Has anyone tried Open_Sale pads?
Aug 2, 2012 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CashNotCredit

500+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fi,

I have some Superlux HD681s that I'm trying to mod (I use that term loosely). However, as a 15 year old with no employment (yet), money's pretty tight in my neck of the woods. I've done  coin mod to reduce resonance in the enclosure (one quarter on each side. I call them my 50 Cent headphones), and all that's left to do to these bad boys is change the pads.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50mm-Headphone-Ear-Cup-Pads-Cushion-for-Sony-AKG-Creative-Logitech-JVC-Panasonic-/110771325939?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item19ca7c4bf3#ht_2206wt_1396

Has anyone purchased these pads? They look fairly comfy, but looks can be deceiving. 

Thanks in advance,
Will

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 11
Is it just me, or are these pads way too small?
Look into Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 pad variants and the AKG K240/270 pads.
They actually fit...

Also, why did you do a quarter mod when the headphones have excessive treble to begin with. But, that's just me and my sensitive ears.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
Is it just me, or are these pads way too small?
Look into Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 pad variants and the AKG K240/270 pads.
They actually fit...

Also, why did you do a quarter mod when the headphones have excessive treble to begin with. But, that's just me and my sensitive ears.

Whoops! I'll edit that. Basically, with the 681s, you superglue a quarter to the circular...thingamajig that says "Superlux" or "2x32 OHM". It reduces resonance in the enclosure. I totally didn't know that the Grado Quarter Mod even existed. The more you know, right?

And after looking on a gigantamongous RockGrotto thread on modding the 681s, a few people have bought these pads and used them, no problem. So I think I'm going to get them, because the stock pads are just ridiculously uncomfortable.

Thanks for the reply, though.

EDIT: They do look too small. I'm going to measure the 681s stock pads so I can see what size to get.

EDIT II: I got about 100mm. The same company sells 100mm for the same price. These must be the ones that the guys from RG were using.

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #4 of 11
Where do you glue the quarter?  Onto the outside of the headphone to stiffen it?  That sounds highly suspect to me.  If the quarter is on the inside it will reflect like crazy, and I'm doubtful stiffening a small part of the outside shell of a cheap headphone like that is going to address the real problems which are peaky and resonant response coming from the driver. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 11
i have tried this mod- it DOES work. a little. a popular mod on the euro site thats been pimping the superlux for some yrs now.

op- try creative labs wow headset pads- they fit, are very cushy

Aug 6, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 11
i have tried this mod- it DOES work. a little. a popular mod on the euro site thats been pimping the superlux for some yrs now.

op- try creative labs wow headset pads- they fit, are very cushy

Thanks a million! My pair's coming in by Wednesday. I modded the heck out of these. Removed the paper dampening from the back, as well as the "peace signs" from the plastic circles. I cut open some of the dampening from around the driver, only to replace it with electric tape, and removed the "Do Not Remove" sticker. Now to do something about that mega-uncomfortable headband.

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #8 of 11
I got the Creative pads in, and am loving the sound of these things. I think they tame the treble a bit, and they're very comfy. Do you guys use them with the stock foam inserts, or do you take those out?

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I left in. It does give the sound more clarity but it was too bright for me.

I left them in too, and it's actually a tiny bit dark sounding now. I think that the electrical tape, mixed with the foam, mixed with the inside lining and plushiness/depth of the Creative pads has tamed that treble quite a bit. They remind me a lot of the pads on my XB500s. Maybe that's why they have the effect of pushing bass up a bit. These sound more detailed than my HM5s (Jaycars, but they're the same thing) and have a wonderful soundstage once the plastic "peace signs" and the dampening from the outside is removed.  . 

Oct 12, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 11
I've tried their pads, quality is ok, but you have to wait.  Their shipping is just fair.
I noted that they have a site-store now, you may have a look.
http://www.jntmall.com/store/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back