Has Anyone Own(ed)/Heard Any of These Players?
Sep 10, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
*Linn Sondek CD12
*Wadia 270se/27ix
*Naim CDS3/XPS2
*Classe Omega SACD
*Reimyo CDP-777

I have only *heard * (never owned) one of the legendary players you ask about, and that is the Reimyo CDP-777, as described in this thread (post $12, I believe).

That short time I did get to spend with it, however, was burned into my brain as the best sounding CD experience ever. Also heard it through Meadowlark speakers from a Cary 300 sei (forget speaker model, but they looked and sounded gorgeous). If you get an opportunity to audition one, it is a must hear.

Sep 10, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #17 of 43
What? Wadia going out of business? That would be a sad day in Hi-Fi.
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by agile_one

That short time I did get to spend with it, however, was burned into my brain as the best sounding CD experience ever. Also heard it through Meadowlark speakers from a Cary 300 sei (forget speaker model, but they looked and sounded gorgeous). If you get an opportunity to audition one, it is a must hear.

I love the reviews I've read - sounds like a player that would be right up my alley. By the way they describe it it sounds like it has the timbral richness of the CD12 and the PRAT of the NAIM... Perhaps it's the middle ground player I'm looking for. There's only one up on Audiogon right now and the only guy I know that has one lives further away from me than I'd like to drive.
frown.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
What? Wadia going out of business? That would be a sad day in Hi-Fi.
frown.gif

That rumor has been flying around for forever. From what I've gathered it seems they were going out of business... then they just switched ownership... then they were going out of business again... then they said they weren't. So I really don't know what the hell's going on.
confused.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:

He actually has a CD12 for sale but (get this) actually told me the NAIM CDS3 bests the CD12 IN EVERY WAY!

I don't know if the CDS3 beats a CD12 in every way, but I can assure you they are different sounding players.

A Linn dealer no longer can *sell* CD12s as they are discontinued. Did he try to sell you a unidisk instead?
tongue.gif

I am biased as I own the CDS3, but interestingly enough, I also prefer the Naim arm ARO over Linn Ekos. ( for the same reason )
You just have to listen to both players yourself to understand each player's strengths and weaknesess as they both go beyond your standard hi-fi checklist.

FWIW, both Linn and Naim sources work well with a valve power.

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

By the way they describe it it sounds like it has the timbral richness of the CD12 and the PRAT of the NAIM...

this is why I don't like written reviews.

The timbral richness of the CD12?
That's so far from the truth it's not even funny.
confused.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
I don't know if the CDS3 beats a CD12 in every way, but I can assure you they are different sounding players.

I thought it sounded like alot of hyperbole. I've usually found that audio gear of that caliber usually don't "best" one another but just sound "different" than one another. One man's perfect sounding player is another's overpriced piece of trash.

Quote:

A Linn dealer no longer can *sell* CD12s as they are discontinued. Did he try to sell you a unidisk instead?
tongue.gif

Actually he was selling his own CD12. He said when he quit working for Linn he wanted to have a CD12 of his own but said since he's had the CDS3 he never uses the CD12.

Quote:

I am biased as I own the CDS3, but interestingly enough, I also prefer the Naim arm ARO over Linn Ekos. ( for the same reason )
You just have to listen to both players yourself to understand each player's strengths and weaknesess as they both go beyond your standard hi-fi checklist.

I just wonder if a short audition process - even with my own gear - would really be enough to tell which one I liked better. I know that sometimes the best things in life take a while to warm up to you and grow on you. I wasn't a big fan of the R10s the first time I heard them but after trying them at home for a few weeks I was hooked. :/

Quote:

FWIW, both Linn and Naim sources work well with a valve power.

I assume you're talking about a tube amp? My Singlepower Supra is a tube amp so that would be no problem.

Sep 10, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #23 of 43
Quote:

this is why I don't like written reviews.

The timbral richness of the CD12?
That's so far from the truth it's not even funny.
confused.gif

Mind explaining?

Sep 10, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Mind explaining?

If this dealer has both CD12 and CDS3, just go over there and determine yourself.
No point reading about anyone else's impression/preference.
For God's sake, go out and listen.

As for an audition process, how many CD players have you owned in the past?

Knowing what you like is the key to get what you want ultimately.
You can go through the audio checklist and throw many CDs at it to see. But the right one will *feel* just right. It's certanly not a set in stone thing.

Sep 10, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

If this dealer has both CD12 and CDS3, just go over there and determine yourself.
No point reading about anyone else's impression/preference.
For God's sake, go out and listen.

