Has anyone heard of KOZEE SOUND SOLUTIONS?
Mar 7, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #151 of 199
Adam recently added the re-shell option to his website. You should still be able to have them done.
I'm thinking he simply forgot to reply to your e-mail and it got buried under other inquiries. I have noticed his replies taking a little longer than usual lately, but he has gotten back to me; often after sending another e-mail. The man must be swamped with orders, lol

Mar 7, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #153 of 199
I agree that he is probably very very busy right now, but has almost always responded within a few days at the most.  Except one time, so I sent him an email and he quickly responded kindly and graciously.  He seems like a very sincere and honest person and has earned my trust.  So much so that I have already sent my JH16 to him for a reshell before receiving my reshelled TF10 and X3.

Mar 7, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #155 of 199
Unless there is some terrible issue with Adam's workmanship (which I doubt, but I'll find out in 2 days), I think a $100 TF10 plus a $90 silicone reshell would be an ideal entry into the world of customs. He checks the sound sig to make sure it doesn't change after the work is done, so you'd already know what to expect from the sound.... and the comfort should be really good with silicone. 

I guess the question is how good does the X1 come to that level of performance for $50 less. And also how hard is it to find a $100 TF10 these days.

Mar 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #156 of 199
There aren't many $100 TF10s out there.  I paid more for min, $130.  But still, $130 for the TF10 + $90 for the reshell + $30 for a new cable is still a great price if you like the sound signature.  I am actually hoping I am not hearing the proper sound signature with the universal TF10 I still have in my possession and/or the new cable improves the mids because I don't really care for the TF10 sound sig (nor the fit).

And yes, that is the question...how close is the X1 to the TF10 after a reshell?  And that opens all sorts of possibilities...the X1 (or X2) vs. a DBA-02 reshelled, CK10 reshelled, etc.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #157 of 199

Quote:
There aren't many $100 TF10s out there.  I paid more for min, $130.  But still, $130 for the TF10 + $90 for the reshell + $30 for a new cable is still a great price if you like the sound signature.  I am actually hoping I am not hearing the proper sound signature with the universal TF10 I still have in my possession and/or the new cable improves the mids because I don't really care for the TF10 sound sig (nor the fit).

And yes, that is the question...how close is the X1 to the TF10 after a reshell?  And that opens all sorts of possibilities...the X1 (or X2) vs. a DBA-02 reshelled, CK10 reshelled, etc.

I will be very interested in your impressions AJ.  I think I hear the TF10 the same unimpressed way you do.  I'm confident I'll be able to count on your impression of the remold.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #158 of 199

Quote:

I'm in the exact same boat.  I'm probably going to give the customization a whirl, but I am tempted to cut my losses and just sell the triple.fi's as I doubt that there will be a massive improvement or change to the sound signature. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #159 of 199
Well imo if you are not liking the signature of the universal TF10 I doubt a custom TF10 will do much for you. I originally got the TF10 with the plans to do something similar but that idea went out the window pretty fast after i decided that they were not for me.

Mar 7, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #160 of 199

Quote:
Well imo if you are not liking the signature of the universal TF10 I doubt a custom TF10 will do much for you. I originally got the TF10 with the plans to do something similar but that idea went out the window pretty fast after i decided that they were not for me.

I suspect you're probably right, but it's a toss-up with how cheap it is to do a re-shell.  I'm playing with the idea of just keeping them as my gym pair, while using the experience of trying out a custom to determine whether I want to jump into the deep water with something a little more expensive and suited to my preferences.   If I can't get a good fit without significant hassle, I'll likely abandon the idea of going custom in the future. 

Still, you make a good point about the mistake of trying to dress up an IEM that doesn't grab you with customization, thinking that will change one's basic take on things.  I've made that mistake before.  I knew the triple.fi would drive me nuts with it's fit even before I bought it, but "the price was so good." 

I also am not so neurotic about sound signatures that I can't trade a little in the way of prefered signature for overall quality.  For instance, I'd bet dollars-to-donuts that the X1 won't be as good as a triple.fi re-shell, regardless of sound signature. 

Mar 7, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #161 of 199

It seems like there's quite a few people who are anxiously waiting to hear about the first arrivals of the Kozee, so I just want to post that I have just received my X1 today. They are my first pair of customs, so I have of course no experience with comparing them with any other customs.

My mold was made from the DIY kit I received from Kozee. Fortunately for me this kitchen experiment turned very well, so I must admit that my wife qualify for this type of job as well!  

It takes me around 15-25 seconds to place them in my ear and assure that I have a perfect seal and fit. I assume that silicone has more of  a surface friction than acrylic, so it may take longer.
I have only worn them for around an hour or so at the gym and they stayed fairly secured and I only broke the seal during some heavy load bench press work out, but more likely due to the increased inner ear pressure during this exercise. So all I can say for now is that they fit my ears perfectly.

The quality of the silicon mold, the cable and its attachment. I'm right now very pleased with, but again I have no other custom experience to compare it against.

I won't comment much on how they sound, because I need more time to do some critical listening with these before I make any definite opinion on how they sound

I have also recently been listening mostly to my DBA-02, Q-Jays and sometimes also the TF10, so my hearing is kind of adjusted to how particular the DBA's and Q-Jays sound and I need much more time with the X1 to conclude more precisely how I experience them, but I will say that the X1 sounds from my brief impression very different than any these. It doesn't have the same type of presentations of the mid and upper frequencies, but leans toward a much warmer and somewhat more intimate sound. 

I will at one point most likely have either my DBA-02 or TF10 reshelled by Kozee as well since I right now have a mold that seems fits my ears very well and it saves me a visit to an audiologist.

Mar 8, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #164 of 199
@ Jupiterknight, congrats on your X1, looking forward to your thoughts/reviews.  If you want, you plan on posting a review/pictures, etc, you can post them in my new Kozee thread and I will link them to the first post.  I will be posting all my thoughts in that thread.

Mar 8, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #165 of 199
I don't know what others think, but I would prefer if everyone posts their reviews here. I don't see much point in fragmenting the discussion. It just gets confusing and makes it harder to find information in the future.

Best regards,
Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back