Hate to open the Beresford can of worms, but...
Sep 11, 2008 at 9:28 AM Post #32 of 111
I'm the same as Golden Monkey. When I was searching for a DAC a few months back I was actually highly interested in the beresford and almost ordered one, but then reading Herandu's fanatical posts put me off and I eventually got a Stello DA220 instead. I have nothing against Mr. Stanley or the unit itself but the talk by that same guy made me lose interest.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #33 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys are right, and I apologise to all, but especially to Mr. Beresford himself. Anyway, sorry.

Apologies accepted
biggrin.gif
. No hard feelings.
Maybe I can send you a sample of the 7510 USB for testing and review when I manage to finish it after the new year. You have many other DACs already to compare and give an honest opinion on how good it is
wink_face.gif

For anybody else who have a TC-7510, I hope to make a better set of modification instruction like the one I sent to Breakfastchef. I removed the Motional Feedback anti-aliasing analog filter from the output stage in the mod. Active filters in the output stage of any DAC robs the sound of soundstage, dynamics, and fundamental harmonics. But I use A DAC chip that already has a digital and analog filter built in, so there is no need to filter the same signal so many times. With the mod you can get clarity and detail in the harmonics that one modder said brought tears to his eyes after listening to his Diana Krall collection. I take his word for it... No charge for mod sheet. But only experts should attempt such things.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:55 PM Post #34 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I can send you a sample of the 7510 USB for testing and review...

That would be tasty.

Quote:

For anybody else who have a TC-7510, I hope to make a better set of modification instruction like the one I sent to Breakfastchef...No charge for mod sheet. But only experts should attempt such things.

I meant to send a PM to you Stanley and ask if you did not mind if I shared the modification with other Beresford owners. I think it is great that you will provide instructions for other DIYers. I have not ordered the IC that needs to be changed, but did install the jumpers in about 5 minutes. If you need some photos, let me know.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #35 of 111
Lots of interesting discussion here. But the crux of my original question remains unanswered:

Is the Beresford a true 'giant killer' or just a decent entry-level DAC pushed by a fanatical few?

I applaud Stanley's offer to send Golden Monkey a review unit. I think Mr. Arroyo should be sent one as well, given his status as an 11,000-plus HeadFier.

But I would like to see them sent the current Beresford immediately. The new year is still four months away -- and that's assuming the USB is ready in January.

In this junior headfier's opinion, this controversy has gone on too long. Send out those review DAC's immediately, Stanley, and let your DAC stand or fall based on its performance in the hands of some experienced reviewers.

While you're at it, send Penchum one as well. Take a quick look through this forum and you will see how influential his reviews of the Zero DAC and the entire line of Little Dot headphone amps has been.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #36 of 111
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the difference was between the Beresford and the Technolink? Is the Beresford modded in some way to justify doubling the price? If they're the same - the technolink is $120USD which is outrageously cheap.

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #38 of 111
McPanse:

Until our users here get ahold of some more units, you might do well to look elsewhere: specifically hifiwigwam, AVSforums, and the Naim and Klipsch forums to name a few.

And yeah, Supernerd, the Beresford is a modified Technolink. There has been some rabid discussion over whether the mods are worth it, but they're definitely there.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #39 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricey20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm the same as Golden Monkey. When I was searching for a DAC a few months back I was actually highly interested in the beresford and almost ordered one, but then reading Herandu's fanatical posts put me off and I eventually got a Stello DA220 instead. I have nothing against Mr. Stanley or the unit itself but the talk by that same guy made me lose interest.

Yeah, that's basically the bottom line. I have no problem with him having his opinion and sharing it, but when it comes to endless knocks on every other DAC out there (and especially Oritek, lol), PMs that read like advertisements (I didn't get one, just to be clear, but I know of others that have), his non-forthcomingness (lol) about his connection with Beresford, and his general attitude, it really put me off. I haven't heard one of the Beresfords, but I know others that have, and they think that yes, for the money it's a great little box, but it is very easy to spend a bit more and get a better sounding one (and that's what it's all about, surely?). In fact, I was/still am (possibly...) convinced that Herandu and Stanley were one and the same, or he was at least compensated in some way for his efforts of promotion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley
Apologies accepted. No hard feelings.
Maybe I can send you a sample of the 7510 USB for testing and review when I manage to finish it after the new year. You have many other DACs already to compare and give an honest opinion on how good it is.