He doesn't live very far. Perhaps a 4 hour drive away. So I will most likely do that.

Quote:

As for an audition process, how many CD players have you owned in the past?

Knowing what you like is the key to get what you want ultimately.
You can go through the audio checklist and throw many CDs at it to see. But the right one will *feel* just right. It's certanly not a set in stone thing.

Hmmmm, that's a toughie. I've kind of upgraded slowly over the past 10 years or so. Started out with low-level NADs, moved up to a good Arcam but then found a Rega (the Planet) that I liked better. Less than a year ago I upgraded to the Jupiter because it had everything about the Planet I loved (a big, harmonically rich sound) with a more relaxed presentation (not really in sound, but just how it delivered the music) and a bigger soundstage.

But this would be far and away the biggest high-end audio purchase I have ever made (and not one I'll make lightly). After hearing a modded Esoteric DV-50 I finally became convinced at the high rewards that the top players out there can offer.

Mostly what I'm looking for is just a player that sounds as far away from "digital playback" as possible. The most enticing reviews I've read on the CD12, the CDS3, and Reimyo have all been the ones that said they make it sound like you're hearing music exactly how it was recorded and not just music that's been digitally encoded and being played back.

As far as the "characteristics" I really want a player with excellent and punchy bass as my R10s are a tad bass shy. But just as important as that are accurate instrumental timbres. I really want something that just does everything extremely well. I don't have to have that's "the best" in ever category (or any category). Just one that will play the extremely wide range of cds I have and play them well. Everything from classical and jazz to metal and rock and blues.

Sep 10, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #26 of 43
Quote:

As far as the "characteristics" I really want a player with excellent and punchy bass as my R10s are a tad bass shy. But just as important as that are accurate instrumental timbres. I really want something that just does everything extremely well. I don't have to have that's "the best" in ever category (or any category). Just one that will play the extremely wide range of cds I have and play them well. Everything from classical and jazz to metal and rock and blues.

Don't feel like you have to buy a $12,000 machine to achieve this, especially when there are some excellent choices in the $4,000 to $8,000 range. For example, the Wadia 861 is an incredible machine at half the price of the 27ix/270 combo. And no, they aren't going out of business this month
smily_headphones1.gif
The Meridian G08 at $4,000 is a nice player as is the Esoteric that you've already listened to.

Listening to these players is a must since only your own ears can decide! If you are spending in the range of the best, I do recommend checking out the EMM Labs SACD-1000/Dac6e or CDSD/DAC2.

Kuma: Good to see you back around these parts!

Sep 10, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #27 of 43
If you are going that low, why not lower?
tongue.gif

The Eastsound CD-E5 does everything well and a few things exceptionally and it costs under $1k shipped.
cool.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Mostly what I'm looking for is just a player that sounds as far away from "digital playback" as possible. The most enticing reviews I've read on the CD12, the CDS3, and Reimyo have all been the ones that said they make it sound like you're hearing music exactly how it was recorded and not just music that's been digitally encoded and being played back.

Oh sure.
All hi-end digital try to emulate that *analogue* sound whatever it maybe.

But not all record players sound the same.

There are many analogue set ups that I 'd rather live with my CD players!
icon10.gif

Sep 10, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #30 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Don't feel like you have to buy a $12,000 machine to achieve this, especially when there are some excellent choices in the $4,000 to $8,000 range. For example, the Wadia 861 is an incredible machine at half the price of the 27ix/270 combo. And no, they aren't going out of business this month
smily_headphones1.gif
The Meridian G08 at $4,000 is a nice player as is the Esoteric that you've already listened to.

Listening to these players is a must since only your own ears can decide! If you are spending in the range of the best, I do recommend checking out the EMM Labs SACD-1000/Dac6e or CDSD/DAC2.

Kuma: Good to see you back around these parts!

After talking with Steve at GNSC the Statement Modded Wadia 861SE ($9650 brand spanking new) is a forerunner as well. He said it even bests the 270/27 with the Basic Upgrade on both (which, new, would be about $20,000). And I was not a big fan of the G08 I heard. Granted I didn't have that much time with it, but there was just something about it that didn't strike me the right way. I've heard it said that it somehow missed "the soul" of the music and that's how I felt too. And the Reference Audio Modded DV-50 is high on my list as well. I loved the one I heard and if the ones on my list aren't significantly better I might go with it.

And thanks for the other recs. I'm going to check out as many as possible. I just wanted to get some opinions/info first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back