Has anyone met their audio goal?
Apr 14, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #61 of 72
1st Goal: Try as many cans I get my hands on (life long progress)
2nd Goal: Build my knowledge base to actually be able to comment on anything headphone related with reasonable input (Thinking of doing an Electronics degree to complement my existing one)
3rd Goal: Become a Headphoneus Supremus (life long progress, IMO)
4th Goal: Own a pair of K1000 with a worthy amp (Some time in the future)
5th Goal: Own an Amp from WooAudio (Some time in the future)
6th Goal: Get in to DIY'ing and the process convert my loft for this purpose.

At the moment I'm quite happy with the setup I've got, it makes me drift in the realms of musical pleasure I always aim for.

J

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #62 of 72
Kool Bubba, America would appreciate it if you would do your patriotic duty and put that tax refund back into the economy. For my part, I'm getting close. I love my trusty ol' HD580s. I got myself a big hard drive and ripped everything to lossless files a couple of months ago. Just this weekend, I put my old Harman Kardon integrated amp in there as a (extremely) powerful bump to the Senns. It sounds great. But I need to get a DAC between the Mac and the amp. That will be an Apogee Duet. Soon. And then I'd like to hear a few dedicated headphone amps to see what they get me over the HK. And I'd like to maybe add another pair of phones with a different sound signature from the Senns.

It's a journey. Sorry about my wallet...

Tim

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #63 of 72
Recently I decided that I really wanted a nice chairside headphone listening area in my studio. Unfortunately, simple desires are all too often not so simply met.

A Sony Discman, even a D-303 through lineout begins to show its shortcomings coupled with a nice amp, in this case, a nice used Meier Audio Corda Headfive via Ebay, and then the quick upgrade from Senn HD595s to HD650s. Thought of obtaining a modded Shanling PCD3000A, one of only two half-size units that seemed worthwhile, but backordered supply chain problems nixed that. I gave up on compactness and upgraded the concept to include a full-sized CDP, a HRAM-modded JoLida JD100.

Heck, just ditch the little end table I planned on using in favor of this larger (much larger) chairside bookcase from the den, right? So what that the wife has started referring to the setup as "the command center"...I did need another bookcase-type table on the other side to hold CDs, a book or two, a lamp and the coaster, am I right?

Add some nice interconnects from Heartland Audio (nice cable and great value for the reasonable outlay) and Soloz cable upgrades for the Senns and now, finally, I'm hearing exactly what I was seeking when I started out this simple...yeh, right...simple search. Now I'm as happy as a pig in...well, just say I'm really loving a great soundstage, rich tube warmth and the isolation from the day's cares that only a glass of adult beverage and good headphones can provide.

Long may this feeling last...because my toy fund can't take any further hits for a long while
redface.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:01 PM Post #64 of 72
Funny, I came here a couple of months ago after buying my first DAP looking for headphones. Lets see....

Portable: Cowon D2 -> Tomahawk -> SE530/PK3/KSC75
Home: D2/laptop -> Opera -> K501/SR225/HD580 (coming)

If I follow the path of my Home entertainment system I should be satisfied for a long time without the urge to upgrade. The cost/benefit doesn't work after a certain point for me.

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I should be satisfied for a long time without the urge to upgrade. The cost/benefit doesn't work after a certain point for me.

Hit the nail right on the head. I'm more than happy with the setup Ive got now, with no real urge to upgrade. The only things on my future buys list are some HD650's and maybe one day some custom IEMs. Otherwise stick a fork in me.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #66 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no such thing as being done.

It's more than possible to find lasting happiness in this or in anything else in life; most people just let greed get in the way. :O)

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #67 of 72
I reached my goal. I wanted the perfect rock headphone setup and now own the L3000/DHA3000. I'm still blown away by the sound everyday.

I was able to test most of the highend setups a few years ago at the San Jose head-fi meet and the L3000 was the only one I craved. I owned the PS-1 at the time.

So now that I don't have to upgrade or tweak my system, I spend my time improving my music collection. I also can just enjoy my music and not stress out about what would make it sound better.

Jan 6, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #68 of 72
Not yet!
But I am probably closing in...
tongue.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #69 of 72
My goal has always been to always be able to listen to music and enjoy it. Having only one headphone haven't worked for me as not all music suits every headphone.

I think I see my goal though, but not quite there yet.

Needed to get there:
Quality dac: Northstar M192, Opus, Buffalo or similar.

Good amping for all my headphones, either two amps for high and low impedance, or one which is good for all my headphones. Would like to have a smallish transportabel(not necessarily portable) SS-amp which I can take with me if I'm going somewhere (similar in size to meier arietta/headfive or graham slee novo would be great).

I'm pretty satisfied with my current headphone stable. I do of course lust for some more headphones, but it's not really needed. For the moment I want a bassheavy headphone again as I do not have one at the moment. Something like a Denon might do.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
But if I come to my senses I have really already reached my goal. I now can listen to every music and enjoy it all, be it classical, jazz, blues, vocal, rock, metal, trance/techno/electronica.

Listening to my Zero dac with OPA-Earth in the dac and LT1361 in the internal amp and vintage RS-1 as headphones and the sound is really incredible already. Who would really need better sound quality than this?

Jan 6, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #70 of 72
I am nowhere near it. I just completed my "test" build of the CK2III. My long term goal is a Beta 22 but that'll be a while down the road. I also need more phones to try out to find that perfect one for me. I have several and I have heard many more, but I haven't found it yet. I am heading into NY soon to hear the RS-1 and I am hoping that it may be the end of the line, but I don't really mind if it isn't. I am having fun getting there.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #71 of 72
I don't think I'll ever reach that goal. I just want a system that I'll be happy with... THe problem is, I don't know what 'sounds good' or if my current setup is good enough because I don't really have the chance to compare! I'm now thinking of getting the RSA Pred and d2000 (or keeping my ms2i) and if i'm ecstatic with the setup, good for me, but if I'm still not satisfied I'm selling all my gear and sticking with ibuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back