Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
Mar 11, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #4,426 of 4,588
this is difficult since my pc doesn't have coax out....and i just bought my amp and dac within the same month so budget's out atm....maybe i can get one of those cheap sound cards that have coax out...then i can have an output to the coax

I just realised something

Why not get a cheap Optical to Coaxial converter (and optical and coaxial cables) from Amazon? This did help me tide over until an Eitr appeared in the Clearance section recently

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #4,428 of 4,588
I have been testing the USB input of the Mimby, USB to Coaxial part of the Fiio E10, and of course the Schiit Eitr just to see how the Eitr and the A2 firmware have been working, Here are some quick notes

Mimby USB: Has a congested and energetic presentation of the music compared to the E10/Eitr. Feels bloomy at times (especially drums) Thankfully this is still less energetic than A1 firmware
E10: The soundstage feels more open now, details are easier to pick out and therefore give an impression of less energy when it isn't the case; it's just you being able to hear the other details better and thus focusing more on that
Eitr: Soundstage opened up a bit more and details are even easier to pick out, especially since higher frequency stuff like cymbals and organs have a special "air" that simply cannot be heard in the E10 or direct USB to Mimby

tl;dr so far: Eitr > E10 >>> Mimby USB

@julianlopez85 you may want to stick with your plan to get a decent device that can do USB to Coaxial converter. Some DACs out there still do USB to Coaxial so this can be a substitute for Eitr until they come back to Clearance section or when you move up to Biifrost 2 onwards (their Unison USB should have resolved the harshness I think)

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #4,430 of 4,588
Isn't it just a matter of time until Schiit replaces the USB chip in Mimby? They've put Unison USB in pretty much every other DAC...
So far what we only heard from the "main" Schiit thread is that the Unison USB is simply too hard to fit into the Mimby due to Mimby being the only Schiit product so far to be done on a dual-sided PCB

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #4,431 of 4,588
So far what we only heard from the "main" Schiit thread is that the Unison USB is simply too hard to fit into the Mimby due to Mimby being the only Schiit product so far to be done on a dual-sided PCB
Could be, although I remember when they were saying that Multibit probably won't make it into a Modi sized case and then one day they surprised us (and I bought it on the first day :) )

Mar 11, 2021 at 9:14 PM Post #4,432 of 4,588
I have been testing the USB input of the Mimby, USB to Coaxial part of the Fiio E10, and of course the Schiit Eitr just to see how the Eitr and the A2 firmware have been working, Here are some quick notes

Mimby USB: Has a congested and energetic presentation of the music compared to the E10/Eitr. Feels bloomy at times (especially drums) Thankfully this is still less energetic than A1 firmware
E10: The soundstage feels more open now, details are easier to pick out and therefore give an impression of less energy when it isn't the case; it's just you being able to hear the other details better and thus focusing more on that
Eitr: Soundstage opened up a bit more and details are even easier to pick out, especially since higher frequency stuff like cymbals and organs have a special "air" that simply cannot be heard in the E10 or direct USB to Mimby

tl;dr so far: Eitr > E10 >>> Mimby USB

@julianlopez85 you may want to stick with your plan to get a decent device that can do USB to Coaxial converter. Some DACs out there still do USB to Coaxial so this can be a substitute for Eitr until they come back to Clearance section or when you move up to Biifrost 2 onwards (their Unison USB should have resolved the harshness I think)
Yea could be a while before i invest in converter but thanks for the write up man appreciate it : )

Edit : Are you suggesting the E10 is better than the mimby? Might just mean i might have to sell my mimby :")

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #4,433 of 4,588
Yea could be a while before i invest in converter but thanks for the write up man appreciate it : )

Edit : Are you suggesting the E10 is better than the mimby? Might just mean i might have to sell my mimby :")

No, the Mimby is wayyyy better than the E10 even if you use the USB input of the Mimby. Keep the Mimby!

Use the E10 as only a USB to Coaxial converter, while letting the Mimby remain as a DAC to your amps

Mar 15, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4,434 of 4,588
No, the Mimby is wayyyy better than the E10 even if you use the USB input of the Mimby. Keep the Mimby!

Use the E10 as only a USB to Coaxial converter, while letting the Mimby remain as a DAC to your amps
Ah ok you were telling me the signal chain...gotcha when you posted that i thought you were saying one was better than the other...yea i was considering a cheap sound card that had coax out as an option just to feed the mimby a source haven't really looked at anything...then there's the raspberry pie and Digi allo mod option as well lots of ways to go and lots of money to spend :''')

Mar 16, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #4,435 of 4,588
Ah ok you were telling me the signal chain...gotcha when you posted that i thought you were saying one was better than the other...yea i was considering a cheap sound card that had coax out as an option just to feed the mimby a source haven't really looked at anything...then there's the raspberry pie and Digi allo mod option as well lots of ways to go and lots of money to spend :''')
Yeah there are lots of ways this can work out with their own caveats, happy testing :dt880smile:

Apr 21, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #4,436 of 4,588
My Modi Multibit has developed a problem now where music will play for only 2 minutes and 5 seconds and then goes silent. If I go into my sound preferences panel on my imac and switch to internal speakers there is no problem at all. If I switch back to Modi Multibit it will play again but only for 2mins 5 secs and then goes silent. Has anyone experienced any kind of problem like this or have any idea what's going on?

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #4,437 of 4,588
My Modi Multibit has developed a problem now where music will play for only 2 minutes and 5 seconds and then goes silent. If I go into my sound preferences panel on my imac and switch to internal speakers there is no problem at all. If I switch back to Modi Multibit it will play again but only for 2mins 5 secs and then goes silent. Has anyone experienced any kind of problem like this or have any idea what's going on?
Seems like it might be a USB issue on the Mac. Do you have any other PCs or a phone you can connect to the USB input to see if it’s specific to that iMac?

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #4,438 of 4,588
Seems like it might be a USB issue on the Mac. Do you have any other PCs or a phone you can connect to the USB input to see if it’s specific to that iMac?
I hope to get ahold of a laptop later today to try in place of the imac.
Thanks

Apr 22, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #4,439 of 4,588
I hope to get ahold of a laptop later today to try in place of the imac.
Thanks
CE12EC8E-186F-4B24-8091-FE14CAAA445C.jpeg

I’ve had good luck using a setup like below (without the dock, just connecting the USB camera adapter) to connect an iOS device to my modi Multibit. Adds some flexibility for direct phone connection if my Allo DigiOne to coax is not available

Apr 22, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #4,440 of 4,588
So, I tried with the laptop and established that the Modi was fine. I tried rebooting the iMac and what do you know, problem is gone. Maybe there was some corruption
with the USB system? Thanks Dana Reed for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back