Has the R10 lost FOTM status?
Dec 20, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #31 of 34
They've never been a flavor of the month, more like THE flavor of the last 7 years.
wink.gif
Most people still consider them the KING of dynamic headphones. Even though I sold mine, I still love them.

Quote:

I don't know how far back the headwize.com archives go (I think they lost a ton of posts at some point) but it would be interesting reading to see what people though of them when they were not rare, just expensive. I'll see if I can dig up some links.

I can answer this. Before I got my pair in 2001, there was only one other person over here in the US community that discussed them at any length and that was Vertigo-1. When I bought my pair, they were essentially an unknown quantity and almost everyone was skeptical at the least and downright hostile at the most toward the very idea of a $4K headphone. Buying my pair, even at $1600 was a big gamble at that time. I only bought because I had really taken to the CD3000, its little brother.

Quote:

Current owners realize they can make a killing off the current (crazy) market from what they paid five or more years ago. After owning them for a while, I'd imagine one could learn to live without even a great pair of headphones like the R10, and therefore put them up for sale.

I don't know about this one jpelg. There's a couple people selling for different reasons, but I don't think either one has to do with making money. Those phones were essentially priceless to me until I found something better. Before I mod-ed the Denons I was in a desperate quest to find a like-new pair of R10s so I could have another pair to last another 7 years.

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #32 of 34
Quote:

I'm having trouble finding the exact thread I'm looking for (a long discussion about the R10 vs. HD600 vs. O2 vs. CD3000) but this will give you an idea of the tone of reviews around the time you could buy a R10 brand new:

The R10's reputation evolved over time as more people got to hear them. If you read vertigo's thread, it says some pretty silly things like:

Quote:

Here are the genres that the R10s are not suited for:

Rap, rock, pop, classical, jazz, techno, trance...probably lots and lots of others. Basically anything that requires deep bass, clear sharp treble, or impact.

LOL, which are the only kinds of music I listened to them with for 6 years.
wink.gif
So, if they get into the "wrong" hands at first, or someone with (what turns out to be) an unusual opinion, sure it might look like, based on a sample size of 1 or 2 that the R10 was merely an "above-average" performer. you get skewed data. But we know now that that's not so as anyone who goes to amajor meet these days can quickly assess for themselves by comparing it against the competition. It's held up remarkably well for a 25 year old phone.

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #33 of 34
Yeah, I did find that statement a bit odd, considering people seem to think it's in the same family as the CD3000 which people love for techno/trance.

Just hope to hear it myself someday.

Dec 20, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #34 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol. Out of the ES-1 I felt so, certainly more balanced and neutral than the R10 and also more revealing. Id like to hearwhat you think, considering you actually own them.
cool.gif

I'm sorry I replied in such a manner since a discussion of this would be out of scope for this thread. You can PM me and we can discuss it, or you can start a thread and we can get into colorations and higher end headphones.

---

I also love the R10 but I probably never amped it correctly. That combined with fit issues (I like to rock a bit when I listen and it was oddly balanced on my head for such activity) made it something I didn't end up choosing as my main phone. Plus there is just something about the HE90 that takes away all desire to listen to anything else.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back