Has an artists behaviour ever turned you off their music?
May 29, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #151 of 172
Yes, U2.

Funny, most of the time I don't have trouble swallowing gospel and even christian rock (done well), but their paticular brand of preachy BS irks me to no end.

May 29, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #152 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think I could generalize in that.

I know some black metal artists personally.
Those I know are pretty intelligent, thoughtful and supportive. Geeky, too. Very nihilistic.
But you can't say they're sadists just because the music is bleak.

Again: take a look at those popstars. Away from the mindless, overproduced farts most people call music (unlike other underground genres) you should hate the stars for, many of them appear to be hypocrates, many to be violent etc.
I don't think people know a lot about artists they listen to. Especially when it comes to pop.

amen.

tons of metal artists actually care about their music, ive seen more passion about writing and creating music in melodic death metal bands than i have in nearly any other genre.

calling a certain genre more likely to be violent is grossly innacurate.

pop starts get busted for DUI's,
rap starts get caught in gang wars
techno junkies get caught doing rave drugs and drinking too much
death metal... um... sound angrier so lets blame them!

haha... i have one word:

Wumpus.

May 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #153 of 172
I was trying to hold back, but I just can't. I know so many hold him in such high regard, but I can not stand Ryan Adams!! His whole bi-polar show thing drives me nuts. When I saw him he came on stage, turned out the lights, and sat off to the back and side of the stage. If you didn't know who to look for, you would not have known who was singing. He never moved, and made only one comment all show, and that was rude and sarcastic about the audience. At least 70-80% of the audience left before it was over. As soon as his contractual time was up, he ended the song and walked off stage. He had ZERO passion in his performance. It was VERY clear he did not want to be there.
I say, if you don't like to play live, don't. Then I won't have to waste my money to see you....
Now when I hear his songs, I just get irritated....

May 29, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #154 of 172
I can't listen to anything with Chrissie Hynde in it or anyone else who self-servingly shills for money grubbing orgs like PeTA. That's not a big deal as there's only one Pretenders album worth a damn and Pink sucks.

I'm also becoming increasingly intolerant of so called anti-war musos who call for troops to be withdrawn from Afghanistan and end up confusing pacifism with making excuses for fascism.

Other than that, I generally just stick to the music.

May 29, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #155 of 172
wow oldie thread..recall almost posting to this one several times over the years but what to say??
Having read all the way through this one, I have to add my reluctance seperating the man, his music, and Politics in regards to Beck. I cannot buy a new album of his knowing the funds may be going in part to Scientology. I have been back and forth with the topic and still enjoy his music overall (especially mellow gold, mutations, odelay, guero), and seen him 3 times in concert too. It is a struggle, I have the same stigma with Hollywood actors/acctresses too where I cannot get behind nor indirectly support scientologists, just me. (this post most likely shall be deleted by an opposing member of Scientology but oh well)
cool.gif

May 29, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #156 of 172
Fergie's pee stain pictures turned me off from her music. Not that I was that into it before.

May 29, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #157 of 172
when we had that thread going around in the general forum with one of the radiohead members stating that hi-fi audio is just a bunch of old guys trying to make their music sound as good as it did when they were kids... etc etc

it was really a turn off.. I've never been in love with, or really hating of radiohead.. and it wasn't thom yorke who said that

but knowing that that person, who I found to be incredibly ignorant, is behind part of the listening experience often pops up and bothers me

Jun 1, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #159 of 172
Once I came to terms with Elton John's bisexuality when I was 13 years old (I had to, I loved his music too much) I have been pretty tolerant ever since.

Oasis comparing themselves to the Beatles may have been a problem but I didn't like them much anyways.

Jun 1, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #161 of 172
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread, maybe somebody mentioned it already - but how about Metallica suing their fans over illegal downloads?.. Sure, they were right, business-wise, but still...
I am bringing this just as an example how, IMO, there should be no problem enjoying the artist's - musician's, painter's, actor's - work even if he/she/they is/are complete a**hole(s). Seriously. Creative people are more likely to be freaks, or worse. They have more temptation to become arrogant...
I take artists like Metallica as a force of nature, really. Admire, without wanting to get too close. I can't say I am a "fan" of theirs, but at the right time, their music sounds to me fantastic, among the biggest sonic joys I have ever experienced. Their collaboration with symphonic orchestra is the only rock/symphonic collaboration that sounds natural to me (well, perhaps Rick Wakeman... but that is much "softer" music). And I have no problem listening to that music even though it is made by people with whom I would not share the same field field for a poop, as they say where I grew up.

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #162 of 172
I saw the Foo Figthers live once and Dave Grohl was doing the whole ******* comedian routine and I wasn't impressed. He made fun of an old man who danced to Aurora at the previous nights show. He also said something like "what kind of screwing loser brings a banner to a concert?" to someone who had a birthday banner. I know he was joking, but it urked me. His attitude put me off their music for a while after that show.

And thanks to some earlier post I was reminded of the last Pearl Jam concert I went to where Eddie Vedder went religious at least twice. For those with the Gorge set, it was the second concert during Black and before playing Given to Fly which was kind of religious already but he made sure to point it out. It's obvious but you can imagine its about something else usually, at least I could.

I'll have to read more of this thread. It's interesting, hopefully it doesnt ruin anyone else for me.

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #163 of 172
Yeah after the metallica vs napster thing I sold off all metallica cds and stopped listening to their music. I sold off all albums I have that the artist are affliated with RIAA aswell, but it's more about boycotting RIAA, not against the bands.

Quote:

Originally Posted by in_utero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After finding out how big of a prick Axl Rose is, I stopped listening to Guns N' Roses, and any bands/ solo projects involving people who came in to the band after he pretty much forced out Slash and Duff.

Then I came to the realization that the music is still incredible, regardless of how big of a chauvinistic ass he may be. Plus, I get to listen to my GNR and Buckethead again.
gs1000.gif

To me Axl has really improved much in his personality from all the news I followed, and he can really sound admirable from his speeches, but again it could just be me.

Jun 1, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #164 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To me Axl has really improved much in his personality from all the news I followed, and he can really sound admirable from his speeches, but again it could just be me.

This is true... I also tend to study the history behind the music I listen to pretty deeply, and certain incidents stick out sometimes that cloud my judgment on an artist. Some times you have to step back and go "that s**t happened 30 years ago... ashes to ashes" and just live with it.

Although I do agree with you about the Metallica thing, simply for fact that it isn't a fan incident or a live performance (or combination of the two) thing, they (okay, so it was mostly Lars) hit a deep core issue that's still pressing today (wouldn't it be ironic if they went the Radiohead/ NIN route in a couple of years?).

Jun 2, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #165 of 172
Well, to say a good thing about Metallica, they seem to be "good to do business with" - their iTunes catalog is the best 128 kbps I've ever heard. They must've looked into this, somehow, making sure the buyer really gets his money's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back