Has anything emerged better than Shure SE215 in its price range?
Apr 27, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #16 of 26
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe a few pennies more, but the DUNU Titan 1 is in that $100 vicinity. There is very little else that will touch them.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
TWIN

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 26
For about $30 more, the RHA MA750 is far more refined, open, and detailed and listenable than the Shure 215.  After using the RHAs, the Shures have been banished to the electronic drum kit forever.

Apr 30, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #18 of 26
  For about $30 more, the RHA MA750 is far more refined, open, and detailed and listenable than the Shure 215.  After using the RHAs, the Shures have been banished to the electronic drum kit forever.

Always be skeptical about guys who talk in absolutes. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #20 of 26
Last two mornings, I have listened to these instead of the car radio on the drive to work.

I have recently acquired these and also the HD800S.

After this morning... I am far far far fat far far far far far far far more excited about these than the HD800S.

If you asked me what was the most neutral headphone I have ever heard, I will say it is the Beyerdynamic T1... Specifically the one Winks lent me. I felt in the midrange overall, they were neither warm nor cool.

Until the SE215s. These are neither warm nor cool and seem to have the same color mids, because the color cyan is neutral. But... The Se215s are better because the T1 was slightly constricted in the low mids. Not so the 215s.

In addition, nothing has come closer to on-stage sound than the se215s in my headphone collection.

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #22 of 26
Given I'm hesitant to spring for the 535s or higher, decided to try the 215 first to see if I can get on with the Shure characteristics.
Can anyone recommend a balanced 2.5 trrs cable for them?
Is it possible to use a 2.5 trrs to normal 3.5 adapter then so that I don't have to keep replacing the cable for non-balanced sources?

Thanks
Fm

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #23 of 26
The 215 are absolutely nothing like the 535's. I bought the 215, then the 425 then the 535 and kicked myself for wasting my money on the first two. The 215 is muddy, and closed down with poor definition and highs - the 535 is clean, clear, precise and open - no comparison. I can't imagine wasting additional money on special cables for the 215.

Sep 5, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #24 of 26
"Last two mornings, I have listened to these instead of the car radio on the drive to work."

...wouldn't you prefer to hear what is going on around you on the road? I look at people wearing headphones while driving and shake my head - it's almost as bad as texting!

Sep 5, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #25 of 26
The 215 are absolutely nothing like the 535's. I bought the 215, then the 425 then the 535 and kicked myself for wasting my money on the first two. The 215 is muddy, and closed down with poor definition and highs - the 535 is clean, clear, precise and open - no comparison. I can't imagine wasting additional money on special cables for the 215.

I have B&W P7s as my main pair. These are potentially disposable (I.e. Don't worry about losing them) / easily given away. They are to sample the Shure sound at entry level. The cable would be reusable on the others should I decide to go for the 535s, no?
I also got them from Amazon for 63 euro new.

Sep 14, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #26 of 26
I tried the Fiio EX1 being in a similar position. They didn't last a week before I replaced them with a my second pair of Shure Se215's - this time the special editions. I was actually surprised how much I hated them, I usually like what Fiio does. I flinched every time the black coated aluminium drivers clicked together when not in ear, they are near impossible to get back into their crappy case without damaging the cable when it closes, the sounds spills out and I found there was no presence to the sound stage at all.

I learnt IEM's are very subjective - I'd give EX1's a 5/10 and the Shure's a 8.5/10. I can't go past those foam tips and the perfect fit (for me), and near perfect sound isolation. I definitely know what people mean regarding the bass it's overdone on these but for me it's the lesser of 10 other evils. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back