Hate to open the Beresford can of worms, but...
Sep 10, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #16 of 111
Stanley, where's your lapdog? Haven't seen Herandu around lately...here boy! Get the stick! Fetch!

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #17 of 111
When is the last time any DAC won a What HIFI 5 Star? I guess I shall have to buy the magazine and frame that page
tongue.gif
. I better get myself a designer suit for the award presentation
atsmile.gif

Beresford TC-7510 review – whathifi.com

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 111
I've read more in-depth reviews on a cereal box. Basically "People have been talking about it...it's cheap...it works...". WhatHiFi gives 5 star awards based on other people's opinion? Wow...that's some due diligence.

EDIT: removed my dickish comments...

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #19 of 111
They tested the DAC in depth after noticing that it received frequent comments on their site. The full review will be in the hard copy of the magazine to hit the stores next month
wink_face.gif
. The on-line note is just a warm up
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #20 of 111
Well i really liked the Beresford DAC, and i was impressed with the sound and the availability of conections. I was even happier when i managed to get my old DAC replaced with the newest version at a bargin price.

Like with many bits of gear, there are always choices, pro's and cons, but i was only to happy to support a UK based company that provided a good product at an excellent price with excellent speedy service.

BT

Sep 10, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #22 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by McPanse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are some of the other DACs members would recommend in the $200 to $400 price range?

Does anyone make a CD player with digital inputs available new for less than the Cambridge Azur 740 ($1000)? If a fellow really wanted to keep the equipment from piling up in the living room, for example, this seems like a good way to go.

Well, Cambridge! - specs/features look like somewhere in between a 740C and 840C

What Hi-Fi is a joke publication, their "reviews" are best taken with a kilo of salt

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stanley, where's your lapdog? Haven't seen Herandu around lately...here boy! Get the stick! Fetch!

x2

I'm pretty sure that it's Herandu that people have had a problem with (for quite some time), not necessarily the actual Beresford unit.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #24 of 111
Golden Monkey --

For those of us who haven't been around here long enough to know the details of what must be a long, sad story of dark acts, lost money and violated little sisters, could you tell us what Stanley has done to you to make you speak to him so offensively?

Tim

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Golden Monkey --

For those of us who haven't been around here long enough to know the details of what must be a long, sad story of dark acts, lost money and violated little sisters, could you tell us what Stanley has done to you to make you speak to him so offensively?

Tim

I agree with you Tim, this should not be happening nor tolerated. While it is true that some here are very pushy of a given product (I have been one of those w/ for example the sound out of Xin's portable amps) some take offense and attack a given person.

I will say that some of those pushy guys/gals may at time get a bit obnoxious and on every thread for a given product they chime in and praise the virtue of a given company.

This does get old specially when these individuals indicate that said given product is better than another without ever having heard the "another". It is this repeated behavior that prompts the attacks.

I am at the point of considering purchasing a Beresford DAC to hear for myself what it can or can not do. If someone can direct me to the lowest price in the USA I would appreciated it.

BTW Tim, if I do get it would you be interested in listening to it? Shoot me a PM, since I also have that amp I would like to send you and dw6928 to listen too.
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #26 of 111
I had one of these (latest version) and I was completely satisfied with it for the price. I finally replaced it with a second Lavry DA10 but this cost quite a bit more. The Beresford headphone amp to me was also very good but it had some color that I did not appreciate as much as the DAC side itself. I also had very good dealings with Standley and really don't understand what all the fuss is all about. Some people get their knickers in a knot and can't seem to get them straight.

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #27 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you Tim, this should not be happening nor tolerated. While it is true that some here are very pushy of a given product (I have been one of those w/ for example the sound out of Xin's portable amps)
some take offense and attack a given person.

Yes, it's not pleasant. I bought the Beresford from Stanley a while ago and returned it soon after (not because it didn't sound decent, but because I changed my whole system and realised I didn't need it.) He was one of the nicest people to do business with. Being the impractical female that I am, I didn't have a clue how to connect it. He was really helpful and sent detailed emails patiently explaining what went where etc. He even sent the package out to me the same day, despite the fact I left it really late to order.

I really don't understand why people are so rude to him. Some people just post nasty comments for the hell of it. What's that all about? What exactly has Stanley done to warrant such a negative response???

EDIT: Stanley - congrats on the award by the way
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #28 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The beresford is one of the best values for the money SQ wise. It sounds very good, too good for its price. However, it's not the only good DAC in its price range.

I notice in your signature that you own a Monarchy DAC. How would you compare it to the Beresford?

The Beresford Mark 4 was my first DAC. I then bought a Paradisea and a few expensive NOS tubes but ended up selling it. Recently following a discussion on another forum I decided to purchase an assembled DIY DAC kit and modify it according to specifications(change opamp, add torroidal transformers, bypass caps, etc.) The modded DAC(below), which cost me all of $100, was being compared to DACs costing several thousand dollars on a DIY site. It does have more slam and tube-like warmth than the Beresford but I must admit that, to me, the Beresford still has a bit more air and sparkle. So if the Mark 6/3 with the newer power supply has a bit more weight than the Mark 4 I can see why someone might end up spending considerably more for only marginal benefits.
Based on comments and reviews the Monarchy DAC is really tempting me but I can't help but wonder - how much better is it than the much maligned Beresford.
And for having had several exchanges with Stanley all I can say is that he was always very polite and helpful - before and after the money had changed hands. I don't understand what the Beresford "witchhunt" is all about.
http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/LAMP...lampucera.html
aV1m5LNA-c6f8d58cb664ba570395095a874d0054.jpg

Sep 11, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #29 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am at the point of considering purchasing a Beresford DAC to hear for myself what it can or can not do. If someone can direct me to the lowest price in the USA I would appreciated it.

BTW Tim, if I do get it would you be interested in listening to it?

Miguel: If you want to audition the Beresford, I would be happy to send mine to you. It is the latest model - MK6/3 with 1/2 of a mod passed along to me by Stanley. I am really tired of the bashing on this forum and would like to have other opinions, particulrly from a Head-Fi member who has listened to lots of equipment. I would also not object if you set it on to Tim. Eventually, it will come back to me.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested and I can ship it out this week, unless you want to meet half way, partake of a spirited beverage, and go on our way.

Sep 11, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #30 of 111
You guys are right, and I apologise to all, but especially to Mr. Beresford himself. I had actually meant to continue dialogue earlier, but wasn't able to post until now. I have no opinions on him or his product...I just don't like Herandu. Anyway, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back