Has the R10 lost FOTM status?
Dec 19, 2007 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I've noticed two of these on eBay in the last two weeks after seeing, well, none for a long time. Is this just people raising money for Christmas, or have these lost their "untouchable" status?

I almost bid on the last ones, but just couldn't swallow $4K+ for a closed can without hearing it first (I'd drop that amount on an Orpheus without even thinking about it). I'm kind of glad since people are saying that the markl mod on the D5000 (which I'm going to do within the next few days) comes close to their performance at about 10% of the price.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I almost bid on the last ones, but just couldn't swallow $4K+ for a closed can without hearing it first (I'd drop that amount on an Orpheus without even thinking about it).

There another one on evilBay for $5500. I'd jump for it if someone can guarantee that I'd get a 20% return by next Christmas.
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #3 of 34
when did they have FOTM status? When did you last see them for significantly less than $4,000 USD? Facts, please.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
when did they have FOTM status? When did you last see them for significantly less than $4,000 USD? Facts, please.

Maybe when they were new?

I'm not sure how a limited edition, rather expensive can could be a FOTM. I just saw a thread talking about them last week so I see no downturn in their popularity to garner debate or dialogue. Sadly they are out of my reach and from what I have read are particular about the amplification used.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 34
Maybe I should have used "King of Headphones" status instead of "FOTM" status.

Dec 20, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 34
"King of Headphones:

I imagine to some they still are. Those and a few other headphones are at the upper reaches of most high end cans and understandably there will always be a debate.. For me it is the Koss Portapros. :^)

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 34
Well when the dust settle, and it will be no longer the FOM, just send one pair over to me....
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 34
Do you guys see what I'm saying? I'm not in the least trying to diss the R10--as I said before, I came within a hair of buying them. I love high-end equipment; I own Omega 2, HD650, GS-1000, DT880, K701, D5000 and have Ed9 in the mail; I'm seriously considering buying a pair of baby Orpheus that are now on eBay.

I'm just wondering why it is that so many seem to be coming up for sale at this point. Is there going to be a wave of people jumping off the R10 boat and going to new cans? I've been in the high-end stereo set for two decades, but only in the headphone set for a small time. It's amazing how some of the stuff that was considered high-end back in the 80s (Carver, Nakamichi, Klipsch, for example) is now considered pretty pedestrian. I'm just wondering if this will happen with the R10.

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 34
Just to chime in here, as those are my R10's on eBay right now...

I'm not selling the R10's because I have lost interest in them. They are the most beautifully detailed and lyrical headphones I've ever owned. However, they are being sold due to some significant life changes... I'm getting married and having a baby!

Actually, it wasn't that hard a decision at all. Trading my wooden baby for my human baby is a move I would make any day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's amazing how some of the stuff that was considered high-end back in the 80s (Carver, Nakamichi, Klipsch, for example) is now considered pretty pedestrian. I'm just wondering if this will happen with the R10.

True...but 80s hifi tech is lightyears ahead of most stuff out there that does not cost an arm and a leg.

The R10 has been around for a long time. The R8 was around back in the day and no one even mentions them now. Having heard the R10 with Ray's B52 very recently I think it has some looong legs. I really can't imagine it getting too much better (headphone wise). Maybe an r12 in a good decade?

You have to realize that these halo devices can't possibly be making money. Given the size of the market for limited super high end headphones the development far outweighs the revenue from sales.

This is purely hypothetical, but I think of the R10 like I do of the Veyron. It costs VW 5mil to build one....that they sell for 1.5ish. They do it so that you will want to buy VAG family vehicles and possibly the next (read: cheaper) veyron jr. they make.

Dec 20, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by LobsterSan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it wasn't that hard a decision at all. Trading my wooden baby for my human baby is a move I would make any day.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, just wait until the first time it s**ts on you
tongue.gif

Just kidding, of course... my daughter is the most important thing in the world to me, so I can relate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back