Herandu) is what created all of the suspicion surrounding the beresford in the first place. You might want to avoid making comments along these lines, comparing the beresford to $2000+ dacs, if you truly have Stanley's best interests at heart.

That said, hats off to Stanley for keeping up with the thread and engaging with the head-fi'ers in an upfront way. It's the same kind of discourse I (and many others I'm sure) have really appreciated from Maniac in the various Keces threads.

It was just a joke, calm down.

I'm surprised how much fuss there is about it to be honest, I'm pleased with mine. Saving for a 'big' DAC because of it.
smile.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #98 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by stvn758 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pleased with mine. Saving for a 'big' DAC because of it.
smile.gif

Didn't you buy a DAC1 off GSRAI? If you are looking for a big DAC, are you talking money or sound? I got an updated mod that can help you out on the 2nd, but not on the 1st. It works on all versions of the TC-7510 ever made up to and including the MK6/3. It has been making waves on AoS. I'll probably got to make some mod sheets and put them up on my site for skilled modders to use. Anyone out there in the UK who has a MK1 to MK5 I can borrow to mod and take pics of for the mod sheet? I promise to undo the mods and put your unit back together in the same condition as I received it
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #99 of 111
Quote:

Didn't you buy a DAC1 off GSRAI? If you are looking for a big DAC, are you talking money or sound? I got an updated mod that can help you out on the 2nd, but not on the 1st. It works on all versions of the TC-7510 ever made up to and including the MK6/3. It has been making waves on AoS. I'll probably got to make some mod sheets and put them up on my site for skilled modders to use. Anyone out there in the UK who has a MK1 to MK5 I can borrow to mod and take pics of for the mod sheet? I promise to undo the mods and put your unit back together in the same condition as I received it
biggrin.gif

Got mine off you at Ebay a couple of months ago. Made my megachangers sound really great.
wink.gif

Big as in expensive, something hi-end, budget permitting.

Oct 4, 2008 at 7:25 PM Post #100 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeptic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Just curiously, do you recall enough about your prior modded lite-dac and ori dac that you could make any qualitative comparisons with respect to their sound signatures as compared to the beresford?

The Lite Dac-Ah is a non oversampling unit (NOS). As a norm NOS tend to be quite different sounding form oversampling and upsampling dacs. As far as the Oritek V4.1 I would say it is a clearer and more detailed unit. At three times the cost it should be. But take this in stride, I sold the Oritek a couple of monts ago and aural memory is not that good.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #101 of 111
Quote:

Didn't you buy a DAC1 off GSRAI? It works on all versions of the TC-7510 ever made up to and including the MK6/3. It has been making waves on AoS. I'll probably got to make some mod sheets and put them up on my site for skilled modders to use.

Stanley,
I got my MkV from you on 7 Aug 2007. Appreciate if you can send me a copy of your mod info.

Thanks,
Sam

Dec 3, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #102 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHLim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stanley,
I got my MkV from you on 7 Aug 2007. Appreciate if you can send me a copy of your mod info.

Send me an email.

Stan

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #103 of 111
Stan, I got my TC-7510 from you a while ago to futz with standalone amps such as the LD2s. My main rigs are SS DAC/amp hybrids, but I'm always interested in checking out the stuff that gets attention on Head-Fi. I recently got the Shanling PH100 amp and PCD300A (CDP) and have them in a lineup with the TC-7510. I guess my point is that the ultimate test is whether owners actually use a piece of equipment to squeeze as much joy as they can out of their music. In my case, I use the TC-7510 without any qualms. Like all head-fiers, I'm always reading these threads and looking for something better to try. But in the DAC department, I'm in no hurry.

Dec 3, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #104 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess my point is that the ultimate test is whether owners actually use a piece of equipment to squeeze as much joy as they can out of their music. In my case, I use the TC-7510 without any qualms. Like all head-fiers, I'm always reading these threads and looking for something better to try. But in the DAC department, I'm in no hurry.

I would agree with you there. One of the problems with HIFI is that it tends to take up a lot of buying and selling of equipment before a certain satisfaction level has been reached. I have been lucky enough to have worked out how to make improvements to my DAC that don't cost the earth, and that in most cases can also be fitted to units I sold many years ago. The now famous MOD21 is just such a case. In the last six weeks I must have either modified or assisted in the modification of more than 200 pieces of various versions of the TC-7510 to the MOD21 standard. Hasn't made me any richer, but it has made at least 200 existing customers very happy that they did not have to spend money on a new DAC just to get a massive jump in performance.
Maybe you should consider sending me your DAC back and try out the MOD21. I only charge a token fee just to cover me for a few beers.

STan

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #105 of 111
Quote:

I would agree with you there. One of the problems with HIFI is that it tends to take up a lot of buying and selling of equipment before a certain satisfaction level has been reached. I have been lucky enough to have worked out how to make improvements to my DAC that don't cost the earth, and that in most cases can also be fitted to units I sold many years ago. The now famous MOD21 is just such a case. In the last six weeks I must have either modified or assisted in the modification of more than 200 pieces of various versions of the TC-7510 to the MOD21 standard. Hasn't made me any richer, but it has made at least 200 existing customers very happy that they did not have to spend money on a new DAC just to get a massive jump in performance.
Maybe you should consider sending me your DAC back and try out the MOD21. I only charge a token fee just to cover me for a few beers. Compare that to how much other modders charge for their mods on other DACs.

STan

Stan, I'll definitely take you up on the offer! I've been reading the posts on the mod and have had this very thought in the back of my mind. I think I still have the original box and your mailing address. Please PM me with your address (just in case I can't find the box) and cost, including your return shipping/handling. I'll send it via priority mail from here. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back