Has Anyone Own(ed)/Heard Any of These Players?
Sep 7, 2005 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

TheGhostWhoWalks

500+ Head-Fier
*Linn Sondek CD12
*Wadia 270se/27ix
*Naim CDS3/XPS2
*Classe Omega SACD
*Reimyo CDP-777

I'm thinking of investing in one of these players used. But before I do some traveling and testing I wanted to get some impressions of any of them from some people on here - particularly from people who have tried more than one and can compare.

Sep 7, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 43
I haven't heard a single one of them, but would love to! Nik has the CD12, and hopefully he will see this thread and comment. You might want to add the Meitner/EMM Labs unit to your short list. Check with bozebuttons and immtbiker.

Sep 8, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 43
I've heard everything but the Reimyo.

Before investing heavily on a digital playback, be aware that the CD12 is no longer made and I am not sure the future of Wadia. It seems the company keeps changing hands.

They all have different flavours and how *good* they are depends on what you want and your system make up. Can you home demo all those players?

Having a decent digital playback is a somewhat of luxury in that the return on investment is relatively small.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 43
I've spent some time with the Wadia, and it's a very, very nice player...best I've heard (though I've not heard the others).

Sep 8, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
I've heard everything but the Reimyo.

Before investing heavily on a digital playback, be aware that the CD12 is no longer made and I am not sure the future of Wadia. It seems the company keeps changing hands.

They all have different flavours and how *good* they are depends on what you want and your system make up. Can you home demo all those players?

Having a decent digital playback is a somewhat of luxury in that the return on investment is relatively small.

Why is the CD12 no longer made? I thought it was selling extremely well.
confused.gif
And I am aware of Wadia's somewhat delicate existence. It seems like they've been "going out of business" or "switching ownership" for forever.

Anyways, could you give a brief description of each player and which you preferred (and perhaps which were better/best in different areas)? I just want to take some kind of information with me before I start demoing this stuff. Unfortunately a home demo is out of the question but I imagine I will take my gear with me to test these players out. Luckily I know people around the country who either owns or has access to each of these players so I won't have to rush.

Sep 8, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I've spent some time with the Wadia, and it's a very, very nice player...best I've heard (though I've not heard the others).

I loved what I've heard of the Wadia 861 and I imagine the 270se/27ix is even better.

Sep 8, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 43
If rythm, pace, distinction, and smooth mellow tones (i.e. night jazz) is your thing don't go past the NAIM. They are the undisputed ruller of the rythm world. I'd have one myself if I wasn't saving for the NAIM CD5x.

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #8 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
If rythm, pace, distinction, and smooth mellow tones (i.e. night jazz) is your thing don't go past the NAIM. They are the undisputed ruller of the rythm world. I'd have one myself if I wasn't saving for the NAIM CD5x.

I've heard Naim's are the king of PRAT and from the ones I've heard I definitely think the distinction fits. My problem is I'm a lover of all kinds of music. From classical and jazz to death metal and modern alternative. I really need a player that's a jack of all trades and can handle whatever I throw at it well.

But, that said I'm more into accurate and rich timbral tone than I am into PRAT. To me it seems often times with players there's a trade-off between the two. Some seem to sacrifice liveliness and rhythm for stunning tone and rich timbres or vice versa. I'd like to have something that falls more into the middle. From what I've read it seems the Raimyo does both quite well. I just wish I could find some reviews that directly compares it to the CD12 or CDS3 especially.

Sep 9, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 43
Quote:

I've heard Naim's are the king of PRAT and from the ones I've heard I definitely think the distinction fits. My problem is I'm a lover of all kinds of music. From classical and jazz to death metal and modern alternative. I really need a player that's a jack of all trades and can handle whatever I throw at it well.

Naim only can do mainstream music is a complete myth.
They play all kind of music equally well, particularly the CDS3.
Altho, its performance greatly depends on the qualtiy of a preamp, you'll be surprised how natural and unforced the CDS3 sounds.

As for the difference between the CD12 and CDS3, they are both excellent machines.
CD12= LP12 + Ekos
CDS3= LP12 + ARO
icon10.gif
( well, you said short )
The rest:
Classe=slow
Wadia=stark

Home demo is out of question?
Can you bring your 'cans and amp to the dealer?
It's a lot of money to throw around so be sure to listen at length since the short impression sometimes does not work out in a long haul.

Sep 9, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #11 of 43
yes unfortunatly that is the case. the NAIM as good as it is probably is less then perfect for Rock of Heavy Metal. It does everything else perfectly though.

Sep 9, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Naim only can do mainstream music is a complete myth.
They play all kind of music equally well, particularly the CDS3.
Altho, its performance greatly depends on the qualtiy of a preamp, you'll be surprised how natural and unforced the CDS3 sounds.

As for the difference between the CD12 and CDS3, they are both excellent machines.
CD12= LP12 + Ekos
CDS3= LP12 + ARO
icon10.gif
( well, you said short )
The rest:
Classe=slow
Wadia=stark

Home demo is out of question?
Can you bring your 'cans and amp to the dealer?
It's a lot of money to throw around so be sure to listen at length since the short impression sometimes does not work out in a long haul.

Well, as for my amp I'm just using a Singlepower Supra for the moment but am planning on upgrading to an SDS or SDS-XLR when I get my source problem sorted out.

And yes, that's a quick review.
biggrin.gif
Which of the two do you prefer? What are the major differences between them?

Anyway, yes I can take my amp and cans to the demos. I know people personally who own these players so I won't have to go through a dealer (where I'd most likely be cramped for time). I just wanted to get some info/reviews before I started my trip.

Sep 9, 2005 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 43
Hmmmm, I just had an interesting discussion on the phone with a man that used to sell Linn products for a living. He actually has a CD12 for sale but (get this) actually told me the NAIM CDS3 bests the CD12 IN EVERY WAY! I was kind of surpised - especially considering the fact that by telling someone that he's kinda shooting down his chances of selling his CD12.

Not that I take his word as the be all end all (or anyone's) but I thought that was kind of interesting. I wish there were a few people on here who had heard most of these players and could do a good comparison. Most of the reviews I've read fail to compare them to other top players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back