Has anyone tried the Edition 8's with an ipod?
Dec 9, 2010 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

angels23

New Head-Fier
Meant to say, has anyone tried the Edition 8's with an ipod and without an amp. I need a closed headphone with minimal sound leak.Will be used portably in an ipod and ipad but also connected to an arcam/sonos system. Views welcome.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 4
FYI, you don't need to use all caps in your thread title, and maybe edit it to make your question clear?

The Ed. 8 sounds fine straight out of an iPod, but if you don't plan to use/get a portable amp or a DAP with a high-quality amp built in (like the HiFiMAN HM-801), then I don't think the Ed. 8 is worth the cost for you.  Unamped from an iPod, the Ed. 8 sounds slightly flat, probably better than any other closed-headphone, but certainly not close to a $1300 difference over the D2000 or ESW9.

If you really don't want to get an amp, I'd suggest the ESW9 or D2000.  But if you have the money for the Ed. 8, get it used or find a deal (use the coupon at rmcaudiodirect.com) and spend the extra money on a portable amp or the HM-801.  The Ed. 8 really sings with decent amping; it sounds magical from the HM-801's headphone out.

Dec 9, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 4
I've fixed your title and closed your other threads so people can focus on this one, as otherwise people will end up giving you the same answer in 3 different places.

I've got a pair of ED8s (for sale actually) which I've found work ok with an iPod.  If, later on you might get other gear to use with them, I think they do well, if at their price they are somewhat overkill.

Dec 10, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #4 of 4
Well in my knowledge when ED8 is designed it has considered to be used portable, so using with an ipod may be acceptable.

But in all it is a head-cup, so working with an amp would help this gear perform much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back