Thanks for being cool about that...I really had no reason to have a go at YOU, and I appreciate the offer. I will pass however, for a couple of reasons - one, it would be expensive to ship to me and to return, since I'm in the US, and would rather spare you the expense. Two, I doubt I could really give an accurate and technical review that would warrant it...there are others here that would do a much better job at it than I. And lastly, I don't use PC as source, only CD, and therefore wouldn't be able to give a comprehensive and complete review. I DO appreciate the offer though!

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #40 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by supernerd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I was just wondering what the difference was between the Beresford and the Technolink? Is the Beresford modded in some way to justify doubling the price? If they're the same - the technolink is $120USD which is outrageously cheap.

Curious that your first post on Head-Fi could be mistaken for someone trying to intentionally stir up a heated debate by bringing up the Technolink DAC. AS far as I know, S. Beresford designs the unit, Technolink builds them. Pretty straightforward relationship I would think.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #41 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not ordered the IC that needs to be changed, but did install the jumpers in about 5 minutes. If you need some photos, let me know.

I would appreciate the photos. I have just found a ceramic package low noise version of the NE5532 that I bought some time ago for another project. I am waiting for some new caps as well. So maybe I can squeeze a bit more out of the opamp section, and even from the passive (= opamp bypass) mod.

Sep 11, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #42 of 111
breakfastchef;4719753 said:
Curious that your first post on Head-Fi could be mistaken for someone trying to intentionally stir up a heated debate by bringing up the Technolink DAC. QUOTE]

I'm in the market for a DAC. I would have thought that was a pretty legitimate questions for which there has not been a satisfactory answer (I've googled and searched head-fi), despite how easily the question could have been answered (by at least one member of this thread).

But you're right. Your tin foil hat has finally proven to be correct. I did join this forum to undermine some guy and his product that i was considering buying.

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #43 of 111
I specifically answered your question about the relationshop between Technolink and Beresford (to the best of my knowledge), but also was curious about your post. I was not necessarily implying that you were stirring up the waters, but bringing up the Technolink seemed odd as there was a heated and nasty thread on this very subject. I am sure you read that thread and realized the disucssions were less than helpful.

Think what you want. The TC-7510 is a capable DAC. Unless you want to spend $700USD plus, this is my current favorite.

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #44 of 111
supernerd;4720667 said:
Quote:

Curious that your first post on Head-Fi could be mistaken for someone trying to intentionally stir up a heated debate by bringing up the Technolink DAC. QUOTE]

I'm in the market for a DAC. I would have thought that was a pretty legitimate questions for which there has not been a satisfactory answer (I've googled and searched head-fi), despite how easily the question could have been answered (by at least one member of this thread).

I hate repeating myself, but you can get an answer to your question by going HERE to read it. Saves me a lot of re-typing
smile.gif

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #45 of 111
Quote:

Miguel: If you want to audition the Beresford, I would be happy to send mine to you. It is the latest model - MK6/3 with 1/2 of a mod passed along to me by Stanley. I am really tired of the bashing on this forum and would like to have other opinions, particulrly from a Head-Fi member who has listened to lots of equipment. I would also not object if you set it on to Tim. Eventually, it will come back to me.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I can ship it out this week, unless you want to meet half way, partake of a spirited beverage, and go on our way.

Thanks for the kind offer, PM has been sent.

Quote:

I would appreciate the photos. I have just found a ceramic package low noise version of the NE5532 that I bought some time ago for another project. I am waiting for some new caps as well. So maybe I can squeeze a bit more out of the opamp section, and even from the passive (= opamp bypass) mod.

Stanley, first time I communicate with you. I am looking forward to listening to your rig that breakfastchef is loaning to me. If you decide to do a passive mod have you given any thought to using the sprague motor run caps? I used them when I modded a Lite Dac-Ah. Below is a picture of the modded Lite Dac-Ah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back