Has an artists behaviour ever turned you off their music?
Sep 2, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #137 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She is addicted to Wonder Woman?

Hehehe, oh man, weren't we all?

wonderw.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #139 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by wower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "whoosh" you hear is the wonder women reference going right over my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's people making fun of common mistakes in spelling. Myself, I've just come to accept the fact that I'm surrounded by people who can't spell.

Sep 3, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #140 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's people making fun of common mistakes in spelling.

I think it's more a case of having fun with the mistakes (in this case heroine vs heroin) than making fun of the mistakes or the person. But admittedly, it can be a fine distinction, especially on the internet. But I thought Coltrane's post was pretty funny and clever. Hope stewtheking doesn't take it the wrong way
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #141 of 172
call me controversial, but i dont really care what the musicians are like, as long as i get the musical enjoyment. worrying about musicians attitudes just limits the amount of music that you listen to. These days, there is a lot music available from just about anywhere and everywhere. Artists attitudes, behavior and politics are often distasteful (especially in metal, most black metal is pretty naughty). With people like this cropping up in every walk of life, it really helps to ignore the idiots behind the music, and just groove. Why should it ruin your fun?

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #142 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't not listen to Bob Dylan, even if he is a crotchety old turd

He's not an old turd. He's a genius. I hate you :p
But What?
I can listen to Burzum or Spermswamp. I don't follow any principles. Don't care if the artists is too evil or too good for me.

Only music matters. Here I must swear I've never heard a good EMO or christian music. Or never a good "easy listening" jazz. Or no good german operas.
On the other hand, there's nothing like a bad shoegazer band or bad dark ambient :p

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #143 of 172
What I WOULD hate is an artist singin' about lotta luvin' that turns out to be a tyrranic sadistic person, like F. Sinatra was.

On the other hand, some artists making true black music fascinate me when they have uncertain past.
Like Gaahl of Gorgoroth.
I don't think - after watching a documentary featuring a rather long dialogue with him - he's evil.
I'd rather say he's a totally harmless freak hating herd logic and power. He's a vegetarian. The blood they used on their banned Warshaw video was fake and the sheep heads were waste anyway and they just bought them at local butcher's.
I think there's some prejudice against black metal in northern Europe. Since the church burning "parties" it's easy to get acused of whatever nonsense and their courts. Everyone's ready to try screwing money from 'grim' persons...

Or Genesis P-Orridge of Throbbing Gristle.
It's a genius having his own principles. Never mind he made some sick trick movies, what matters to me is his music.
Again I think it's a wise, thoughtful person with a sane approach to everyone and everything around himself.
He even made some trips to Nepal (or Tibet?) to feed the poorest there - spending his own money on that.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #144 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnywolfet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
call me controversial, but i dont really care what the musicians are like, as long as i get the musical enjoyment. worrying about musicians attitudes just limits the amount of music that you listen to. These days, there is a lot music available from just about anywhere and everywhere. Artists attitudes, behavior and politics are often distasteful (especially in metal, most black metal is pretty naughty). With people like this cropping up in every walk of life, it really helps to ignore the idiots behind the music, and just groove. Why should it ruin your fun?

I don't think I could generalize in that.

I know some black metal artists personally.
Those I know are pretty intelligent, thoughtful and supportive. Geeky, too. Very nihilistic.
But you can't say they're sadists just because the music is bleak.

Again: take a look at those popstars. Away from the mindless, overproduced farts most people call music (unlike other underground genres) you should hate the stars for, many of them appear to be hypocrates, many to be violent etc.
I don't think people know a lot about artists they listen to. Especially when it comes to pop.

May 26, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #145 of 172
Elvis Costello. Just saw him open for The Police the other day and while he put together a good opening act, has a good voice, can handle the guitar, writes interesting music, etc. I can't put aside the fact that he was such a jerk when starting out.

May 26, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #147 of 172
It used to be a huge deal to me.

After finding out how big of a prick Axl Rose is, I stopped listening to Guns N' Roses, and any bands/ solo projects involving people who came in to the band after he pretty much forced out Slash and Duff.

Then I came to the realization that the music is still incredible, regardless of how big of a chauvinistic ass he may be. Plus, I get to listen to my GNR and Buckethead again.
gs1000.gif

I still hold artists who I believe are better people/ not in it for the money/ etc. higher than others, but at the end of the day, most of the time, the kind of person you are doesn't make your music better or worse.

May 28, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #148 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepkyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i can't not listen to Bob Dylan, even if he is a crotchety old turd

Same here. My company had a 30 year anniversary party. Had four bands there. One was Bob Dylan.

He just marched onto the stage, played his 5-6 songs, and marched straight off. No eye contact with the crowed, no communication or acknowledgment what so ever. And to top it off, his singing was horrendous. I could barely understand what he was mumbling. To top it off, just like cowbell, I can only take so much harmonica.

May 29, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #149 of 172
Mitchell in the Boston Commons 1983 (I think). She stormed off stage after stating, "When you people sit down and listen I'll return". When she finally returned, she was booed. Rightfully so imo.

It took me quite a while before I felt inspired to listen to her music again.

May 29, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #150 of 172
usually no, but when i found out that flyleaf was super christian (i listened to them for a day, really liked them, finally a decent female vocalist for metal! nope.. they're avid christians.. about a day into listening to them i looked up/listened closely to all the lyrics and i wanted to punch myself to liking them.

ahem.. i think my account name explains it.

(im not a complete nihilist, but i do love discussing it in depth, its a very interesting idea.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back